LegacyGT.com

Blower motor runs slow when it hot out

So, for a couple summers now, when its really hot and I have the AC running for 20 minutes or so the blower slows down its speed.

I shut the HVAC off for a mile or then turn it back on and the blower is blowing the hair on my head.

This past Sunday driving home from VT, outside air temp was 88F after about 90 minutes. I realized the blower was running slow, turned it off, for a mile or so and then back on. it was blowing the hair on my head.

The AC continues to work fine during the blower running slow.

So is that a http://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy25L-TURBO-5MT-4WDGT-Wagon/POWER-TRANSISTOR/49283108/73533AG000.html

issue or a Motor,

http://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy25L-TURBO-5MT-4WDGT-Wagon/POWER-TRANSISTOR/49283108/73533AG000.html

issue ?

Thanks,

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Likely both. The typical failure sequence is the blower starts going bad, pulls excessive amps, and overheats the resistor.

I'd buy both from a junkyard, swap the blower, and if it works perfectly, keep the resistor around for next time or eBay it.

That's kind of the plan, the local junk yard had a donor car that I got a rear wiper motor that's been working fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

FWIW, I had the same problem with a non-Subaru car. The bearing in the blower motor was seized. I was able to dismantle the motor, clean the bearing and re-lube it. As for the resistor ladder, I was able to re-solder the fusible links on it too. So although somewhat laborious, the repair cost was basically nil. Anyway, I guess my point is don't replace the motor if it just needs a lube job. :)

The motor dose not make any noise so I'm sure the bearing is fine.

JmP...yea that thought keeps running through my mind.

Resister will burn out if motor pulls excess amps. It will not be intermittent. Once it fails it will be permanent. Usually high speed goes out or only high speed works. The limited w/automatic HVAC sucks and can do strange things but Max is a smart fella which is why I listen when he posts. Checking amperage would tell the tale but you have to have expensive adapters tor the dvom or an inductive pickup. I would rig a direct hot wire from the battery and let it run. If it slows definitely motor. The resister is straight through on high speed. Hope this helps! So jazzed to see the most knowledgeable 4th gen on here ask instead of answering. You help me more than you know Max

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I walked around the yard and looked at the 5 cars they had, a 05 2.5i and 4 Outbacks 2.5i's. There was not much left of the cars.

• 2 weeks later...
Update, put the junkyard blower in today. Took about 20 minutes. Now just have to wait till July/Aug to see if it works when it on the 90'sF on the drive home.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, the past couple day's it's been 97F when I leave work, the blower has worked fine on the way home. The only difference in the DD home has been, I've taken the backroads over the mountain because the highway has had traffic issues.

The old blower would give up about 28 miles into the after work drive home on the highway. Looks like it may be a while until its that warm again. I hate the heat.

Well today while driving on the highway to come home, 92F about 5 miles left on the highway...yes the blower began to slow down...;(

PM sent to LatentWagen.

Noted. It says transistor though, so guessing different from the more typical resistor ladder found in most every car for the past few decades. I'd still take a poke at repairing the old one though. Can't be much going on inside that plastic doodad.

• 5 weeks later...

Update, After some research, I learned the 2.5i and GT's are different because the GT's with Auto setting have a transistor where the 2.5i which don't have Auto HVAC has a resistor.

I installed a new transistor a few minutes ago, took about 15 minutes to do. Two Phillips screws hold it in just ahead of the blower motor. It only goes in one way.

Will update next time its hot on the drive home from work.

The part was $48.00 on line from my local dealer. I stopped by the dealer and talked with the guy's and they had no problem giving me the on line price.

http://www.suburbansubaru.com/buy-subaru-parts.htm

Archived