LegacyGT.com

Hit red line.. power cut??

Soooo i got slightly irritated with some slow movers in front of me threw it in second and ran that bitch to red line for the first time... it felt like all power to the car just cut out 🤔 I know governors are supposed to limit your top speed but is there any other sort of (maybe) a protection against the car being thrown into redline like a governor?? If im even spelling that right hah

That is called the fuel cut rev limiter. It basically cuts all the fuel by that point, to prevent the engine from going any further. It's harsh on purpose, to make you not want to hit it again.

There is another way to rev limit, called spark cut, it's what you usually see (really hear) in racing application, spark cut lets you bounce of the redline. Spark cut rev limiter is used for lunch control systems too, creating that distinct sound.

Spark cut redline bouncing:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I'm not sure I would consider it a "feature". Most engines are not made to bounce off the rev limiter on a regular basis. That's where you start to lose rod bearings, float valves, and cause other potential damage.

boost cut

ahhem - nope not that at all.... has nothing at all to do with boost pressure:p

As noted it's the rev-limited fuel cut - designed to literally drop engine RPM back down - so as to implode the engine and keep it operating within it's mechanical limits. :cool:

ahhem - nope not that at all.... has nothing at all to do with boost pressure:p

As noted it's the rev-limited fuel cut - designed to literally drop engine RPM back down - so as to implode the engine and keep it operating within it's mechanical limits. :cool:

If you don't drop from 5th to 3rd :p

Archived