LegacyGT.com

2008 specB Nightmare

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I experienced the failure, the car wouldn't get into boost but otherwise ran fine. I didn't find any metal in the motor but I understand that turbo bearing failure can leave very very fine particles.

Would ringland failure alone cause the car to stay out of boost, or is it probable that my turbo failed as well?

There is no shaft play

If there are small particles what's the best way to clean my shortblock and flush oil lines while it's all apart ?

So I'm looking at new oil pump/cooler, even if there's no visible metal particulate? I know most people here say to replace them but that's another $450ish I'd rather not spend if I don't have to.

The symptoms I had that lead me to believe bad turbo were bogging/falling on its face under load. Turbo seemed to spool fine at idle but I don't know if that means anything

If you know there was metal particulate. I would probably replace it. Mine was just washed really well in a parts washer.

I assume you have looked at your turbo and seen metal glitter somewhere (in your TMIC) in your oil?

Well i never actually saw metal but as i started thinking about my symptoms during failure it made me wonder. Would be pretty chance for turbo and ringland to go at the same time no?

Had an oil analysis done before i pulled the motor and most everything was normal except sodium was high (i ended up wth coolant in my oil)

I have an AOS and there was virtually no blow by or oil in intake or my intercooler.

I'm just paranoid out about oil mechanisms- lots of people on here seems to have metal particulate that is very fine but destroys rebuilt motors if not cleaned properly

IMG_1892.thumb.PNG.3cd3aee6f94c07f9c241d399aff465fe.PNG

My bores checked out did a slight hone and now am waiting for machine shop to check out the crank.

I ended up getting standard size Supertech Forged pistons. For the cost of stock cast pistons, I decided to go with the forged 4032 in case I ever want to run more boost.

I see no reason why the 4032s won't last quite a while at moderate power levels and. a tight P/W clearance.

I sourced the Supertechs from a dealer in NJ for under $400 with rings

Now I have to find a shop that will assemble my block because the machine shop I'm using for the block hone won't assemble. Hoping Precision Tuning will accept the challenge

Otherwise I'm gonna have to assemble myself. I've already disassembled everything myself however reassembly is a completely different undertaking

I don't think I would attempt this myself but that's just me thinking it would blow up after I did something wrong. I did watch the whole video and it was quite entertaining and informative.

I don't think I would attempt this myself but that's just me thinking it would blow up after I did something wrong. I did watch the whole video and it was quite entertaining and informative.

Yeh Ive watched that a couple times very soothing, don't think Id be quite so calm lol.

I've heard of people, my good friend actually, who's been through a couple motors from various builders that lasted less than 2k miles. My dad has done many many VW flat fours but those are a much much simpler application.

If Precision Tuning will build my shortblock I have no problem, but I'm not sure if anyone will take my frankenmotor

Also as a point of interest wanted to compare what i've spent so far vs. new shortblock

Everything so far has run me about $2600 including:

Injector cleaning

Turbo rebuild/purchase

FMIC

Inlet/TB hoses

Head work

Block machining

Forged pistons

Bearings

(plus a whole lot of my own labor)

Subtracting machine work, pistons and bearings and substituting a New short block @1900

it seems as though i would've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $1k more for NSB.

However would've been much faster and would've saved me lots of bloody knuckles

Also as a point of interest wanted to compare what i've spent so far vs. new shortblock

Everything so far has run me about $2600 including:

Injector cleaning

Turbo rebuild/purchase

FMIC

Inlet/TB hoses

Head work

Block machining

Forged pistons

Bearings

(plus a whole lot of my own labor)

Subtracting machine work, pistons and bearings and substituting a New short block @1900

it seems as though i would've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $1k more for NSB.

However would've been much faster and would've saved me lots of bloody knuckles

Think of how much you've learned and can now share with your fellow Subaru brethren!

Think of how much you've learned and can now share with your fellow Subaru brethren!

This is true my friend. I appreciate yours and everyone's support and input- I'd say of all the Subie communities the LGT guys are certainly the cream o the crop.

Beating myself up about all the money i've spent but I'm glad to be apart of this group and I know it'll be worthwhile when i'm boostin all day:p

Not out of the weeds yet but almost there.

Don't let naysayers hold ya back, if you have the time and means to build your car- Do it yourself !

Well it seems the US Postal service has misplaced my turbo en route to Tuning Alliance. Next time i'll just drive the damn thing up to CT.

In the wave of this revelation I'm left with a few options.

Same local guy I bought that VF43 from has a VF48 with a crack in the wastegate

He also has a Blouch 18GXT that was on his car when it spun a bearing.

1. Is the wastegate crack really a non issue?

2. Does spun bearing automatically mean turbo is shot?

IMG_2159.thumb.JPG.311b60a0e63da30246801d747ef6bf4c.JPG

Just get a rebuilt from JmP

Was trying to do it cheap as possible and Tuning Alliance rebuilds for $250, but that seems to be the concensus.

I don't currently have a core to be rebuilt though, i sold my VF40 when i sent out the VF43 to be rebuilt (which is now somewhere unknown)

• I Donated Too
Was trying to do it cheap as possible and Tuning Alliance rebuilds for $250, but that seems to be the concensus.

What JmP does isn't what TA do. You takes your chances... didn't USPS give you a tracking number?

What JmP does isn't what TA do. You takes your chances... didn't USPS give you a tracking number?

Understood, but the VF43 I had was in good condition with no shaft play, just wanted a decent stock rebuild figured TA would be capable enough.

Yea I had tracking and had extra insurance on it, it's been "in transit" over a week now. Have a case open with USPS but i'm pretty confident it's already lost.

I lost so much time on my lgt I was going back and forth on new sb or rebuild after I started buying small stuff next thing I know I had $1500 in internal parts lol. The good thing is I know what's going in. The first start is always going to be the scary part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lost so much time on my lgt I was going back and forth on new sb or rebuild after I started buying small stuff next thing I know I had $1500 in internal parts lol. The good thing is I know what's going in. The first start is always going to be the scary part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ain't that how it goes!

With my block only having 53k miles it didn't make sense to me to spend $1900 on the shortblock especially because I don't have a deadline i need it done by.

Like I said, even with all I've spent Im still in ~$1k less than new shortblock plus all i've done (FMIC, Turbo, Injectors, Heads)

Got my '72 landcruiser and '99 taurus for gettin around.

Yea first start is gonna be quite nerve wrackin:eek:

Crack is not an issue unless it goes all the way across and up the side of the housing. Almost all IHI turbos are running on the road today with at least a small wastegate crack. Subaru, VW/Porsche/Audi, Saab, Volvo, all run IHI-all crack, all run fine.

Archived