LegacyGT.com

3rd motor rebuild on 08' LGT

Just a quick update, decided to keep the car, it will be a weekend car so - it is still sitting, can't decide if i want a stage 2 or 2 tuff block from IAG. $350 price difference, but don't know if its worth it or not. Decided to go with HKS Equal Length Headers for the build as well.

Going to keep everything else the same and see what kind of power i put down before i decide on flex fuel and bigger injectors for E85. I think i'll be happy ultimately with this turbo on meth.

Also considering doing some head work so i can rev out the motor a bit more, but not sure if its really worth the extra cost. ideas?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here is the next question - since ill have the heads off to redeck anyway with new valves and springs...should I install a set of 264 kelfords? I don't want to shift the powerband too much to the right, but I'd love to rev out to 8000. This STi 6 speed with the gearing is killin me - I think ill be happier being able to rev it out, but im concerned about losing more power down low.

I think if I were to do cams I wouldnt go any bigger than the 264 - 272 isn't too streetable from what I hear. No porting, just cams.

Since im redecking the heads and doing valves and springs anyway, I figure why not spend an extra ~$1000 to rev out to 8. I think the 3076 would hold power up there. Total cost will be around $1900 for the heads, not terrible. Not porting, silly under 600whp.

Going with IAG for heads and block

Kelford 264s with stock valves, upgraded springs and retainers. multi angle valve job, hot tank and redeck, Stage 2 tuff block.

They are going to ship it back to me as a long block.

Getting the heads pulled this week, should be back in business by mid-september.

Cant wait to rev to 8 grand :)

just went with ID1300s bc Im worried ill be at max idc with this 30R. Also bought an AP ELH and the Snow Performance Meth kit. Ready for this motor to go in already.

450 seem like a feasible # to shoot for on 93? Might be a little optimistic. Also went with 1300s incase i decide to go E85 in the near future.

Build List so far:

ID1300s top-feed

Aeromotive FPR

IAG Fuel Lines and Rails

IAG AOS

P&L Motorsports 44mm EWG Uppipe and Dumptube

Tial 44mm EWG

IAG Overflow Tank

Aisin TBWP

Killer B Oil Pickup

STI Intake Manifold

NGK One Step Colder Plugs

Tial Q 50mm BOV

TGV Deletes

Grimmspeed ECBS

Hallman Manual Boost Controller

Perrin 3" Inlet

Short Ram Intake

DW 65c fuel pump

AMR FMIC Custom Piping

IAG Stage 2 TUFF Block

B25 heads with Kelford 264s valves and retainers, stock port

Invidia Catless DP

Stromung Exhaust

Agency Power ELH

Snow Performance Boost Cooler Meth Kit

STi 6 speed swap with DCCD, Spec B axles and R180 diff

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking about sending the turbo back to ATP for them to upgrade it to the GEN2 CHRA. Any opinions, or just keep the GEN1 GTX3076R and see how it does?

Was really looking into the BCP X500+ as well. Really trying to stay stock location for now, rotated is a waste of $$ to me if im only shooting for 450-500

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Better to have a good-looking slow car than an ugly fast car...

...not that 400+ is slow.

That's pretty subjective--a lot of people would argue the opposite. Better to prioritize what you enjoy: speed, looks, or a combination. It all comes at a price, both time and materials.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Agreed, and I'm of the opinion the 17' Mustang looks pretty damn good too.

But I have my heart set on an SS 1LE, i've been shopping for them for a long time and I'm ready to pull the trigger next spring. I'll prob end up selling the Legacy for a cheap winter beater and get the 1LE.

• 3 weeks later...

Longblock has arrived! just need to dress it and drop it in!

Went with a new ELH and 1300cc injectors. considering flex fuel but have the meth for now. can't wait to get it back on the road for break in!

I guess this weekend it goes in ?

got to sell it to save for the SS 1LE....trader.... ;) How will the SS be in the winter time...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yep 1LE Camaro

So I am now super confused. The IAG break-in procedure states drive at varying rpm and engine braking for first 50, then change the oil. But Cam break-in states to run the motor at around 2K RPM for 20-30 minutes, shut it off change oil then follow engine break-in procedure. By keeping RPM steady for 20-30 minutes, isn't that exactly what you shouldn't be doing to seat the rings properly?

I am so confused, and heard so many different things about breaking in motors, from babying it for 1000 miles to running it easy for 50 miles and then beating the shit out of it with a dyno tune.

IAG states at 800-1000 miles it will be ready for high boost and a tune, which i will most probably follow as they built my motor, but what about the cams?

HELP! Was going to call IAG but want to see if anyone has advice on here 1st.

thanks

Yep 1LE Camaro

So I am now super confused. The IAG break-in procedure states drive at varying rpm and engine braking for first 50, then change the oil. But Cam break-in states to run the motor at around 2K RPM for 20-30 minutes, shut it off change oil then follow engine break-in procedure. By keeping RPM steady for 20-30 minutes, isn't that exactly what you shouldn't be doing to seat the rings properly?

What they want for the cam break-in is lots of oil pressure, which means higher RPMs. In other words, they want you to keep the RPM at least 2K for the first 30 minutes. You can vary the engine speed, but you should keep the revs up. Go for a nice gentle 30 minute drive on a deserted highway and vary your speed, downshift on hills to get some engine braking. Don't lug the engine, keep the RPMs up. Come back home and change the oil.

Gotcha. I figured i'd vary rpm from 2k to 3k for the first 20 minutes or so while its at the shop and others can keep an eye for any leaks, then change out the oil and go for a drive for 50 or so miles. The issue is i'm in NYC, which means no deserted anything lol. Ill cruise out to suffolk on LI after the first startup and see if I can't find some less populated area to do this. I may even tow it out east so I can break it in properly.

A buddy of mine did his build and followed the cam break-in guide, then drove about 20 miles and got right on the dyno for a tune and beat the piss out of it after changing the oil 2x. Car is still solid 20K miles later. While I am not an advocate of this, it seems like different strokes for different folks.

"Cam break-in states to run the motor at around 2K RPM for 20-30 minutes, shut it off change oil then follow engine break-in procedure. "

That's been the normal rebuilt engine process for decades. Most follow that process.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

Archived