LegacyGT.com

Slow subaru!

So, my wife bought a 2001 legacy gt (ej 252 5mt) with a bad clutch. And by bad I mean completely beyond repair it was down to bare metal and there was clutch pad bits all over in the bell housing. Any way back to the matter at hand, I pulled the motor and noticed the head gaskets were leaking. So while i had the motor out I got a gasket set and replaced all seals and gaskets. Inside of the motor looked good No cracked pistons cylinder walls looked good etc.. Got a 6 puck clutch and brand spanking new flywheel. Threw it all back together gave it a crank. And a nice spray of royal purple came from the passenger side head (a result of letting my cousin do that head. Putting the damn gasket backwards!!!) did the valve adjustment and all new mounts from front to back. And took it for a spin. I've got no power.. It goes but it just feels like it's lacking power in the whole range. I'm kind of Sad to do all that work and get such a sad return. First gear goes good second feels okay then third goes okay. But fourth with the pedal to the metal feels like trying to start of in third gear. Anyone have any ideas? I've checked timing 3 times and spot on every time. New air filter and plugs and wires. Running 95 octane.

Got a boost gauge? If not, throw one on and see what's happening with the inlet manifold pressure.

I don't but I am getting a cable soon to hook to my laptop and see what the computer is telling me. Or I'll just go get one and see. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Went and got a vacuum gauge and i have no vacuum leaks. I hooked it up to a scan tool and for some reason it's running rich. Next thing on my list would be to check the knock sensor. But of course i was too concerned with fuel trims to even check the knock sensor readings. I also have a whistle around 3000 rpm and it changes pitch depending on engine load. I thought it could be a bad cat or muffler but i don't see any apparent restriction with the vac guage. Anyone have an idea what that could be?

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Possibly an air leak post MAF? I don't know enough about the 252, but I'd try doing a leakdown and a compression test to see if it was reassembled properly. It's possible that something was missed.

Did you have the heads resurfaced and do a good cleaning of the deck's on the block ?

If so do, a compression test.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Unfortunately, that engine just does not have enough power for the weight of the car. Slow is a given. Handling can be very good, if you want to work on improving that, the car can still be fun to drive.

Archived