LegacyGT.com

Talk to me about pulling off the wood trim.

voyetra8

nope ... take a look at your trim and you'll note they aren't the same length due to the console being angled in. pretty sure this wouldn't work. but it does look good. next time i talk to my plater, i'll ask about chroming plastic out of mad curiosity.

Does that mean the gray faux burlwood I posted above wouldn't fit our cars either?:(

Try to find the grey burl, or chrome, or whatever (k2gear has CF and Silver CF, probably not LHD, though.) from Taiwan, or Germany, or some other market that sources their cars from Japan, but are RHD.

I don't mind the silver trim in the black interior cars. The fake wood is the worst, and I have said that repeatedly. Nice to know that clearcoat won't work... Has anyone tried that new plastic-bond spraypaint in clearcoat, or some other color?

Sanded and painted black is probably not too bad. I have often thought about how one would paint those in such a way to make them "Piano Black". The new Maita, and a few other cars are starting to come with high-gloss non-metalic black interior parts that look like the laquer on a grand piano. I have a set of NHT SB-series speakers in my TV room that are hard-laquered like that, as well, and look GREAT.

I want a Legacy with a Black interior, both for preference, and to avoid that wood trim... but I aslo want to do something with those silver trims, as I keep hearing that they wear. I have long legs, and tend to have to rest my knees against the console and arm rest on the door. Granted that is on the Miata, and I remember that the Legacy is MUCH more roomy inside, but I still wonder about that kind of wear. I am aprehensive enough about the silver finish on the stereo/ACC/Shift surround part of the center stack, which is much harder to change.

I wonder if some of the following steps would work to create "Piano Black"... insight is welcomed...

1: remove and sand trim parts.

2: clean and spray adhesive promotor, or use plastic-bonding paint.

3: paint with high-gloss black paint.

4: wet-sand -between further steps, as well...

5: maybe second coat of high-gloss black

6: paint with high-gloss and very hard clear coat in successive thin coats.

7: cure under modest to low heat - to aid outgassing and drying, but not melt the plastic or the paint.

Whaddya think?

• 2 years later...
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I am looking to rid my interior of the awful fake wood. I was wondering if there are any newer options out there for an '05. I am contemplating taking them to an interior shop and having them covered in leather, but would be concerned about fitment after they were wrapped.

Two years later and you still don't want to spray paint the pieces a nice silver/ black / grey colour?:lol:

EDIT- whoooops! Sorry I thought you were Brady reviving this thread! Considering you both use the same red avatar....

Two years later and you still don't want to spray paint the pieces a nice silver/ black / grey colour?:lol:

EDIT- whoooops! Sorry I thought you were Brady reviving this thread! Considering you both use the same red avatar....

No worries. :p I just bought the car and am not a huge fan of the wood. I am perfectly fine with buying the OEM silver pieces, but was just curious if anyone else had come up with a different solution.

Any comments on the leather idea?

I hate the wood too and don't even own that trim level.

I'd try spray painting them in your favorite colour and then clear coating them. If done carefully they could lok great.

I will definitely want them to match something else in the interior though. No comment on wrapping them in matching leather?

I can't see how you could wrap them and still piece them all together? I think it would be a disaster.

Not sure what you mean by this. It would be wrapped just around the edges. They are one piece on either side of the radio correct? Looking at disassembly pics, they are held on with one screw underneath the shift bezel and then clip in just further up????

You think the black will look ok since the nearest colors will be tan and silver?

Oh, you have the light interior... I keep forgetting what they look like. I have the black and silver interior.

If you have silver already, paint the wood another contrasting shade of silver.

If you choos to wrap them in leather, post up pics of your triumph. I just don't think they'll wrap nicely, without ugly creases, and fit back into place properly. Maybe the lether and vinyl I worked with back in the day (speaker boxes) was a lot thicker than it is now...?

Oh, you have the light interior... I keep forgetting what they look like. I have the black and silver interior.

If you have silver already, paint the wood another contrasting shade of silver.

If you choos to wrap them in leather, post up pics of your triumph. I just don't think they'll wrap nicely, without ugly creases, and fit back into place properly. Maybe the lether and vinyl I worked with back in the day (speaker boxes) was a lot thicker than it is now...?

Well, I was going to pay a professional to wrap them. ;) I also thought about the thickness of the leather, so I am not 100% certain I can get it done, but I thought it would look nice next to the tan part of the console. If I dont go that route, I may just buy the silver pieces that came stock on the black interior cars.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've got WOOD (trim) and would be willing to trade for silver. I've been debating for over a year what I want to do to the "wood" trim. I was thinking semi-matte black over everything wood. Just getting those 4 little wood inserts in the doors out is my biggest PITA.

Archived