LegacyGT.com

3rd motor rebuild on 08' LGT

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So i'm not getting any oil pressure when I'm cranking it...gonna drop the pan later to see whats going on. Any ideas? I know with new cams IAG recommends pressurizing the oil system with a melling pre-lube oiling tank but I was hoping to avoid that added cost.

So you removed the spark plugs, pulled fuel pump fuse and cranked the engine over for 30 - 60 seconds and nothing ?

Do you have a direct reading oil pressure gauge or a POS electrical one ? Not a big fan of anything other then direct reading gauges.

When it came time, I just started mine like I do every day.

Good Luck

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As long as the bearings were greased well, you may want to give it another 30 seconds. with the plugs removed you have very little force on the bearings.

Or call the person who assembled the oil pump and pick up to the engine and ask there advise.

IAG may have some better advise.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Getting oil pressure / flow to the turbo took a LONG time for me. Definitely longer than a minute. Pull the plugs, disconnect the oil feed line to the turbo, and crank it until you get flow there.

I thought someone, may it was you that removed the oil feed and watched for oil flow. Was going to say that, but could remember for sure.

Any updates from the OP ?

definitely took me longer than a minute or two with my N/A, i even used a homemade engine priming tool members here suggested, cranked and cranked and cranked till the pressure light went away... scariest thing of the build was having it all in and cranking and getting no pressure for so long. i'm over 30k now on it though

Builder had it running for about an hour yesterday, checking for leaks etc with no issues. Gonna fill it up with breakin oil and go for a drive today. Sounds healthy, and idle is pretty subdued with the new elh stromung exhaust and 264s, idles like a stock cam.

Put 50 miles on it and changed the oil. The cam lope is louder now, but nothing to be concerned about, still sounds pretty stock. Car sounds incredible with ELH and the Stromung exhaust. No more sound of inefficiency. Just 1450 more miles to go before the tune lol. Meth kit installed too.

Added Fortune Auto 510 coils, a 7200NEX headunit, a gtspec flat bottom steering wheel, 255/35s etc. Its a whole new vehicle. Now i just need to find someone who wants to trade me straight up for my teenage dream car, an E39 M5 :)

• 3 weeks later...

so injector 1 and 2 are pissing fuel from the o-ring -_-

gotta get in there again. after i replaced 1 the other started to leak...

ugh, if it isnt 1 thing its another. Only 165 miles since first startup.

Considering selling it for a good ol' reliable daily. Convince me not to lol

• 1 month later...
so injector 1 and 2 are pissing fuel from the o-ring -_-

gotta get in there again. after i replaced 1 the other started to leak...

ugh, if it isnt 1 thing its another. Only 165 miles since first startup.

Considering selling it for a good ol' reliable daily. Convince me not to lol

I have a Camry that will run 2 or 3 times longer than my 08 LGT with out any major maintenance. Now part of that is all turbo cars wear faster than N/A and part of that is b/c EJ.

Given the woes and thousands spent, I would suggest moving on...

When my stock LGT SB dies I'll probably buy a new OEM assembled SB, get my heads cleaned up and replace the tired bits but $4K is the bettre part of a great down payment also ;)

Thread needs an update...

sorry i've been mia for a bit, life has been kicking my ass. The car has 800 miles on it, but developed a p0302 code about 100 miles ago. Changed the coil pack and plug, same issue. Giving rough counts anywhere from 1-5 on the snap on diag tool. Right now sending out the injectors to be cleaned and flow tested, when i looked at cyl 2 plug it looked brand spanking new, like it wasn't getting enough fuel, so we'll see. Good news is compression test came back the same across the board, but low at about 105 per cylinder. Still not convinced it was an accurate test as even with the fuel pump fuse removed it was turning over after 3-5 chugs. Once i clean and re-install the injectors i'll pop back in for an update. After all is said and done though, this rebuild has left a bad taste in my mouth. Im really ready to move on, but i don't wanna lose so much money selling this car for half of what I invested. I'd be happy to get about 12K for the car, but no one in their right mind would pay that much even with a built motor with cams, meth and a 6 speed.

I'm sure the clean injector will solve your issue. Good Luck

These cars are great fun to drive when they run right.

If you need have the guy's at www.AZPinstalls.com check the car out. They have a real brick and mortar shop in NJ, not far from you.

Or have I told you that already...

Ha yeah Max I know of AZP. Went there for my last 2 LGTs. Had some issues but as I said before they took care of it so no bad blood. My close buddy owns a shop closer to me which is who I use.

Really hope this injector takes care of it. Otherwise another compression test and leakdown test is in order.

So good news! The injectors were cleaned and flow tested and reinstalled. The misfire moved to cylinder 4! So I swapped that particular injector to cylinder 1 and voila! misfire cylinder one. So the consensus is that the injector itself is getting bad connection. I dint move the harness purposely so i can determine if it is the wiring or the injector itself.

Super happy right now that its a minor issue. I have ID 1300s in my trunk anyway for when I get tuned, so swap the injectors over and good to up the boost and shoot for mid 4s!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived