LegacyGT.com

Talk to me about pulling off the wood trim.

voyetra8

I think the "flat" finish on the wood trim looks a little cheap.

I'd like to pop off the trim, and refinish it with a better stain/varnish.

Any idea if this is easy to do? (The removal part, that is.) I am mainly concerned about the pieces in the door, and on the auto-shifter.

And before anyone mentions it, I think faux-wood adhesive "solutions" look even worse, soooooooo..... ;)

The wood is fake. Varnish will probably eat it worse. possibly look into the trim for the black interior, which is just the matching silver finish. The wood isn't going to look much better.

Guest *Jedimaster*
John M did some painting to those areas with nice results- there's also a real wood overlay available that he lists in his thread.

Im pissed! I ordered that kit and its wonderful except the forgot the strip that goes over the ashtray. Why the hell would they not include that!? Now i have to wait till Monday to call them...

LOL! No offense man but real wood carries AT LEAST a 50k pricetag.

50K?:confused: My A4 had real wood, and it was only $32K.

I think this JDM trim would look nicer than what we have in the USA:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/iyamdman/Taiwan-Subi-Outback-Inside.jpg

Im pissed! I ordered that kit and its wonderful except the forgot the strip that goes over the ashtray. Why the hell would they not include that!? Now i have to wait till Monday to call them...

I thought it looked weird too, but I think that it would cause clearance issues if they put a piece over that panel.

So why not make a thin strip to connect them? Like what goes beneath the clock or better yet make it so its one continuous strip like the radio layover. I have a piece that looks like it might have belonged there but it is WAY to big to fit there.

Oh, and the pieces that are meant to cover the wood panels on the door are too small. I can still see the wood trim around the layover.

Don't bother with the stick-on wood overlays. I had a similar wood kit in my last Legacy.

After 2 years, it looked like crap... the laminate began separating from the wood. In fact, the pieces never fit very well from the beginning.

I'm not interested in covering up my center console with that junk- I just want to cover the existing "wood" pieces with something a little better looking.

Anyone know if there is some sort of kit that would cover just those pieces?

I found a thread where AVOworld mentioned they were adding some options ot their site, but I can't find any interior trim pieces on their site for the life of me....

I couldn't think of any way to make side trim look any better. Oh, and i did try clearcoating it just to see if it helped. It didn't; it clouded up and generally didn't like their plastic finsh at all. So, it got sanded and sprayed black instead.

The stock "wood" is the worst fake wood I've ever seen in a car. Real wood laminate isn't expensive. For the small amount of wood in the car they could have picked some nicer stuff.

Mine's been on for over a year now. Still looks just like it does in that pic. And I may have covered my radio with "that junk" but it looks 100 times better than "80s boombox silver" that automakers think everybody wants for some reason.

nope ... take a look at your trim and you'll note they aren't the same length due to the console being angled in. pretty sure this wouldn't work. but it does look good. next time i talk to my plater, i'll ask about chroming plastic out of mad curiosity.

Archived