LegacyGT.com

LED Headlight direct replacements..

After having mine for a year, I'd probably not recommend any LED, even the Morimotos. They just don't put out the nice focused light like you get with an HID. Just get a good halogen if you don't want to go HID retrofit.

After having mine for a year, I'd probably not recommend any LED, even the Morimotos. They just don't put out the nice focused light like you get with an HID. Just get a good halogen if you don't want to go HID retrofit.

The drop in kit from Retrofit source works very well with our projectors. You don't have to do a full retrofit.

The drop in kit from Retrofit source works very well with our projectors. You don't have to do a full retrofit.

If you're referring to the retro quick system, that's the way I'd go. I still consider that a retrofit since you're swapping projectors. I wouldn't put HIDs in the factory projectors either, sure it would work but you won't get the best performance. My LEDs are better in my Anzo projectors since they were HID but I didn't want to use them. I was going to get the 2-strokes but I watched a video comparing a stock halogen to a 2-stroke to an HID and the 2-strokes didn't have a hot spot like the other two. They are "bright" but not very focused and you could tell the light wouldn't throw as far.

If you're referring to the retro quick system, that's the way I'd go. I still consider that a retrofit since you're swapping projectors. I wouldn't put HIDs in the factory projectors either, sure it would work but you won't get the best performance. My LEDs are better in my Anzo projectors since they were HID but I didn't want to use them. I was going to get the 2-strokes but I watched a video comparing a stock halogen to a 2-stroke to an HID and the 2-strokes didn't have a hot spot like the other two. They are "bright" but not very focused and you could tell the light wouldn't throw as far.

No I'm not referring to the quick system. I'm referring to the H7 drop ins.

While I keep reading about the performance, until I find someone in MD with a full retrofit to compare to I'll say I doubt you lose that much.

The drop in is so much better than stock that I find it hard to believe I'd notice a difference between a full retrofit and the drop in.

Anyone have comparison pictures? One halogen and one LED?

I do (H11 vs. "3,000lm" LED), about 6m/20ft back from a white wall, ISO 50 on my phone.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f345/niZmO_Man/HID%20Retrofit/resized_DSC_0462.jpg

I'm yet to see an LED bulb that can replicate that halogen hotspot.

Sadly, Osram Rallye H7 isn't being made any more.

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Can get Osram NBU/Laser or Philips Racing/X-Treme Vision.

I was looking a t the morimoto kit and they offered a drl flicker kit. Do the low beam double as the drl? For those who got the drop in kit, did you get the flicker kit? Do the bulbs fit the housing and vehicle well?

I saw $120 for the bulb kit and $10 for the flicker kit. Is this a great price?

I was looking a t the morimoto kit and they offered a drl flicker kit. Do the low beam double as the drl? For those who got the drop in kit, did you get the flicker kit? Do the bulbs fit the housing and vehicle well?

DRLs are the high beam bulb at lower power.

The H7 drop in kit was pretty straight forward to install, just finding where to mount things is the challenge. Take your time, map it out first then start.

I didn't get the anti flicker kit- no reason to.

Here's where I mounted the kit.

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo254/TheOriginalTwoTone/81639094-3c2d-44e8-bd45-fede3e0c1806.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo254/TheOriginalTwoTone/20160206_162015.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo254/TheOriginalTwoTone/20160206_162008.jpg

I've heard a decent HID setup with solid state ballast is pretty much bullet proof. Since the lenses are designed for HIDs, I think I might go that route. Depending on the price......

Does your headlights take D2S bulbs? No? Takes HXX bulbs? It's not designed for HID then, it's designed for the halogen bulb.

Our stock projectors aren't designed for HIDs, they are a halogen projector.

Your point? They work fine, with a good cut off. I know if I took a day or two off work had my wife ride the bus to work then I could do a proper Retro fit so the light goes another 10ft down the road.

Guess what, I'm happy with performance. I know on paper there's a performance difference, but this is no different than my hobby- mountain biking.

There a lot of it's 5% stiffer in a lab stuff, but guess what- you can't tell the difference on the trails. This is no different.

Have you actually ridden in a Legacy with a quality drop in kit?

Have you seen a quality drop in kit side by side with a retrofit and measured the difference?

Plain and simple for a $150 and a few hours these can't be beat.

If you're doing 100MPH at night and need that extra 10ft of visibility, great do a retrofit, but I'd say for the average driver these are more than enough.

The issues are generally glare for oncoming motorists and putting too much light up close to the car (which makes it seem really bright, but actually hinders visibility)

No that's not an issue with ours as it's been said by me and others.

This isn't dropping HIDs into a reflector housing.

• 3 weeks later...
So LED or HID? I'm in the market for new lights again since I had one of my halogen go out in less than a year. I'm looking for longevity plus still be able to see well. I really don't want to modify the housing itself. Aside from wiring and mounting ballast or drivers, I want a drop in ready to work setup. The morimoto 2stroke LED's look like the best option for that. Does anyone use these and how do they compare to halogens? Will HID's require a retrofit? Which one will last longer, HID or LED? I don't want to be replacing bulbs every year.

Archived