LegacyGT.com

What would you do?

If you had my car, stock and ready for fun, what you do to her?

OBP 2005 GT Lim MT, 78k miles (34k on the tranny), tan interior, with replacement Perrin Intake tube. That's ALL!

I have some basic ideas of what I want to do but am open to suggestions. Most of you, I assume, are more experienced in what works or doesn't for both physical appearance and performance.

So I ask, "If it were your car, if you had it to do over again, what would you do?"

Very important - replace the up pipe with a catless up pipe and remove the filter screen from the banjo bolt on the turbo feed line.

While doing that, if you want some fast, install a 3" downpipe and a Cobb AccessPort with a Stage 2 tune. And enjoy!

Take good care of your oil, and this car will last a very long, fun time.

If you don't want to spring for the downpipe right away, still get the AccessPort and install a Stage 1 tune. This not only provides for a substantial performance improvement over stock but will increase engine life by reducing burnt exhaust valves.

Very important - replace the up pipe with a catless up pipe and remove the filter screen from the banjo bolt on the turbo feed line.

While doing that, if you want some fast, install a 3" downpipe and a Cobb AccessPort with a Stage 2 tune. And enjoy!

Take good care of your oil, and this car will last a very long, fun time.

If you don't want to spring for the downpipe right away, still get the AccessPort and install a Stage 1 tune. This not only provides for a substantial performance improvement over stock but will increase engine life by reducing burnt exhaust valves.

I will definitely be getting an AccessPort and replacing down pipe later....have looked into the banjo bolt but no actions taken, yet.

She's getting a new tranny right now so when I get her back, I'll get into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• I Donated Too

What is your budget for mods? I assume you would want to spend on it slowly in which case improve braking and handling first before you start adding engine improvements. Make sure your brakes are tip top, good condition rotors and better pads at least, then you can add stainless brake lines, flush and clean fluid and then start thinking about adding better sway bars and even consider different suspension. Then add power.

Power is nothing without control.

The reliability mods relative4 told you about (catless uppipe and removing banjo bolt filter) ASAP. You can often find catless uppipes removed from 2007+ Legacies, other compatible Subarus. The nice thing about replacing the uppipe with OEM is you can get stock appearance, good heat shields and a built-in flex section, plus a perfect fit.

If you have not had the timing belt service done, I would do that ASAP. It is due at 105K miles OR 105 months, whichever comes first. 105 months is about 9 years, so if yours has not been done it is due. Always replace the tensioner and idlers when you do a timing belt service. Use and Aisin or Continental ContiTech kit and get OEM quality components while saving money. You can replace the water pump at the same time, since you are in there. You old water pump is probably still good for awhile, so up to you.

Change out all your fluids if you don't know this has been done recently. Use Motul 300 gear oil in transmission and rear diff. Expensive, but works well.

Of course, check all your hoses and belts and replace any that are showing their age. Check CV boots for cracks or leaks. Check power steering system for leaks.

I would leave the power mods for later and upgrade the suspension first. I have Koni sport shocks all around on stock springs. There are several good spring/shock combinations which you can learn more about on the forum here. Upgrade the rear sway bar, at least. I have the Whiteline adjustable sway bars front and rear. Check your sway bar endlinks. Moog makes beefy sway bar endlinks and they are very inexpensive compared to the overpriced aftermarket stuff that performs no better. Replace any worn out suspension bushings while you are in there.

Check your front lower control arm bushings. They are a known weak spot and tend to get torn up. You can improve your handling quite a bit by replacing with the Group N control arm bushings (search the forums for more info).

OEM brakes are a bit of a weak spot. When ready to replace, look at Stoptech "Sport Performance" brake pads and Centric "Premium" rotors. Very inexpensive compared to others and work very well on a street car. Flush your brake fluid at the same time using a good quality synthetic DOT 4 fluid. Valvoline Synthetic DOT 4 is fine unless you really want to spend more.

So much good info!

My budget, for now, will be focused on a FEW driver comfort mods (Jazzy Aux, Phone Mount, FLOOR LINERS since mine didn't come with any).

After that, was probably going to go ahead with handling/braking upgrades. I have just come out of an 07 Accord VP so the stock power is VERY much appreciated at this point. I have about $1000 or so to put in this year (tranny replacement killed any hopes for a big mod budget this year).

Perhaps more than you wanted to know! [emoji38]

One last piece of advice - if you read legacygt.com too much, you will start to worry your car will explode at any moment. Most do not.

I noticed.

I've started to equate it to Web MD in some ways....

I'm on board with Miles' suggestion. Think of preventative and scheduled maintenance as laying a good foundation. If you neglect do that, and you add power or anything to the car, you risk causing damage and much more expensive problems. Fluids, timing service, spark plugs, tires, brakes, bushings, etc all really DO make a difference, even if you car will still be "stock" afterwards...

Perhaps more than you wanted to know! :lol:

One last piece of advice - if you read legacygt.com too much, you will start to worry your car will explode at any moment. Most do not.

Thank you for saying this.

I would say do the banjo bolt filter, OEM catless uppipe, and Timing Belt.

I agree that those things should happen first. Enjoy the car as it is and then next year or whenever you come up with some more money, start delving into performance.

I'll have a look at my service records and see if the timing belt has been done (just got it a little over a month ago) and will start with the basic checks/fixes.

After that, I'll move on with the interior things I want and then go ahead with a Sway Kit and brake line upgrades.

Anything with appearances? Debadging, emblem layovers/changing, interior lighting, trim options, etc., ?

Anything with appearances? Debadging, emblem layovers/changing, interior lighting, trim options, etc., ?

Appearance stuff can get pretty expensive. Rattsl has done some cool DIY aero stuff and his car looks very aggressive. There are a couple lips on eBay that make the front end look a lot better. I had the BaysonR on my USDM bumper before I swapped it to a JDM bumper. Debadging is very much a personal preference. I prefer the subaru stars badge but you could get an overlay of the stars badge to change up the color. My rear badge is true carbon for the stars with then blue paint for the background.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Make sure your brakes are tip top, good condition rotors and better pads at least, then you can add stainless brake lines, flush and clean fluid.

+1 on the brakes, But the SS lines might not be worth it. I spent an hour getting one corner done with Stoptech lines and paid a mechanic to do the rest. The tech was also annoyed with what he thought would be a simple task $$$. I just bought them because I thought it would compliment the setup and the fact that I like tooling around on the car for no good reason, sometimes.

Stage 1 and OTS wasn't a great solution either, for me anyway. The boost would surge, back off, surge again under WOT in 3rd and fourth. Stage 2 with a custom tune is where you want to be if you're going to make the initial investment on an AP and expect a smooth power delivery.

+1 on the brakes, But the SS lines might not be worth it. I spent an hour getting one corner done with Stoptech lines and paid a mechanic to do the rest. The tech was also annoyed with what he thought would be a simple task $$$. I just bought them because I thought it would compliment the setup and the fact that I like tooling around on the car for no good reason, sometimes.

Stage 1 and OTS wasn't a great solution either, for me anyway. The boost would surge, back off, surge again under WOT in 3rd and fourth. Stage 2 with a custom tune is where you want to be if you're going to make the initial investment on an AP and expect a smooth power delivery.

I've considered going stage 2 with parts (UP/DP, intake, exhaust, TMIC?) before ever getting the AP. Also, have thought about just doing the port and OTS Stg1 for the initial power gain...but I'm "car-tarded" so this will be a hard decision. My best bud Austin is an experienced Subie owner (LGT and STi in past) so I'm leaning on him for things as well.

Appearance stuff can get pretty expensive. Rattsl has done some cool DIY aero stuff and his car looks very aggressive. There are a couple lips on eBay that make the front end look a lot better. I had the BaysonR on my USDM bumper before I swapped it to a JDM bumper. Debadging is very much a personal preference. I prefer the subaru stars badge but you could get an overlay of the stars badge to change up the color. My rear badge is true carbon for the stars with then blue paint for the background.

I've seen replacement emblems that are NICE. Especially this one...

96bf7b0037f3fc52670a1ed064c814c4.jpg

IDK, I guess I just want to customize it as much as I can but at same time, don't want to completely deface it either.

Please don't make the mistake of changing out exhaust or intake without getting tuned. This is the way to cause detonation and expensive engine damage. Uppipe is good, do that ASAP and you don't need a tune for that.

Wait on the other stuff until you can do it all at the same time.

Intake, IMHO, is a waste. Pointless noise. The car has a well designed intake until you start getting into really high boost.

"Upgraded" TMIC also a waste. Change the parts that really matter unless you just like wasting money.

Please don't make the mistake of changing out exhaust or intake without getting tuned. This is the way to cause detonation and expensive engine damage. Uppipe is good, do that ASAP and you don't need a tune for that.

Wait on the other stuff until you can do it all at the same time.

Intake, IMHO, is a waste. Pointless noise. The car has a well designed intake until you start getting into really high boost.

Fair 'nuff.

I've considered going stage 2 with parts (UP/DP, intake, exhaust, TMIC?) before ever getting the AP. Also, have thought about just doing the port and OTS Stg1 for the initial power gain...but I'm "car-tarded" so this will be a hard decision. My best bud Austin is an experienced Subie owner (LGT and STi in past) so I'm leaning on him for things as well.

Getting an AP is step 1 on the road to stage 2. Well, probably an up pipe too with your 05. I don't know if the up needs a tune. I think stage 2 needs a catback but that's open for debate. 16-17 psi on the stock TMIC is fine. The only aftermarket one that makes sense money wise is the grimmspeed piece. Stage 1 is probably OK too but I think even that requires a good tuner to look at. It's definitely good to have support from a Subie friend but you will also get great insight from some of the members on here.

I'm definitely aware of the benefit of this site. You guys are awesome and have been a big help in my still-early stages of searching and ownership.

I would love to just start with coil overs and big boy brakes but new those are $$$$...

*sigh* Why can't I be rich?

.... Because I'd have a super car and be in the same boat!!

"Upgraded" TMIC also a waste. Change the parts that really matter unless you just like wasting money.

16-17 psi on the stock TMIC is fine. The only aftermarket one that makes sense money wise is the grimmspeed piece.

TMIC is a good idea if upping the boost seeing as the plastic ones are getting to be 10+ years old now and the end tanks like to separate. I personally have the GS TMIC on my vf52 stage 2ish set up and its awesome. Not only does it work well but it also looks good in the engine bay.

2005 Vader Wagon

TMIC is a good idea if upping the boost seeing as the plastic ones are getting to be 10+ years old now and the end tanks like to separate. I personally have the GS TMIC on my vf52 stage 2ish set up and its awesome. Not only does it work well but it also looks good in the engine bay.

Pics? You can't say it looks awesome and not provide [emoji2]

Agreed, GS TMIC is a nice piece as well as one that actually performs well. But it is $$$ and the man is trying to keep the costs down. Maybe I am being harsh, but there are so many ways to spend the money.

Pics? You can't say it looks awesome and not provide [emoji2]

Lots more pics of my car in my signature link. Also shows the progression of what I've done.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161230/290014d4f8c43656caf8583c1be74803.jpg

2005 Vader Wagon

I realize it's a hard one to nail down but as stated in the beginning, I just want ideas.

And I'm assuming the Tapatalk app doesn't allow access to signature links....or much of anything. 😥

Archived