LegacyGT.com

The Return to the Legacy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like toasted bearing grease.

Hate to say it, cause it ain't gonna be cheap and it's not how one would choose it, but boy are you gonna get a really nice wagon out of this. ;) Look at the brighter side, I say. Good luck on your rebuild! Forged internals for 500awhp you say? Sure, why not we say. Enjoy!

Looks like toasted bearing grease.

Hate to say it, cause it ain't gonna be cheap and it's not how one would choose it, but boy are you gonna get a really nice wagon out of this. ;) Look at the brighter side, I say. Good luck on your rebuild! Forged internals for 500awhp you say? Sure, why not we say. Enjoy!

Agreed! Lol. I don't think I'll be going straight into a 500awhp build..

How much do you think it has with its current mods?

SPT Intake, Cobb Catted DP, Prodrive Cat-back exhaust, Cobb AP V3 with Shelf Map.

I mean i know since the motor's out I might as well have all the work done.

If i were looking to do the forged setup what setup would you recommend?

Anyway,

Got the heads off, doesnt look too bad. But what do I know...

33165275595_e124d524ff_b.jpg

33165275665_ee41d76ba0_b.jpg

Bryan C.

NorCal - SupraLegacy - 05 LGT Wagon 5MT - 15 FXT Premium

How much do you think it has with its current mods?

SPT Intake, Cobb Catted DP, Prodrive Cat-back exhaust, Cobb AP V3 with Shelf Map.

Stock power is 250 at the crank which works out to about 193 at the wheels when new. That setup is basically stage 2 and the intake isn't really helping much over the stock intake because the stock intake isn't a restriction at that power level. Stage 2 is going to be anywhere from about 225 to about 275 at the wheels depending on the tune and the dyno and the temp on the day, etc, etc. You're probably in the 250 at the wheels range with that.

As far as forged internals, I haven't done a built motor yet, so I haven't done the deep research to really recommend parts, but I'm sure you can find plenty of threads on there that can. Look in to pistons, connecting rods, and nitrided crank. No idea if you want to monkey with cams or not. Might consider new valves, but you may just be able to get away with a good valve job from a machine shop. Cause the inside actually doesn't look that bad based on a timing belt breaking. You may have gotten really really lucky. See what the machine shop says. You may be able to reuse everything if it's not damaged. Might be worth the savings in parts to reuse it all. See what the shop recommends at this point, I'd say.

Like Dujo said it looks like you got extremely lucky. I'd still have all the valves pulled because some of them may be slightly bent but there doesn't appear to be any signs of piston and valve contact.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Thanks guys,

I was kind of peeking around at some manly pistons and stuff also gsc s1 cams and turbos and injectors. Then started looking at tgv deletes... The list kept building up.. so I'm back to not knowing what I want to do. Lol.

I think it may have made a little contact tho because some of the markings and some of the deposits off of the valves seem to have been broken off?

@magnusonsubie do any of those shops mentioned in earlier posts do machine work?

Also does anyone know of a kit to buy all new vacuum coolant fuel and oil hoses. I've broken quite a few trying to take everything apart...

Bryan C.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright Folks little bit of an update.

Went ahead and dropped off the heads last week to a machine shop in Hayward found out something was definitely messed up with one of the valves.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=246081&stc=1&d=1489128566

Also went ahead and went through and planned what i was going to buy and bought most of it? i think.

PURCHASED :

Tomei Timing Belt Guide

Perrin Inlet Hose

ACT Lightweight Flywheel 600480

Exedy Racing Clutch Kit 15804

Group N Subaru Motor Mounts

Gates Racing Timing Belt Kit TCKWP328RB

Gates Thermostat

Subaru Gasket Kit

ARP EJ25 Head Bolt Kit 2604701

IN CART :

Killer B Oil Kit

Tomei Poncam Camshafts

Fumoto Valve

MISC Vacuum / Fuel / Coolant / Oil Lines

Timing Belt Rear Covers - Since I stupidly broke them trying to remove the cam gears.

Also need to buy a stock LGT Airbox since everyone is telling me to get rid of the SPT intake So if you know where I could acquire one let me know!

IMG_0466.thumb.JPG.2f33a8a68f5f467e2cb5aee38d48ab70.JPG

IMG_0482.thumb.JPG.9e46b6be5e85963d718ba181c89f307e.JPG

Bryan C.

Yep, you've definitely got a bent valve. I assume the heads aren't too damaged and can be machined to accept new valves.

That SPT intake isn't helping you a bunch, but it's not really hurting you that much either. It may not be worth the trouble to go back to stock on that part if you don't have a stock intake in your possession. It would be one thing if you had a stocker on there and wanted to waste money on a new one, but since it's already on there ...

@dujo , you know what I actually just looked at the intake and i guess the SPT intake doesnt have a CARB legal sticker so i think i have to source a stock intake all the way from the accordian hose.

But for some reason the last owner included the air duct that comes over the radiator.

Bryan C.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all just a little update.

Finally got the heads back from the shop.

Got a 5-angle valve job as well as the buckets properly machined for the Tomei Poncams.

Also received and installed the killer B oil pick up.

Now I gotta go to the store to get a good scraper and some liquid gasket to reinstall the oil pan as well as the oil and water pump.

Can anyone suggest a good brand liquid gasket for this? Does it have to be different ones because oil and coolant?

Can't wait to really start putting everything back in! :cool:

IMG_0876.thumb.JPG.feb96c19575199238239dc7bfe4564ab.JPG

IMG_0877.thumb.JPG.ec2e5ad6b171a941dd67d29898167724.JPG

IMG_0881.thumb.JPG.989cf4d09af0f5ff399e2042383877e1.JPG

Bryan C.

Alright some progress done on my EJ255.

Still some reassembling to do...

Is it normal for the intake manifold to be misaligned with the tgvs? I found it weird.. well hopefully I can get this car back up and running this weekend.

FCC9037E-7EE4-4356-BEF1-E06914FB5F91.thumb.jpg.00f33cbd017c536cd051fac78e74fca6.jpg

Bryan C.

Not sure if you've seen this, but it should help with vacuum lines.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-2006-lgt-colored-vacuum-routing-diagram-143225.html

Did not see this thank you!

Did you get the blue T replacement?

I didn't replace the blue T everything seemed intact and didn't break when I pulled off the lines. I did replace the ones the lines that connected to it.

Bryan C.

I ordered the Exedy 15804 clutch kit.

I notice quite a few of you have ordered this kit and liked it. But I am running into issues here.

The throw out bearing is smaller than the stock one and will not slide into place.

Also the clutch is significantly smaller than the stock one too.

Import Image website says this kit fits 2005-2008 Legacy GT... Is there something I'm missing?!

https://flic.kr/p/SpW84g

https://flic.kr/p/T4LAPA

Bryan C.

I will need to throw some zip ties on these lines I guess.

So I found out that my output shaft has a TSK3 kit installed that's the reason why the TOB wouldn't fit onto the output shaft.

However, the EXEDY pressure plate does not align with my ACT lightweight Flywheel.

Now, i forgot where I saw this, but is it correct that an ACT clutch and pressure plate should be used with the ACT Flywheel?

Bryan C.

Archived