LegacyGT.com

I need help please!!!!

I have an issue with my car and nobody can properly diagnose it. Durning cold starts my car will puff out white smoke(not blue). The car seems like it has blow by but when revving there is none. I have a catless up pipe, catted dp, GFB bov, and Cobb intake but no tune what so ever. When driving the dipstick shoots up and leaks oil. But also leaking from what looks like below the valve cover now. I don't have any power loss what so ever. But when I come to a stop smoke comes from under the hood smelling like oil burning. Any help is greatly appreciated. Me and my mechanics can't diagnose it. Seems like blow by, blown head, or Turbo or something. All started out of nowhere. Thanks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to get more diagnostic info. Suggest a compression and leakdown test. You have no loss of coolant? Do you have any coolant smell?

You should understand putting a higher flow exhaust on these turbo cars (and changing intake) without tuning them leads to problems, such as detonation under boost, which can damage the engine badly.

If your dipstick is shooting out of the tube and your mechanic was unable to diagnose it in the time it takes to hook up and use a compression tester, then you need a new mechanic.

If you ran a 3" downpipe and a Cobb intake on a stock tune, then you need... then you... words fail me.

• I Donated Too

all of those mods and no tune will lean the engine out like crazy. You must have been well pleased with the increase in power after adding those mods and having no extra fuel to keep the cylinder temps under control! Your fun is now at an end unfortunately.

All of your issues point clearly to a cracked ringland/cracked piston. It's time to stop driving the car before you damage it even more and pull the engine. Subaru engines MUST be tuned... I swear if you even change the oil they would prefer a new tune but you changed way too many things without a tune, you were asking for trouble and you got it.

Like others here... I have no idea who your mechanics are but I would suggest you stop pulling up outside the primary school playground and asking the kids to come over and diagnose your car or the local police will start to think you're there for other reasons.

Following for hopefully carnage pictures. My guess is theres a hole burned through a piston if its enough pressure to pop the dipstick up and spew oil. Thats gotta be a pretty significant amount of crankcase pressure, THAT SHOULDN'T BE THERE!

#ynansb

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Following for hopefully carnage pictures. My guess is theres a hole burned through a piston if its enough pressure to pop the dipstick up and spew oil. Thats gotta be a pretty significant amount of crankcase pressure, THAT SHOULDN'T BE THERE!

#ynansb

Word, this ain't no PCV problem.

The turbo doesn't explain the dipstick popping out like you said. If you unscrew the oil fill cap while the car is running does it dance around and pulse pretty significantly? If so that would definitely be indication of a piston/ring problem.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Look up Infamous Performance in Escondido. He has a tuning facility as well as lots of experience diagnosing & fixing issues like yours. Also he is a vendor on this site.

At this point, you have 3 options:

1. keep driving it and hoping the problem goes away

2. goto the local drag strip or open road way and wind it up thru the gears a few times

3. find a new shop and get it fixed (see the shop above).

If you get white smoke, you're looking at a rebuild as at least the HG is gone. If you are blowing the dipstick out, you have issues. Either way, "when I rev it goes away" is akin to "turning up the radio".

I'm not losing any compression though

It's difficult to ignore the fact that you haven't posted any compression figures. I have to admit I'm overwhelming curious about the breakdown in the chain of truth that led to this statement, but rest assured that whoever told you that was presenting "alternative facts".

Popping dipstick can be the crankcase ventilation gone plugged/clogged too. The PCV valve is a common part involved in strange effects. And overpressure in crankcase means that seals are pushed out everywhere causing oil leaks in hard to reach places.

But a cracked piston ring can also give bad results, sometimes with only minor compression loss.

453747.png

Look up Infamous Performance in Escondido. He has a tuning facility as well as lots of experience diagnosing & fixing issues like yours. Also he is a vendor on this site.

At this point, you have 3 options:

1. keep driving it and hoping the problem goes away

2. goto the local drag strip or open road way and wind it up thru the gears a few times

3. find a new shop and get it fixed (see the shop above).

If you get white smoke, you're looking at a rebuild as at least the HG is gone. If you are blowing the dipstick out, you have issues. Either way, "when I rev it goes away" is akin to "turning up the radio".

But I'll look into the shop but I'm in LA and idk where that is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Infamousperformance.net

Or pm m sprank

Or Google map infamous performance in Escondido.

He does great work and can get you back on the road sans smoke.

Subaru engines MUST be tuned... I swear if you even change the oil they would prefer a new tune

Word, I hard to re-tune after switch over to Amsoil, that's some slippery shit:rolleyes::lol:.

All joking a side, you getting good advice above. Get you car to a good shop. Maybe it's something small like the PVC system. That might cost you a hundred or so for diagnostics & repair. Or it could be something major. That will cost thousands if you to repair or replace you motor.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived