LegacyGT.com

2008 specB Nightmare

Ended up getting the gears off using a bolt extractor on a big ol breaker bar. Plenty of long nights and greasy, bloody hands and I've got the pass side head pulled. Didn't have enough patience tonight to pull the drivers side.

Some pics also

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mate, I wish I was closer to help... there was just a sale thread too...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/exhaust-intake-cam-tools-259385.html

If you get really stuck and have no other options maybe we can work out something where I can send you my set, I just need some assurances I will get them back and you cover shipping them that's all.

Thanks for the offer ! Got em off eventually

Took the heads to Headgames in Princeton. Fairly pricy but their shop was full of subaru heads and lots of local shops use HG for their machining.

Pulled #4 piston big ol cracks in the ringlands nothing broke off though. Cylinder walls look mint nice crosshatch but I'll have the block gone over.

Thinking about hone and dropping in pistons if the heads check out and all other clearances are still good. Only 50ish K on the motor.

If the cylinders are warped or ovalling I'll still go stock shortblock route but for cost effectiveness I'm thinking of rebuilding this block now.

If you are planning on forged pistons, you could just use your existing engine and put pistons and head studs in it and be done. (assuming the cylinder walls are still good which they probably are) Then it's still a numbers matching Spec B. Broken ring lands are not necessarily a catastrophic failure.

Pulled #4 piston big ol cracks in the ringlands nothing broke off though. Cylinder walls look mint nice crosshatch but I'll have the block gone over.

Thinking about hone and dropping in pistons if the heads check out and all other clearances are still good. Only 50ish K on the motor.

If the cylinders are warped or ovalling I'll still go stock shortblock route but for cost effectiveness I'm thinking of rebuilding this block now.

:cool:

How does the snout on the transmission look? If it's chewed up you should get yourself the TSK3 repair kit and have that ready for when the time comes.

It was dark when I pulled the motor and haven't been back over to my buddy's since then (where the car is now), but at a quick glance it didn't look chewed up was certainly all intact.

I'll take a better look this week.

• I Donated Too
Would that kit work with the 6mt?

No. I forgot you had a 6MT with a pull clutch in your year. Later 2010 GT's had the push style 6MT again.

But the TSK3 is a push and made for the 5MT which has a common issue with the snout getting FUBAR - how does your snout look on the 6MT?

Got much deeper than I wanted to but atleast now everything will be new.

Dropped case and crank off at Medford Speed in NJ for hopefully just a mic and hone.

Also- Trans snout looked good nothing chewed up and spline is good, wouldn't let me upload the pics of it

IMG_2139.thumb.JPG.67049825a50104481a347eadfa65a7db.JPG

Various other updates:

Headgames advised that my exhaust seats didn't pass vacuum test. Gonna have them go ahead and find out what the cause is and how to proceed.

Purchased and waiting to get Racer-x FMIC from LGT member 'adpsmp' good guy to deal with! Looks pertyy powder coated QSM and the core is powdered black.

Hoping that powdercoated core doesn't affect cooling too much.

Sent out my unknown Dietschworks injectors to Injector-Rehab

Decided to go a new route...

Twin turbo ej255!

Hoping to make like 600 horse to the wheels. I read the manual for the ej20tt so i don't think it should be too hard.

Will i need new engine management? I don't know if cobb has any preloaded maps for a tt set up

IMG_2165.thumb.JPG.772012096d4f00018350f84ed854c601.JPG

Just wanted to poke in here and say I had similar problems with my 09 SpecB. I'm the 3rd owner bought stock from a dealer with 60k on the clock.

Compression test a month later should appx 10-20 psi low all around..... whereas it tested fine before purchase.

Upon further inspection I found that the bilstein struts and exhaust had way more wear and tear than the rest of the car. Along with a missing turbo shield.

This pointed to coilovers, turboback exhaust and maybe a bigger turbo.

Ended up getting the dealer to split the cost for an IAG Stage 1 block and vf52.

My car was off the road for 4 months and they refused to provide a rental car.

^ Similar story here,

Bought my 08 spec B with everything seeming fine and not even 30 minutes later had it blow up a cylinder 4 exhaust valve on me. PO was less than understanding but I liked the car enough to see it through. Mine actually is a fully stock example (besides a Fujitsubo catback) but I guess I just got unlucky.

Good luck with your spec!

Got my injectors back.

Looks like they're DW 850cc.

According to this I can make 400hp at 70% duty cycle !

lol jk and yes Rhitter was just joshing about twin turbo.

Ended up taking my buddy's vf43 instead because wastegate was cracked on the 48.

hmmm with those injectors maybe i should just grab his blouch 18g:rolleyes: but seriously, maybe I will if i end up doing Wossners or Mahles??

IMG_2173.thumb.JPG.b91eb6597730b73c324864746232b748.JPG

Archived