LegacyGT.com

Perrin steering damper lockdown on 3.6R

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did it affect any of the eyesight features?thats what I’m concern about.

Most of the issues that I discovered were people trying to install it on their WRX and not installing it properly, It's worth it to just pay a reputable Subaru shop to install the part. It looks like most people found it easier to install the part by going underneath the car. That's what the guys at the shop had to do too.

Most of the issues that I discovered were people trying to install it on their WRX and not installing it properly, It's worth it to just pay a reputable Subaru shop to install the part. It looks like most people found it easier to install the part by going underneath the car. That's what the guys at the shop had to do too.

It isn’t really a difficult job. I suggest following the suggestions in my 4th post in this topic & don’t try & take shortcuts. The service manual is quite clear in the tightening sequence & procedure which unfortunately that part isn’t (at least it wasn’t) included in the instructions for the Perrin steering dampener lockdown.

It would be extremely difficult to install from underneath on the gen6 3.6 because of the CAT, it needs to be done from the top of the engine bay.

Huge thanks to surmiser for recommending getting it installed. Well worth the investment.

You're welcome, but most importantly I'm glad you're safe. Handling mods may in large part be for fun and satisfaction, but there are definitely safety improvements to be had too. No downside to more predictable steering.

@redvenetian on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...
I'm checking with Perrin to confirm fitment. I don't know why 6th Gen isn't listed on their site...

I want it, but One forum member broke it and I don't wanna buy it and then feel like duh it doesn't fit !

Perrin would not confirm fitment for us, stating they have not done research or test fitted in a car. They said that these dimensions match then we're good to go... I measured and got about 1" can anyone confirm?

gap_measurement01x600.jpg.098f00902efbd44a9a5b4e50776e7b07.jpg

Before I ordered mine I measured that & it measured in excess of the 13.35mm but not by a lot, maybe by one or two millimetres. It definitely wasn’t 1” or anywhere near that.

That was with the Australian spec 2016 RHD made in Japan Liberty 3.6R, so maybe the US built LHD Legacy is different (or they have terrible tolerances :)).

That 13.35mm figure is the clearance for the bolt holding the two halves of the lockdown together. The two lockdown halves are forced into the smaller area shown in that drawing (at the bottom of that open area down near the rivet head) which compresses the rubber. So if you have about 1” instead of 13.35mm, is this part also wider? This needs to be less than the thickness of the lockdown halves to compress the rubber correctly.

After fitting mine I contacted Perrin to confirm fitment on our Australian spec vehicle & notified them of the important tightening sequence & procedure that was missing from their installation instructions.

Edited by XT-sub
Clarify

... So if you have about 1” instead of 13.35mm, is this part also wider? This needs to be less than the thickness of the lockdown halves to compress the rubber correctly.

As best as I can measure with a steel rule, on the vehicle the thickness of the Perrin lockdown measures about 5.5mm. So that gap needs to be somewhat less than that so the rubber can be compressed. I didn’t measure this before fitting so I’m not sure what it should be.

Edited by XT-sub
Clarify.

Surmiser summed it up pretty well in post #9 of this topic, which I agree with. Plus there are a few other positive comments throughout this topic, including my earlier comments.

I was first intrigued by Fate’s positive comments about the Perrin steering dampener lockdown in this subaruforester.org post fitted to an SJ Foz XT. Having owned an SJ Foz XT I knew the vague indirect steering was similar to our 2016 Liberty 3.6R but I couldn’t find any reports of anyone trying it on a gen6 Liberty/Legacy to see how successful it was or if there were any negatives, so I decided to try it.

I actually have this installed on my 2018 3.6R but I couldn’t do it myself. I ended up taking it to an install shop to not risk breaking it again.

As far as handling is concerned it has been great and stable at on and off ramps. Highway sway above 55MPH is reduced to almost none (less flex plus my rear sway bar helps). There are no clanks or clacks either and it’s been about a month successfully with this inexpensive mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surmiser summed it up pretty well in post #9 of this topic, which I agree with. Plus there are a few other positive comments throughout this topic, including my earlier comments.

I was first intrigued by Fate’s positive comments about the Perrin steering dampener lockdown in this subaruforester.org post fitted to an SJ Foz XT. Having owned an SJ Foz XT I knew the vague indirect steering was similar to our 2016 Liberty 3.6R but I couldn’t find any reports of anyone trying it on a gen6 Liberty/Legacy to see how successful it was or if there were any negatives, so I decided to try it.

Thanks, this makes me very curious about the mod.

BTW, all the Perrin links in this thread seem to be dead.

BTW, all the Perrin links in this thread seem to be dead.

Thanks, it looks like they changed their website around a bit which broke the links. I’ll correct those when I get the chance. [edit] Now done, let me know if they don't work. [/edit]

Most info can be found on Perrin’s website at: https://www.perrin.com/shop/suspension-brakes/steering-dampener-lockdown

or if that fails for any reason, do a search at: https://www.perrin.com

Edited by XT-sub

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just installed the torque solution version. Install took me about 20 minutes using the supplied Allen key. Would have definitely been easier with the Allen socket and a ratchet with extension but it's not terrible with the Allen key. I'm a righty but found this way to be easier:

Starting from steering wheel centered I turned it 1/4 turn to the right then installed the two pieces and caught the threads through both pieces. The head of the bolt was toward the passenger side. Then turned the wheel and tightened using my left hand. Position wise I was standing perpendicular with the driver fender as this seemed to give me the most leverage and access. I did the install from the top and I'm only 5'4" and did not have problems reaching the area.

The one thing I did not do was loosen the two bolts on the shalf. What I did do was lubricate the two sections of the torque solution damper with pb blaster as a lubricant. As per the Perrin instructions it suggested using a lubricant to make install easier.

First impression after install was with the car stationary u notice the steering response right away. While driving the steering wheel also had a "heavier" feel to it. Didn't seem as soft as before which is a pro. Handling is impressive but I haven't gone on the highway yet. I did get to about 40 and no pulling or noises or anything.

Just installed the torque solution version. Install took me about 20 minutes using the supplied Allen key. Would have definitely been easier with the Allen socket and a ratchet with extension but it's not terrible with the Allen key. I'm a righty but found this way to be easier:

Starting from steering wheel centered I turned it 1/4 turn to the right then installed the two pieces and caught the threads through both pieces. The head of the bolt was toward the passenger side. Then turned the wheel and tightened using my left hand. Position wise I was standing perpendicular with the driver fender as this seemed to give me the most leverage and access. I did the install from the top and I'm only 5'4" and did not have problems reaching the area.

The one thing I did not do was loosen the two bolts on the shalf. What I did do was lubricate the two sections of the torque solution damper with pb blaster as a lubricant. As per the Perrin instructions it suggested using a lubricant to make install easier.

First impression after install was with the car stationary u notice the steering response right away. While driving the steering wheel also had a "heavier" feel to it. Didn't seem as soft as before which is a pro. Handling is impressive but I haven't gone on the highway yet. I did get to about 40 and no pulling or noises or anything.

Thanks for the info,I had mine also(TS)but haven’t had a chance to install it.didnt know it can be installed without loosening the shaft bolts.

I understand the instructions tell you to but based on where the damper is being installed-personally I didn't see how loosening those bolts would make a difference. The two sides moved very easily into the slot without those bolts being loosened especially after I added some lubricant. FYI I also have the longer bolt still in there because being that I didn't loosen those bolts I didn't want to loctite in the smaller Allen bolt as yet. The shorter bolt would only make a difference for cosmetic purposes imo. I don't see how the shorter bolt would affect the operation of the part.

Also even though using the Allen socket and a ratchet would be easier I would say it's best to install by hand with the Allen key. You get a better feel if it's going in the right way and only takes a few more minutes vs. using a ratchet.

Edited by fullah

I understand the instructions tell you to but based on where the damper is being installed-personally I didn't see how loosening those bolts would make a difference. The two sides moved very easily into the slot without those bolts being loosened especially after I added some lubricant. FYI I also have the longer bolt still in there because being that I didn't loosen those bolts I didn't want to loctite in the smaller Allen bolt as yet. The shorter bolt would only make a difference for cosmetic purposes imo. I don't see how the shorter bolt would affect the operation of the part.

Also even though using the Allen socket and a ratchet would be easier I would say it's best to install by hand with the Allen key. You get a better feel if it's going in the right way and only takes a few more minutes vs. using a ratchet.

Thanks for the tips I have one on order and your feedback makes me feel more comfortable with doing this myself.

I still have the longer bolt in there and no issues. I've been driving it on the highway for two days now and I say this is an awesome mod. I feel like it makes the biggest difference around 35-40 mph but on the highway the car feels more stable. I take the same highway back and forth to work and before this mod I would have to constantly correct the steering while cruising and also while in a curve. This is no longer an issue. I just turn in and hold the wheel into the turn. It also makes changing lanes and dodging potholes much easier. The one thing I would say I noticed is u tend to feel the body roll a little bit more bacause of the tighter steering. I'm ordering the 20mm rear sway bar and eventually will lower the car. I think this mod with the rsb upgrade will make it worth it.

So is there a specific reason the longer bolt can't just be left in there rather than having to remove it? Is it purely for cosmetic purposes or is there a reason for the shorter bolt? Just curious.

Since they included the shorter one in the kit then I would venture to say that its not just cosmetic.

There are 2 specific reasons I can think of: 1) So that the bolt that's left in there is flush with the lockdown itself, preventing it from catching on anything that may or may not be in there while the rack itself turns. 2) Since the long bolt is being used to pull the two halves and is under considerable stress, it's prone to be damaged. For instance, I ended up bending mine during installation. So, replacing that with an unused bolt that sits flush is definitely what you'll want.

Besides, 90% of the work is squeezing the two halves of the lockdown together with the long bolt. Removing the long bolt and installing the short bolt is easy.

Only difference is steering is a tad stiffer,but I’m more happy with it installed..

This reads weird. Isn't the purpose of the mod to improve the steering feel?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk