LegacyGT.com

Fob will unlock but not lock

I have had my 2006 2.5i wagon for two years. The fob unlocks the doors as usual, but as of a few days ago there doesn't seem to be a response when I press the lock button. I just changed the transmitter battery a few months ago.

I checked and made sure the alarm system was activated using the manual's directions (odometer reads "AL on"). It chirps to say it's armed when you lock the driver door from the inside and close the door, and all doors are then locked as usual.

I don't think it's an actuator issue because the doors will lock electronically. Is it time for a new key fob transmitter?

Thanks!

EJ

My dad's old '05 started having the same issue a few years back. After taking the fob apart it was obvious the button mechanism under the plastic button separated from the circuit board. eBay replacements can be found cheap and reprogramming the fob to work with your car is not hard at all. This is a common issue for the earlier tear-drop style fobs - even one of the eBay replacement fobs I ordered already had the button mechanism broken off the circuit board.

My dad's old '05 started having the same issue a few years back. After taking the fob apart it was obvious the button mechanism under the plastic button separated from the circuit board. eBay replacements can be found cheap and reprogramming the fob to work with your car is not hard at all. This is a common issue for the earlier tear-drop style fobs - even one of the eBay replacement fobs I ordered already had the button mechanism broken off the circuit board.

Having read your post about the early fob's, I'm thinking about my 09 Spec B, those fob's are a nightmare. My 05's will lock or unlock the car from a long distance away. The 09, at times I've had to use the key to unlock it. Next time the fob works from a long distance, other times you have to be within 10 feet of the car.

One time at the dealership the wagon won't lock. I had the parts guy's replace the battery's in both fob's, still didn't work, drove the car home, worked great.

They say that sometimes another Subaru close to yours will cause interference ...?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ah I noticed that with my square fob as well. Have the exact same issues you described. There are times I am 30+ feet away and not in line-of-sight and I can hear the car beep to the button presses.

That's an interesting theory and makes sense - there is a Crosstrek that parks near my car sometimes. Going to test it out.

Alternatively, if it is just the button, it may be quicker to buy a new one from somewhere like Digi-Key or Mouser and swap it out, depending how comfortable you are with a soldering iron. A pushbutton switch like that should be cheap, almost guaranteed to be worth less than the shipping cost. Likely something you could find at a RadioShack (if any still exist near you :lol:).

Archived