LegacyGT.com

fellow midwesterners... Snow tire advice

I had Blizzak WS-60s on my old Legacy and they were phenomenal, as well as quieter than my all seasons (somehow?). I bought a set of used newer model, of which I forget, Blizzaks for my new-to-me '11 LGT. I haven't used them yet, however. You should try checking craigslist and other local ads for good condition used snow tires. They are common and cheap, at least during the summer when nobody wants them.

The only problem with used Blizzaks is that, at least when they started, is that the "amazing" compound is only the top 50%, and wears away quicker (especially on dry pavement) than the other tread. So unless you're getting them with less than 5-7k miles, chances are they're almost to the 50% mark, and you'll soon lose all that good traction. That's what I didn't like about Blizzaks (back when I needed snow tires in Canada) - half the time, we were driving on dry pavement, and Blizzaks absolutely get chewed up on that from what I heard.

Of course, maybe they've improved the wear on dry pavement since then, so take it with a grain of salt. Or not, depending on how your city copes with snow :lol:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only problem with used Blizzaks is that, at least when they started, is that the "amazing" compound is only the top 50%, and wears away quicker (especially on dry pavement) than the other tread. So unless you're getting them with less than 5-7k miles, chances are they're almost to the 50% mark, and you'll soon lose all that good traction. That's what I didn't like about Blizzaks (back when I needed snow tires in Canada) - half the time, we were driving on dry pavement, and Blizzaks absolutely get chewed up on that from what I heard.

Of course, maybe they've improved the wear on dry pavement since then, so take it with a grain of salt. Or not, depending on how your city copes with snow :lol:

I had heard that as well, and was leery of them. However, the first set that I used came on the beater that I bought, and they were used for at least one season before I got the car, and made it through two more winters before I sold it. They still had more than 50% of the tread left, including plenty of the winter compound. Now with that said, I did drive very carefully when they were on my car. I tried to take turns slow enough and not to late brake. I was surprised by how little the tread wore after my 2 years. I understand that not everyone will have the same experience, especially if they are looking for something that they will be driving hard all winter long. I was just looking for some good snow and ice traction for safety reasons, and not performance.

Now, with the way my fiance drives, I could see them wearing out in 2 months :rolleyes:

My Toyos were $1000. We will see how they wear over time, this is my second winter on them and they look brand new still. I only drove them for about 3,500mi last winter though, if that. They work awesome and I'm happy with them. Great traction in powder, on packed snow and on ice and the dry performance is still there due to a stiffer sidewall than other tires.

Looking on Tirerack.com. right now. Set of 4 General Altimax Arctic 225/55/17 (+5 side wall over stock), for $409 for the set. Cheapest set in that size other than Firestone Winterforce. Nothing cheaper in 225/50/17 size and way less selection. Considering going with these. We get a fair amount of snow here regularly, but our roads also seem to get cleared somewhat quickly, so I will likely do a fair amount of non-snow wet and dry pavement driving during the season. They would be going on my stock rims.

Does this seem like a good buy/good choice for what I need?

In my area, not terribly bad. But the spare is quite a bit smaller than the stock size tire/wheel already isn't it?

And my reasoning for going 55 instead of 50 is also because of the available options: 12 tire choices listed for 225/55/17, only 4 choices for 225/50/17. Cheapest tire option for 225/55/17 is $94/tire, cheapest option for 225/50/17 is $160/tire.

Also, the speedo error the bigger tire will cause is -3.31%, which is almost exactly the same as the aftermarket summer setup I want to run, 245/40/19, which is an error of -3.21%, which should bring me closer to GPS accurate speed. I guess that's not really a relevant point, just pleased my brain haha.

The circumference of the tire on the donut is close the OEM circumference of the tires that came with your car. It's a bit smaller, which makes sense because your tires will slowly wear down over time.

Here's the LGT wheel/tire, and the spare tire size according to TireRack (I made up the width and offset, but it looks close enough).

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=45&diameter=18&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=55&width2=135&aspect2=70&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=4&offset2=20#isPage=1

In either case, if you're willing to just call a flatbed for a flattire, then don't worry about it.

In my area, not terribly bad. But the spare is quite a bit smaller than the stock size tire/wheel already isn't it?

And my reasoning for going 55 instead of 50 is also because of the available options: 12 tire choices listed for 225/55/17, only 4 choices for 225/50/17. Cheapest tire option for 225/55/17 is $94/tire, cheapest option for 225/50/17 is $160/tire.

Also, the speedo error the bigger tire will cause is -3.31%, which is almost exactly the same as the aftermarket summer setup I want to run, 245/40/19, which is an error of -3.21%, which should bring me closer to GPS accurate speed. I guess that's not really a relevant point, just pleased my brain haha.

I've been running 215/55R17 altimax arctics for 1.5 have winter seasons (which is like 9 months in MN). "10" narrower width (215 relative to 225) brings the circumference difference down to 1.2%.

I've been running 215/55R17 altimax arctics for 1.5 have winter seasons (which is like 9 months in MN). "10" narrower width (215 relative to 225) brings the circumference difference down to 1.2%.

That is a spectacular suggestion. Just did the willtheyfit measurements and 225/50/17 to 215/55/17 is only a circumference difference of 11.5 mm. That is easily manageable taking the spare into account, and that size Altimax is even less! $389 for the set. Thank you so much! I think you just solved my dilemma.

Edit: Goddamn it, that size Altimax is out of stock on tirerack.

That is a spectacular suggestion. Just did the willtheyfit measurements and 225/50/17 to 215/55/17 is only a circumference difference of 11.5 mm. That is easily manageable taking the spare into account, and that size Altimax is even less! $389 for the set. Thank you so much! I think you just solved my dilemma.

Edit: Goddamn it, that size Altimax is out of stock on tirerack.

Try tirebuyer (also, you can usually get sweet cashback if using eBates.com).

Looking on Tirerack.com. right now. Set of 4 General Altimax Arctic 225/55/17 (+5 side wall over stock), for $409 for the set. Cheapest set in that size other than Firestone Winterforce. Nothing cheaper in 225/50/17 size and way less selection. Considering going with these. We get a fair amount of snow here regularly, but our roads also seem to get cleared somewhat quickly, so I will likely do a fair amount of non-snow wet and dry pavement driving during the season. They would be going on my stock rims.

Does this seem like a good buy/good choice for what I need?

I'm not getting the option? I wonder if it is bc of zip code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not getting the option? I wonder if it is bc of zip code.

Here's the general link for the General Altimax Arctic. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+Arctic

Looking at the Sizes tab, it doesn't look like they make these any bigger than 17", so they don't have anything that would fit your stock wheels since you have a GT.

Here's the general link for the General Altimax Arctic. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+Arctic

Looking at the Sizes tab, it doesn't look like they make these any bigger than 17", so they don't have anything that would fit your stock wheels since you have a GT.

Well I have a line on a set of wheels with the 5x100 bolt pattern off a wrx. They are 17s. I think they are just not available right now. Thanks for the help. I will keep looking. Hard to find.

I have only driven my 2010 LGT in the snow once, this year I will have no other option.

Anyone with dedicated winter tires care to weigh in on what you choose to run? I built a package on tire rack, but I am open to advice, options, or any other help.

thanks

You guys in the midwest get cold, where I live we get SNOW. On average we get more than thirteen feet of snow a season, I live in the snowiest city in the continental US. I took my road test in the snow.

With an AWD car newer all season radials are fine, that is what I am running now. After they get a season or two on them I will get a set of Blizzaks.

I grew up here and have been driving in the snow since I was 16. I put snows on every rear wheel drive car I ever owned but in my experience all seasons are fine as long as you take your time if you have AWD. Ice doesn't care if you have snows or not, ice is ice.

Just my two cents.

You guys in the midwest get cold, where I live we get SNOW. On average we get more than thirteen feet of snow a season, I live in the snowiest city in the continental US. I took my road test in the snow.

With an AWD car newer all season radials are fine, that is what I am running now. After they get a season or two on them I will get a set of Blizzaks.

I grew up here and have been driving in the snow since I was 16. I put snows on every rear wheel drive car I ever owned but in my experience all seasons are fine as long as you take your time if you have AWD. Ice doesn't care if you have snows or not, ice is ice.

Just my two cents.

Where is up here? And yes, single digits and negative wind chills right now

Just my two cents.

Within 50 or so miles inland from Lake Michigan, we get SNOW too. Our first snowfall this year was almost a foot. We have had some majorly huge snows in my area. Not all the time mind you, but it's not unheard of.

Ice doesn't care if you have snows or not, ice is ice.

Just my two cents.

This is demonstrably incorrect. Google is your friend in finding tests on ice between no-season and winter tires. There's plenty of them. Here's one I picked out from my search results.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2wTg0l3_wI]Winter Snow Tires vs All-Season Tires vs Summer Tires testing on Ice - YouTube[/ame]

Archived