LegacyGT.com

STI transmission in LGT?

Hey guys. I really wanted to do a manual conversion for my 2008 LGT but I've heard it can get quite expensive and complicated. I'm planning on running a fair bit of power through my current 5AT thats in there but I feel like the transmission may not hold.

Instead, I'm wondering if I could chuck in a 5 speed auto from an STI. Any ideas about any complications that I may have and what I might need to change for the conversion?

Thanks

It's possible but you need to know what your doing. Read the sticky's you'll find the thread about it.

Most of us will tell you to sell your car and buy a GT with a 5mt or a Spec B.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/6mt-master-swap-thread-107137.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey guys. I really wanted to do a manual conversion for my 2008 LGT but I've heard it can get quite expensive and complicated. I'm planning on running a fair bit of power through my current 5AT thats in there but I feel like the transmission may not hold.

Instead, I'm wondering if I could chuck in a 5 speed auto from an STI. Any ideas about any complications that I may have and what I might need to change for the conversion?

Thanks

Keep your autobox. not sure how much power you plan on making but the 5eat can handle modest turbo upgrades just fine if you do the right upgrades for it. A trans cooler, valve body and HD rebuild kits exist to make it handle upwards of 350whp. So unless you are going for big power, you may find that this trans swap plan isnt worth it.

Ahk. Thanks. I'm going to look into the rebuild kits. I was looking at running about 320-340whp. I was going to get a transmission oil cooler anyways and stick it behind the intercooler. And I'll see if I can find valve bodies in NZ. Parts are very difficult to come by here unless you go through the 1 month process of ordering from ebay or amazon

You mean a 6 speed manual from an STI. I don't know much about it other than people do it and it's VERY expensive. You'd think STI's were made out of gold...

NZ market has Legacy STI's with a 5EAT.

OP, you will have to dig a little more by researching but it's possible that you have the exact same autobox as your STI counterpart.

You may want to ask here, https://www.avoturboworld.com/ there use to be a guy named Paul there that was helpful on here in the old day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Since the engine was more than likely still the standard EJ engine, the transmission should bolt right on. Driveshaft and axles may be different though.

Which begs the question, why bolt up a transmission designed to handle the same output as a regular Liberty GT AT?

FWIW (I'm sure The 2Fiver can attest to this as well) I'm at 18psi on the VF52 and haven't had my 5EAT slip at all with spirited driving after ~6,000 miles. I am running a cooler and have been keeping AT fluid changes to 15K miles even before the VF52 went in. Knock on wood but I think it's holding the power just fine. I plan to dyno it to get accurate #s here soon for reference. Things I avoid; launching as well as going WOT in 5th or 4th gear if cruising @ ~2,000K RPM.

Cool! I never knew that! Isn't an sti with a 5EAT a paradox? :)

It's more like a 5EAT wagon with bilstein struts and an STI logo on the shift knob, ha.

I plan to dyno it to get accurate #s here soon for reference.

I'm glad I went in for a baseline on the vf46 before the turbo swap and supporting mods, curious to see what the powerband looks like now. I'll keep an eye out for your dyno chart so I have a benchmark to conquer ; )

It significantly easier to do the 6 speed swap when your car is already manual - even then you're looking about $3-4k in parts and labor - the labor for mine was $1700 alone (including reflashing ECU w/ AP to recognize 6th gear - this was to ensure cruise control would not "pop out" when used)

Archived