LegacyGT.com

2.5 buring excessive oil.

Hello All;

We have had a long and happy experience with our Subaru's but as of late we will no longer be a future Subaru Customer and just wanted to share our experience so others can avoid the oil burning 2.5 liter engines if they are pondering a purchase.

Our 2014 legacy with 45,000 miles now burns just under 5 quarts of 0-20 oil between scheduled changes which is about a quart per 1000 miles or $50 for additional oil between changes. The recommended oil change is now 5K miles down form 7K as recommended by Subaru. It will burn oil quicker as the oil ages. MUCH quicker.

I opened a case with Subaru who indicates 1/3 a quart burnt in 1100 to 1200miles will qualify for a short block replacement but try to get it replaced. One complication is You need to get the car back to the dealer so they can look at the dip stick and DO NOT go over the mileage since it appears Subaru cant perform simple math. The mileage MUST be between 1100 and 1200 for the 'Oil Consumption Test" test to be valid.

You are kidding me!! We tried earlier to make an appointment and when we had one we were turned away after arriving!

Riddle me this: 1.25 quarts of oil burnt in 2200 miles is what in 1100 miles? Subaru has no idea it appears. This process should be LONG Over.

They also overfill the crankcase by at least a 1/2 a quart so check this if you are in the middle of the same process. 1/2 an inch on the dip stick is 1/2 a quart.

After a run around attempting to finish a successful oil consumption test we decided to replace the car. I think this is Subaru's overall plan, where down the Customer. OK Fine but in the process they will loose Customers and hurt their bottom line. Will YOU still purchase a Subaru knowing they do not backup their product? Not I. Don't be foolish there are many other cars out there.

We were offered Subaru loyalty cash but just not interested. We want the one we have fixed.

So if money is no option and you want to take a huge chance and purchase a Subaru which may burn oil go ahead but I would recommend another brand.

We are now former Subaru Customers and if you have an oil burner good luck.

Not being a fan boy but you went an extra thousand miles on the test. If you were as concerned as you say you are, it would have been at the dealer 1,101 miles later. While they have had issues with oil consumption, they have been replacing motors on the cars they deem necessary. Did you buy a Chevy that says 1 qt of oil per 1k miles is acceptable? Subaru recognizes it's an issue rather than saying it's just the nature of the beast.

Our 3.6 has almost 6000 miles on the oil, it's still full, the car has 8700 miles on it.

Good luck with your case.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Strange, new member, no vehicle information, troll maybe?

OP, If your dealer cannot do simple math find another dealer...SOA pays dealers to replace engines that fall within the failure range. Bring it to me, we can do math, if it fails we'll be happy to put a short block in it.

Archived