LegacyGT.com

Q: 2005 Outback XT Cabin Filter

Does it have one? I watched a YouTube video showing how to change it so I would think the answer is yes. However when I went to the dealer to pick up an engine air filter they had a difficult time finding the part number for a cabin filter (I decided to pick up a cabin filter in addition to the engine air filter). They ended up resorting to a parts catalog instead of their computer. They were able to find a part number and provided me a filter. However I'm unsure the vehicle has one and I don't want to begin tearing part of the interior of the car apart to find out.

If you have a early one, mine was built May 2004 there is a place but not a filter, may be.

I have never looked to see if mine has one.

I get plenty of air flow, and its not worth the PITA to me.

Now I did replace the filter in my 2009 Spec B with a piece of white and blue filter material we use on electric motors. I did that just after I bought in in 2011...some day may be I'll think about replacing it.

I'm 62y/o, I made it all those years without a car that had those filters...how did I survive...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks everyone for your responses. Here's what I make of the responses:

• All Outbacks have a spot for a cabin filter but not all of them have the actual filter installed
  • Later production builds have an easy access panel to replace the filter.
  • Those which lack this panel can be outfitted with a retrofit for it

Does this sound about right?

I don't think my 2002 Legacy had a filter in the filter spot either. It seems like such a standard feature to just entirely omit as a manufacturer... Especially when you've spent the money on engineering a place for one.

:confused:

It is puzzling. Perhaps it's the cost...can you believe it cost me $30 for this?

cabin_filter.thumb.jpg.dc123534435bd0ffe28d9b42462f5048.jpg

You can purchase them much cheaper off of Amazon or RockAuto.com. The price at the dealership is ridiculous.

You've got that right. I just ordered it from Amazon...$6.43 shipped. I'll be returning the dealer one over the weekend.

EDIT: For future reference the cabin filter part number is: 72880XA00A

My 05 didn't have a filter. Replacing the filter involved pulling a ton of center console plastics off and dropping the glove box. I'm about to replace it again, this time I'm gonna dremel a hole in the back of the glove box to make it easier to replace the damned thing.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

My 05 didn't have a filter. Replacing the filter involved pulling a ton of center console plastics off and dropping the glove box. I'm about to replace it again, this time I'm gonna dremel a hole in the back of the glove box to make it easier to replace the damned thing.

It looks involved. Not too bad but more so than it should require. Unfortunately my VIN indicates I do not have the easy access panel so I have to go through the motions. This video appears to do a good job of explaining it:

I may just bite the bullet and ask my mechanic to replace it...depending on what he'd charge to do it. At his hourly rate it might be worth it.

EDIT: Just called my mechanic...he'll do the cabin filter for $48. I think I'm going to go that route.

the retrofit kit is what made doing this easier for BL/BPs that didnt come with the filter. it was essentially a dremeled panel with a access door.:lol:

Archived