LegacyGT.com

Saw a spec B in person

Marketing disaster? Are you kidding?
OK snoman, I concede. I should have said "I personally thought it was a marketing disaster" because I hate the commercial.

I was attempting to make a humorous response to rao's earlier post. Sorry.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tribecas are definitely popping up all over the place here in NE-Ohio.

I think I've seen more of them, lately, than I've seen of all variants of the 05+ Legacy, combined!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

We have been selling Tribeca's very well. Our first two shipments (13 total) were gone in about 9 days. We have probably 10 on the ground now, but most of them have come in here in the last 4 days or so. Subaru customers love them and the dust in the wind commercial has brought a ton of customers in to see what it was like in person.

If I didn't rush to buy the last "white on black" LGT made before the 2006 color changes and had a little more disposable income right now, I would definitely have bought a Spec B.

It has everything I want in the Legacy. Navigation is a must. Manual trans in a must. Stiffer suspension is a must. Summer tires is a must. The sweet red interior is a bonus. In my opinion, these upgrades are worth the extra $5k. Not everyone wants a pure sports car... that's what the Impreza STi is for. If you expect pure performance AND the current Spec B's luxury features, it would certainly cost more than $34k.

+1

well said.

I guess they feel that if they are up in sales %, especially with everything that has happened in the past few month, they feel a little better than some of the other guys that have sales numbers below what they projected and against what they did this time last year.

i would not call it success, more like treading water without being dunked like some of the other guys have been through the past 45 days.

Why can't Legacy have brakes like the TriB?
I'm sure you could get that improvement by simply changing to an aftermarket brake pad. The brakes themselves are good and we have decent sized rotors. We just seem to be victims of "Silk and paper mache" brake pads that dont bite very well.

Lots of Trib's on the road here in the DC metro area. We sold like 40 of them last month here at the dealership i work at...

As far as the Spec B someone posted it doesnt feel like a $35k car, I drove mine home last night and I think it does... Once you sit in it and enjoy all that the car has to offer it feels like it, I have to admit I was going to buy a regular Legacy Gt but once I sat and drove it- I was hooked. Performance wise I dont think any Legacy Gt is fast but they are peppy and are very responsive to the driver. All in all i think with a few donated parts from some companies my Spec b will exactley what i want.

tHe HoV

I am still wondering why they kept the B9 part in the name. Subaru originally told us they would drop the B9 part for production vehicles. Does anyone actually call it the B9 tribeca?

we still have our Spec B (on ebay with a $36,500 reserve), but I think a local may buy it and trade his 2005 LGT that he bought when they first came out.

If I am reading that the right way the Tribecca out sold Legacy sedans (1,867 to 681) and Legacy wagons, net of Outbacks, (1,867 to 1,859). I know its only 8 vehicles but...

So, they sell just as many b9 Tribecca's as they do Legacy sedans and 3 b9's for every non-outback Legacy wagon sold.

Be careful when comparing the Tribeca to the Legacy Sedan. You are comparing one model (Legacy Sedan) to both of the Tribeca models (5 passenger, 7 passenger). But I think it is cool that the Tribecas are selling (better than at least the Baja), none the less.

This is just a WAG but I think SOA was forced to keep the combined name. They named it 00X originally. Tribeca got kicked around and the auto journalists got to know it as that. Then they mentioned B9X which made a lot of people confused (execpt people who knew about the "B" nomenclature in Japan). Add to it that it sounds close to something Saab would offer as a name. I guess in the long run, Marketing figured that it would be best to keep it as a combined name because you certainly don't want to lose people when you're trying to come out of the gate with a lot of thud factor.

Tribeca sales last month were likely more than double those of the Legacy wagon.

Recently I read a car review in the NY Times which stated that the Legacy sedan represented 2/3 of Legacy sales while the Outback sedan accounted for just 5% of Outback sales. If I apply those ratios to last month's sales numbers, I get:

_____________Sedan_____Wagon________Total

Legacy________1693________847________2540

Outback________212_______4026________4238

Estimate_______1905_______4873

Actual_________1859_______4919________6778

I think the estimate, within 46 cars of the actual, indicates those proportions mentioned above are still generally true.

I think Subaru is making far more money from those +$30K Tribecas than it is from the cheaper Legacy wagon.

BTW, why is the

function disabled here?

We have been selling Tribeca's very well. Our first two shipments (13 total) were gone in about 9 days. We have probably 10 on the ground now, but most of them have come in here in the last 4 days or so. Subaru customers love them and the dust in the wind commercial has brought a ton of customers in to see what it was like in person.

Same here at Subaru of Dallas. Tribeca's are really taking off. And that commercial is largely responsible for it.

Still, the BIG problem for me is engine choice, transmission choice and biggest of all, no curtain airbag for the third row...

it's partly because there is no window in the 3rd row passengers' line of impact. all the pillar materials exposed are soft, impact safe. there is also re-enforced steel throughout the D pillars. Tribeca recently received Quadruple 5 Star crash tests from the government.

Archived