LegacyGT.com

Harmonic Balancer: Fluid Dampers for 2005-2009 Legacy

Hello,

I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone on this site ever installed one of these on there cars?

2. Do they work? Could you see or feel the difference?

3. Is there a secret to getting in on without causing blunt trauma to the balancer? FYI, I have read there return policy and they

say treat this like it a new born baby.

4. Where did you get it from and where you happy with them? How

5. I have not tried to install mine. I want to get what I paid for, if it will fit properly. See Below

I purchased mine from THMotorsports online.

When I received it, I took it from the box immediately noticed that it look used, I have called them twice now, and I am getting the run around.

They offered $50.00 off if I would keep it. I told them I want what I paid for a NEW one, not scratched or anything. Just send me a new one....

This is what I recieved, thoughts?

Damper.png.db692bfb45eaab3b253b4dbdb2219e61.png

The ID looks like it has not been installed, looks like some one pushed it around on the work bench, that's where the scratches came from.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The ID looks like it has not been installed, looks like some one pushed it around on the work bench, that's where the scratches came from.

I disagree, you can clearly see damage where somebody tried and failed to install it. A crank pulley does not need to be hammered on; it should slide on easily. This pre-failed aftermarket part is setting off all my alarms. What problem are you trying to solve by installing it? Does it weigh the same as a stock pulley? If not, it may cause problems. If you do manage to cram it on, how will you get it off? That last question is critical in my opinion.

Dampers have been press fit on many engines for the last 80 years. Installation and removal is not rocket science.

I agree with Max.

They can be installed with a tool like this:

https://mobiledistributorsupply.com/harmonic-balancer-installer-1.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6LXIBRCUqIjXmdKBxZUBEiQA_f50Pg7mju995MW-hpT8YTMjz0eYCwUDUaVYJ9WoeBxvizsaAs-78P8HAQ#

Yes, they work.

No you won't likely "feel" any difference.

Good luck with getting THMotorsports to take it back because of cosemtic damage that does not affect the part's functionality.

Not these engines.

You got a plan for fitting that tool between the engine and the radiator (and condenser)?

The OEM dampers/pullies on Honda engines as a general rule aren't press fit either, but the Fluidamper for them is and I am pretty damn sure that the ATI damper is as well.

I hope you aren't under the illusion that the factory pulley is not press fit for serviceability because I can assure that is probably just about the last consideration.

There are many, many more factors that come into play in the engineering and design of automobiles, and serviceability is usually way down on that list.

I am going to ask you a serious question without the intention of starting an internet pissing contest, but how many different vehicles have you worked on in a professional environment?

I ask because it is not uncommon to have to disassemble nearby sections of a vehicle in order to perform a service.

Hell, it is all a moot point anyway because according to Subaru lore, there is no need to have a damper on the crankshaft at all.

;)

Tell Dewey at THmotorsports thats sad that they sent that and I am ashamed. Get your monies back and go to a reputable shop at Infamous Performance

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

I disagree, you can clearly see damage where somebody tried and failed to install it. A crank pulley does not need to be hammered on; it should slide on easily. This pre-failed aftermarket part is setting off all my alarms. What problem are you trying to solve by installing it? Does it weigh the same as a stock pulley? If not, it may cause problems. If you do manage to cram it on, how will you get it off? That last question is critical in my opinion.

I see that white powder looking stuff as just dust not a scuff where where it was slid onto a crank.

I think there would be more linear marks on the ID from where the crank was.

These dampers should slide on without much effort, the bolt and washer hold it on and the woodruff key.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Definitely looks used to me, or like someone attempted to push it on without much luck. Looks like they also stuck something in the keyway and nicked the edge.

Tell Dewey at THmotorsports thats sad that they sent that and I am ashamed. Get your monies back and go to a reputable shop at Infamous Performance

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think they bought it or have there stock located at Turn14 Distribution Horsham, PA

I put one on my car. It went on easily, just like the stocker. It is about the same weight as a stock pulley but balances a broader range of harmonic vibration. I put one on because I replaced all of the valvetrain with the exception of the cams and buckets. I would recommend it if you are changing the parts in the top or bottom end from stock.

• 3 months later...

I've been looking into getting a Fluidamper to replace the Perrin that my car came with and came across this video. This engine builder says that boiling the damper hub to above 200 degrees and putting on a dab of oil will help to get it on more easily.

Relevant portion is at 4:21.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1hX1liR7r8&t=4m21s]Do I need a Harmonic Balancer Crank Damper? - Jay's Tech Tips #31 - Real Street Performance - YouTube[/ame]

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Archived