LegacyGT.com

First post, first Subaru

Just left the mazdaspeed community when i traded in my '06 speed6 for my new to me '10 3.6r Limited. I drive for a living and am thrilled to not have to work a clutch anymore especially given how heavy the stock clutch on a speed is.

Anyway, I did something I dont normally like to do and bought a car from the first model year. I just want to be sure there haven't been any big issues that were found in 2010 legacy's that were taken care of in the next few years.

Next, during all my test driving, I never had any trouble pairing my phone with the bluetooth in the cars. When I went to test the one I ended up buying I didnt have my phone with me but figured it wouldn't be an issue. Now after owning this car, it seems I cant play music via bluetooth, but making a phone call isn't an issue. I believe this is the only 2010 I drove so I'm curious what year it became available that the radio not only make bluetooth calls but also plays music? I have the HK 6 disc without nav. Also curious if its a straight swap with a newer radio or if an adapter is necessary? I've chronically installed aftermarket stereo's in the past for all my previous cars and would really like to just stay as stock as possible with this one.

There's probably more but I can't think of anything else at the moment. Thanks for any info.

Others will know more than me, but if you do not have the media hub kit, you cannot stream bluetooth to the car.

I was just like you with stereos in my old cars, and decided I didn't want to do anything to this one...But that may change, as there are a few things that are starting to bother me. I do not think there are very many easy solutions for these systems, though.

There was a wiring harness change around the 13 model year if memory serves. If you are comfortable repinning a harness it can be done, check on cars101.com and see when it became an option I am thinking it was in 2014 or later but don't trust my memory on that. My recommendation would be to go aftermarket and use a module for the steering wheel controls, it will be higher quality all the way around.

Welcome, I too came from a modified 06 Mazdaspeed6 last summer and don't miss that odd clutch...

There is a good group of helpful guys here and lots of info on the 3.6R so don't be shy.

If there's one thing the speed community taught me is that being shy gets you nowhere.

There was a wiring harness change around the 13 model year if memory serves. If you are comfortable repinning a harness it can be done, check on cars101.com and see when it became an option I am thinking it was in 2014 or later but don't trust my memory on that. My recommendation would be to go aftermarket and use a module for the steering wheel controls, it will be higher quality all the way around.

Have there been any write-ups for the repinning? I can't imagine I'm the only one that wanted to do a unit swap with stock parts.

If there's one thing the speed community taught me is that being shy gets you nowhere.

Well, if your referring to MazdaspeedForums asking a question there would get you an answer you didn't need. Plan to Mod the 3.6R beyond stereo? We have lots of enablers here.....

I used this: https://www.amazon.com/SoundBot-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Wireless-Streaming/dp/B00RH29CJO

As long as you have the USB and the Aux jack. Could probably actually set it up pretty easily if you don't. It works great. Much better than the 2015 Ford Focus bluetooth. *talk button* "Please say a command." Bluetooth Audio. *beep beep beep* "I didn't get that" *presses button angrily again* "Please say a command."

I hated that thing...

Have there been any write-ups for the repinning? I can't imagine I'm the only one that wanted to do a unit swap with stock parts.

None that I can recall, there have been several threads on this topic but none that ever went anywhere. Apparently the will is lacking to actually do this. The best resource is ae64.com (member name SVXDC ) but apparently he can be MIA at times. If you are serious, prepare to put your trailblazing shoes on and please do a write-up in this thread, so it can be added to the mods sticky.

In order to stream audio, you need Media Hub accessory. It is nothing to write home about, though... you are still stuck with the horrible stock phone BT integration. But if you want it, I am selling one (from the 2011 Legacy, so not 100% certain it is plug and play). See for sale forum.

If you are thinking to replace the stock HU, I'd suggest you go aftermarket for sure. Plenty of write-ups. AE64 site has everything you need. I posted a thread in the Audio forum a few months ago that has a lot of tips and links in it so you can get an idea of what it takes.

im asking if its possible to install, lets say, a 2013 model stereo in place of mine. i just want to know what year it became an option to stream audio on the non nav units.

Welcome to subaru life! I drive a 2011 3.6R and I am one of the many enablers on this site to turn your stock subaru into whatever you want!

As for the nav...You can...but a better money upgrade is this

https://radio-upgrade.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=226

Its a direct replacement and far better then the stock nav that comes with the car. (I have the nav, its abysmal)

you can use the aux in instead of Bluetooth. BT streaming is according to cars 101 new for 2013.

Must be for all models, I have it on the 2011 with nav. They pair separately so its a bit of an annoyance.

Plan to Mod the 3.6R beyond stereo? We have lots of enablers here.....

probably just visually. i want a stock spoiler and a different grille. my last car was slammed so ill be avoiding doing that again. at most im thinking some springs/shocks (maybe eibachs/konis), no more coilovers, and some wheels with a better offset so the wheels arent so sunken in. im also into the idea of swapping the headlights with the darker outback light housings. im reading about the xrt or whatever it is tune that firms up shifts and throttle response and it seems like a good way to go. the throttle response on these things are awful. at the end of the day, i put 75k on my slammed speed in 3 years and will likely go the same route with this thing, so comfort is key. if the springs and shocks go too far with stiffness, theyll come off in favor of the stock setup again.

I have a 2010 legacy also. I bought this from Amazon to stream my music through Bluetooth. Plug it into the Aux & USB (to keep it charged) in your center console and you're all set. Under $20 and it works just fine. https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streambot-Hands-free/dp/B00MJMV0GU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487892807&sr=8-4&keywords=bluetooth+car+adapter

i dont have a usb port, just an aux (3.5mm) jack in the armrest. Im looking to be able to use the steering wheel controls to change songs and not have to pick up my phone anymore.

This

is cheaper then stock as well as superior also allows full use of steering wheel controls, it's a direct plug and play. There is a build thread on it here too

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236081

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

This

is cheaper then stock as well as superior also allows full use of steering wheel controls, it's a direct plug and play. There is a build thread on it here too

its under consideration. any big difference between that one and this one? says it fits the 5th gen.

its under consideration. any big difference between that one and this one? says it fits the 5th gen.

I compared to the two once I don't believe so. I'm not sure the latter does full steering wheel integration but email the guy, he's usually responsive and knowledgeable.

Only reason I haven't done it was I was laid off right before I was to purchase

I looked at both as these units as well and they appear to be the same. I have been really thinking about maybe trying to install a tablet like some of the 4th gen guys have done...has any 5th gen guys tried this?

WP_000010.jpg.51b4e6750952f934a83831d4859559a1.jpg

IMG_20110415_234934.jpg.2e99f0df5031a180f1e48b25edbbac79.jpg

This

when you say full control does that mean BT as well (talk/hang up buttons) and does it use the car's MIC?

Archived