LegacyGT.com

2008 specB Nightmare

Ain't that how it goes!

With my block only having 53k miles it didn't make sense to me to spend $1900 on the shortblock especially because I don't have a deadline i need it done by.

Like I said, even with all I've spent Im still in ~$1k less than new shortblock plus all i've done (FMIC, Turbo, Injectors, Heads)

Got my '72 landcruiser and '99 taurus for gettin around.

Yea first start is gonna be quite nerve wrackin:eek:

My block had like 203K when the ringland went and bearings spun :eek: #4 with the cracked ringland held it's self together and did not screw with the walls at all enough to get the block to be bored out to 100 mm.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well USPS has finally gotten back in touch and told me Tuning Alliance did in fact receive the turbo. This was confirmed by TA. Not sure why I'm just finding this out now there was a disconnect between who I was talking to at TA and Mike who is rebuilding it.

What's turn around time on a turbo rebuild typically ?

I sent it out on February 10....

Amazon/rock auto/eBay?

Amazon was pricy and had kits with GMB components which i didn't hear good things about. Rock auto was all sold out

ended up getting genuine Aisin sans water pump on eBay for $199 vs $300+ with water pump.

Looks like i can get a water pump for around $50

• 2 weeks later...

As it comes close to reassembly time i've got to consider my initial (and subsequent) tuning.

Was planning on just getting open source road tune from one of the reputable shops around and using BTSSM to log.

However i'm not sure about my very first tune and how i'd get the car to a shop.

The only thing i can think of is to get openport and tactrix and have Tuning Alliance do an e tune.

Or can i run my old tune or limp mode to get to a shop for the first tune ?

I always advise the tactrix route. You're not giving up much, and you save a ton of money. There's a few extra steps to figure out, but it's not rocket science.

All in I was under 375. TA base start up map, subsequent tuning, and btssm gives me gauges and logging. It was worth figuring out to not spend almost double and have pretty much the same tune.

Spend an evening reading about ecuflash/romraider and proper installation on a laptop. It's really only following instructions.

I always advise the tactrix route. You're not giving up much, and you save a ton of money. There's a few extra steps to figure out, but it's not rocket science.

All in I was under 375. TA base start up map, subsequent tuning, and btssm gives me gauges and logging. It was worth figuring out to not spend almost double and have pretty much the same tune.

Spend an evening reading about ecuflash/romraider and proper installation on a laptop. It's really only following instructions.

My only concern is really that initial start. I'm concerned about running the car and logging from the map it has now. I'll have different turbo, fmic and tgv delete that wrrrnt present before.

Or does TA provide that initial tune for first crank

My only concern is really that initial start. I'm concerned about running the car and logging from the map it has now. I'll have different turbo, fmic and tgv delete that wrrrnt present before.

Or does TA provide that initial tune for first crank

I'm following this thread I have a 05 but I have the same concerns I have the tracrix as well and I need somewhat of a driveable tune to get the car moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm following this thread I have a 05 but I have the same concerns I have the tracrix as well and I need somewhat of a driveable tune to get the car moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea i would rather get a 'pro tune' over going back and forth with a tuner on e-tunes.

But i need to get the car moving, i guess i could have it towed up to the tuner or flash that initial base tune with the tactrix and ecuflash.

yea i would rather get a 'pro tune' over going back and forth with a tuner on e-tunes.

But i need to get the car moving, i guess i could have it towed up to the tuner or flash that initial base tune with the tactrix and ecuflash.

The guy that I plan too hire on my pro tune.

Is going to get me an e-tune that will get me thru ring seating and to his shop. .. Call your tuner I'll bet they will do what they can to get you on their dyno

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Where are you in South Jerz? Have you considered reaching out to Procom racing for some help?

I'm in Cinnaminson bout 10 minutes from Betsy Ross bridge

Haven't heard of Procom but thanks for the input I'll check em out

Repost of my thread in engine rebuild forum...

not sure which gets more traffic but i'd like to get advice asap. Gonna call some other builders tomorrow, my machine guy doesn't really know Subaru too well but his work is tried n true.

Finally getting my block back together. Picked up everything from the machine shop he micd my mains and rod bearings. I reused my crank which checked out a-ok, but my clearances are on the loose side.

I am already planning on running a heavier weight oil and the car will eventually be seeing north of 350 to the wheels so i went with the race bearings. It's my understanding they have a little extra clearance built in.

My mains were kinda all over the place with number one being tightest i think around .016 up to nearly 2 thou.

I'm using STD size, should i get .025 bearings and mix and match to get a tighter clearance or is 2 thou okay?

• 2 weeks later...

Can any opensource guys definitively tell me if the motor needs to be in the car (or atleast harness hooked up) to read and download my current ROM?

I wasn't able to get my Openport to connnect with the ecu i can post the log if anyone is interested in helpin a brother out.

Got a support request into tactrix and I'm gonna try uninstalling everything and separately installing the j2534 driver.

I'd like to know if motor being out would cause me problems with the read first and foremost tho

Archived