LegacyGT.com

Options for rear headrests? Austrailian Liberty=US Legacy

Last year when I was in Austrailia, I had noticed that the Liberty has different rear headrests than the US spec Legacy ! They reminded me of the headrests I had in my 06' Legacy 2.5 Limited. They are low profile just like the center rear headrest. I can't stand the rear headrests and have removed them.. They look like 2 rabbit ears sticking up obstructing my rear view. Has anyone else noticed what I am mentioning? My point in bringing this up is: How to get the Liberty spec headrests here in the US? Anyone know of a site I could order them from? Or is my best bet to hit up a dealership when I'm down under next month? I've included a link to a review video where you can see the difference in headrests.

I'm no seamstress, but couldn't you just have an upholstery shop modify the existing ones? I'm sure the US spec headrests are larger for safety reasons, but we're not talking modifying the entire interior - it can't be that hard/expensive to modify them.

The Australian version are completely different from the US version, low profile, curving around the rear seat back.

However, I am confident they passed safety tests in Australia, which are similar to our safety testing.

For any headrest to work, they should be raised to match the passenger height. In my WRX I removed the rear and only installed them when I had rear passengers, which wasn't often. I might do the same in the Legacy, for the same reason.

Last year when I was in Austrailia, I had noticed that the Liberty has different rear headrests than the US spec Legacy ! They reminded me of the headrests I had in my 06' Legacy 2.5 Limited. They are low profile just like the center rear headrest. I can't stand the rear headrests and have removed them.. They look like 2 rabbit ears sticking up obstructing my rear view. Has anyone else noticed what I am mentioning? My point in bringing this up is: How to get the Liberty spec headrests here in the US? Anyone know of a site I could order them from? Or is my best bet to hit up a dealership when I'm down under next month? I've included a link to a review video where you can see the difference in headrests.

I just watched the video and there is noway i can keep these headrest after seeing that. Please let us know your findings I would grab a set of those in a heartbeat.

Take my money now!! :icon_twis

Maybe I should start an ebay business in headrests with special freight prices to the US....

Next time I'm at the dealers I'll see what pricing is like. There's obviously a few versions depending on whether you're running cloth/leather and colour for your seats.

OK there's good news and bad news...

First the pics.

Leather option:

31999918810_9579891dac_c.jpg

32257150821_5a9133a6bc_c.jpg

32257152161_f58a97d8c9_c.jpg

Cloth option:

32338105416_76c15cfd06_c.jpg

31534522604_b4e71f8585_c.jpg

And now the bad news is that they cost AUD$200 each ($400 for a pair) without including cost of shipping. Given current exchange rates you're still looking at ~US$300. Apparently cloth and leather are the same price. These will need to be ordered in from Japan as there are no parts showing in the warehouse locally (~2 weeks delivery).

Also it appears that there are only part numbers for the left and right sides and not a separate part# for the middle (it may be supplied as part of the seat assembly). The centre headrest is a slightly different design than both sides which you can see from the pictures.

If there's anyone still interested and prepared to stump up the cash please let me know and I can take some measurements off mine to check that the distance between the supports is the same.

Do you have the part numbers?

I have the part#'s for the black fabric ones:

SU-64261AL110VH - Pillow Assembly Rear

SU-64261AL010VH - Pillow Assembly Rear

The guy at the spare parts said that the other colours/fabrics just change the last 2 part numbers. I think he checked pricing on the beige and leather options also.

The guy at the spare parts said that the other colours/fabrics just change the last 2 part numbers.

Thanks for doing the legwork on this. According to my notes:

VH => Black (always ... cloth or leather)

WM => Ivory (always ... cloth or leather)

Cloth vs. leather must be encoded elsewhere in the part number. This makes sense, since the price will normally be the same for different interior colors, but leather will definitely be a different price than cloth.

In the U.S. there are also subtle differences in appearance (weave, etc.) between the cloth used in the Legacy vs. the Outback.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Why are you guys so obsessed with headrests. Especially for those prices

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

First world problems, it makes car accessories a good business to be in.

Though I like the Australian version much better (hint, Subaru, you can use that to your advantage when you release a new version of the Legacy in the US), I won't bother with changing them.

As mentioned in an earlier post, they are a bit of an obscurity when viewing out of the back window.

I would definitely agree with that. Especially with a baby mirror on the center rest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Is that the AUS Spec cloth interior? Mine looks very different

Yes those pictures were taken at the dealer when I got pricing for the headrests. There is also an ivory (cream/beige) option in both the cloth and leather but dealer tend not to keep these on the floor as they do show the dirt more than the black.

It certainly looks like the cloth trim between Aus/US spec is different. The cloth in the Aus spec has a real texture to it on the seat areas and headrests.

Also not sure if the leather is same either. I guess there's only one way to find out....

Yes those pictures were taken at the dealer when I got pricing for the headrests. There is also an ivory (cream/beige) option in both the cloth and leather but dealer tend not to keep these on the floor as they do show the dirt more than the black.

It certainly looks like the cloth trim between Aus/US spec is different. The cloth in the Aus spec has a real texture to it on the seat areas and headrests.

Also not sure if the leather is same either. I guess there's only one way to find out....

Good point mentioning the difference in texture, I that may be a problem

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived