LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Kit To Use Now That Gates Is Made In China

Haven't heard any members using the ACDelco kit, but the brand is reliable. You can be our 1st to keep us updated on this kit.

Do you know where all the pulleys where made from? This would be good info for the rest of the members.

Unfortunately, I didn't see this thread until after installation so I didn't get that information.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just installed this kit on the Baja this past weekend, looks like an OEM tensioner and good quality idlers (GMB and Koyo bearings). The water pump isn't OEM (NPW, which is a Japanese aftermarket water pump manufacturer), but it looks to be a quality piece, and it's got the good ol' cast impeller rather than the new stamped steel one, if that's a concern. Just needed the least little bit of RTV to shore up the paper gasket. It comes with a new thermostat gasket, too, so nowi have a spare, I guess.

May be an apples-to-oranges comparison going from SOHC with fixed cams to DOHC with variable timing on all 4 cams, but unless Continental changes their kits sometime in the next 13,000 miles or so, I'll most likely be going that route with the LGT as well.

People get all concerned about the water pump impeller but the pump's bearing is probably more important. If the bearing seizes you are in real trouble.

I'm sure the stamped impeller is a little cheaper to manufacture than the older cast impeller, but with a seized bearing they are both equally worthless.

I just installed this kit on the Baja this past weekend, looks like an OEM tensioner and good quality idlers (GMB and Koyo bearings). The water pump isn't OEM (NPW, which is a Japanese aftermarket water pump manufacturer), but it looks to be a quality piece, and it's got the good ol' cast impeller rather than the new stamped steel one, if that's a concern. Just needed the least little bit of RTV to shore up the paper gasket. It comes with a new thermostat gasket, too, so nowi have a spare, I guess.

May be an apples-to-oranges comparison going from SOHC with fixed cams to DOHC with variable timing on all 4 cams, but unless Continental changes their kits sometime in the next 13,000 miles or so, I'll most likely be going that route with the LGT as well.

The only issue with Continental TB328LK4 for the Gt is the water pump. You need either a Gates water pump or the Subaru one. No other options exist that I know right now. Subaru pump was $100 from Subaru warehouse so worth it to me to go factory pump.

Yup, I saw where you posted that. I hadn't started shopping for parts for the LGT yet, but it looks like Rock Auto carries Continental kits without the water pump, as well as without the water pump or tensioner. I'll probably go with one of those (depending if it's cheaper to get the tensioner with the kit or separately) and pick up an OEM water pump.

Yup, I saw where you posted that. I hadn't started shopping for parts for the LGT yet, but it looks like Rock Auto carries Continental kits without the water pump, as well as without the water pump or tensioner. I'll probably go with one of those (depending if it's cheaper to get the tensioner with the kit or separately) and pick up an OEM water pump.

Be careful because the one that says it comes with the tensioner looks like it just has the tensioner pulley not the entire tensioner assembly. I would definitely try to confirm. The idlers are top notch though. Ntn, nsk, and koyo. I'm just going to put up the water pump for sale. It's a good aftermarket pump and fits all the other turbo Legacy and Wrx

I was seeing that as well- the description seems to mention a tensioner, but the pictures don't show it. Same story when I went looking on Amazon, etc. One of the kit options even says that it includes the hydraulic tensioner right in the catalog view, but it only shows the pulley in the picture. Might just buy the kit, see what shows up, and buy the tensioner separately if need be.

• 5 months later...
Just hit 85k so I know this is coming soon. I know this wasn't brought up to long ago but I wanted to know if OEM still seems like the way to go? Or has gates gotten better? Aisin come out with something? Another company?

• Moderators
Just hit 85k so I know this is coming soon. I know this wasn't brought up to long ago but I wanted to know if OEM still seems like the way to go? Or has gates gotten better? Aisin come out with something? Another company?

Use an OEM cast impeller waterpump. For idlers, try to get ones stamped with NTN and made in Japan.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Aisin or Continental. I chose the Aisin kit and have been happy with the purchase.

It's Gates TCK328 correct? Do they have 2 suppliers (China/Japan) for the idlers so there's still a chance to grab the ones made in Japan? Or is it a matter of finding someone who has an old "version"?

If I buy the belt separately, is the OEM one still better than the Gates T328RB? Is their "racing" timing belt worth the difference than their standard?

Sorry, I just realized you have a 5th gen. Rock Auto shows a Conti kit for 275 that includes a water pump. It's a no brainer... Buy a Gates kit at your own risk. I wouldn't install it on a customers car or my car so I will not recommend it to others.

The continental kit has the wrong water pump. Ask me how I know. Everything else works. I used contential kit and oem wp so I have a 3 port wp that I can't use but I can't find any conformation on what it would fit. Gates is the only other option for the wp no other mfg makes the 5th gen wp.

Ok so Conti TB328LK4 and an OEM WP or OEM everything sound like the only 2 good options.

I will say this the continental kit is made in Europe actually and a lot of other makes have great success with them. But to answer your question IMO yes those are about the only safe options atm.

I hate to keep bring this up but just want to make sure I cover all my basis. IF I can find a Gates belt kit that does indeed have the Japanese bits instead of the Chinese parts via someone who bought but never used the kit, should I still avoid it? And the gates WP is compatible? Or would I still need the OEM? And the model numbers that should be compatible are TCKWP328/TCKWP328RB? Anything with TCK328 basically?

Actually Gates makes a 5th gen wp. I actually forgot I even had it and found it last night when I was going through my extra closet looking for my old SD cards. I can check the mfg country and post some pics of everything I used later this evening if that will help you decide.

Edit: The Gates wp is made in China pics below.

28bdfb9f9048fb6a1812d97b2ede6949.jpg

53349bb9fddeace21edfb4c1a506688c.jpg

For my 08' I just pieced a kit together on Amazon -

Aisin WPF-023 Engine Water Pump - $62.78

ContiTech TB328K1 Timing Belt Kit - $125.11

Genuine Subaru Thermostat & Gasket Kit 21200AA072 21236AA010 - $19.00

Hope this helps. I am staying far far away from Gates with this new longblock.

For my 08' I just pieced a kit together on Amazon -

Aisin WPF-023 Engine Water Pump - $62.78

ContiTech TB328K1 Timing Belt Kit - $125.11

Genuine Subaru Thermostat & Gasket Kit 21200AA072 21236AA010 - $19.00

Hope this helps. I am staying far far away from Gates with this new longblock.

That waterpump wont fit the 5th gen, just for clarity.

• 6 months later...

New member, three posts, all promoting timingbeltkit.com

Seems like you might have a vested interest in promoting your website.

At least the posts have a genuine sound to them, not broken English or anything.

Or maybe you are that impressed with the price and service that you signed up for an account here to post in every timing belt discussion. Doubtfull

If I were you I'd sign up as a vendor and tell it like it is. People can see through this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced mine last September.

Aisin TKF-004 Engine Timing Belt Kit w/ New water pump.

OEM Subaru Thermostat & gasket kit 21200AA072 - 21236AA010.

I chose to buy a OEM Subaru water pump but the one I got with the Aisin kit was made in japan still.

The only thing that's not made in japan was the belt itself. all other parts were quality japan made..

I replaced mine last September.

Aisin TKF-004 Engine Timing Belt Kit w/ New water pump.

OEM Subaru Thermostat & gasket kit 21200AA072 - 21236AA010.

I chose to buy a OEM Subaru water pump but the one I got with the Aisin kit was made in japan still.

The only thing that's not made in japan was the belt itself. all other parts were quality japan made..

The water pump in the picture won't fit a 5th gen legacy gt. Did the one you got with the kit fit or no?

Archived