LegacyGT.com

Weird noise from front suspension

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefully this spring I am waiting for is the fix. My rack was replaced and the noise came back.

I have had some odd issues with bluetooth and speakers with the 7" unit, but nothing lately. Have you updated the headunit software?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just got the updated software and I got the updated fuel gauge recall software done too, so fingers crossed. So good to be able to turn the radio off and not have it come on the next morning when starting I can turn it off and it will never come on the whole day now lol :D

My local "Go too" dealer replaced the spring in the rack. Noise is reduced, most people would probably be ok with this having lived with the original noise. They are ordering me a new rack and they are ordering parts to fix that annoying drivers seat crunch/squeak.

The steering rattle and seat really should be a recall but its not a safety issue at all, just an annoyance. But Subaru should recall just for the reputation damage its causing. To their credit, they do have service bulletins published for both problems so thats good enough I guess. Your dealer should be able to pull them up. Steering rattle is also affecting other models by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

After finding this thread, I mentioned the TSB to my dealer when reporting the rattle I'd been hearing. I was sure it was the same thing.

They said the TSB does not apply to my model (just the 17 models) but they DID IT ANYWAY for me.

Problem solved. LOVE IT. Seems the steering may have even tightened up a tad too.

Anyhow, problem gone and I love having the quiet ride again - even though it was only in the first ten minutes when it was cold.

Thanks LHM Subaru Boise.

Sorry I forgot to search, I just posted a new post about clunking in my wifes 2016 legacy. Drivers front side. Can someone let me know if it's similar to what is posted in this thread?

Sorry I forgot to search, I just posted a new post about clunking in my wifes 2016 legacy. Drivers front side. Can someone let me know if it's similar to what is posted in this thread?

So its seems to be happening to 2016s too. This sucks because this means the problem seems to be caused by a wear item if its showing up at 35k.

Im hoping its something simple as a strut for you, LI roads have been hell this winter as usual :)

My 2015 Legacy 56k miles is making a noise from front left...my mechanic thought it was caliper & replaced the noise came back after a few weeks, the noise starts when I apply brakes, pads are fine, no wobble in car , brakes do feel a little soft sometimes but normal, noise is like an old car bouncing down the street at times but the ride is normal no change in steering etc. Sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I have a 2016 2.5 Premium with just 31K on it. We have had the mystery rattle going over sharp, small bumps. That began about 9 months ago, and I only recently had time to take it in. A local independent shop thought it was the left front suspension strut, but I noticed it only happened going straight ahead, thus suspected the rack. This thread alerted me to the TSB, and the dealer agreed and installed the new tension spring which completely fixed the rattle. BUT, buyer beware, the new tension spring makes the steering stiff on center, so that it feels numb and does not return readily to center from small deflections. Thus you must watch the road like a hawk. Also, if you use the lane departure monitor, it will set up an amplifying oscillation -- drift right and it will correct left AND THEN STICK with a left deflection so the car careens across the lane to the left, then corrects sharply to the right when it crosses the left lane paint, then the RIGHT correction sticks because the wheel doesn't center, and you'd better intervene or you're headed off the road at a sharp angle. I brought it back and the tech asserts this is just a feature of the revised spring, and that it may ease up a bit with wear. I might have preferred the rattle. It's really not an acceptable tradeoff and I may trade out of the car.

UPDATE: After a week or so, the stiffness in the steering resolved and it is now fine. I'm happy with the fix now. Feedback to Subaru: they could have just told me this would happen and that it would improve within a few days. It was quite a dramatic change, but also resolved pretty quickly.

Edited by Climber76
Update, new information

I have a 2016 2.5 Premium with just 31K on it. We have had the mystery rattle going over sharp, small bumps. That began about 9 months ago, and I only recently had time to take it in. A local independent shop thought it was the left front suspension strut, but I noticed it only happened going straight ahead, thus suspected the rack. This thread alerted me to the TSB, and the dealer agreed and installed the new tension spring which completely fixed the rattle. BUT, buyer beware, the new tension spring makes the steering stiff on center, so that it feels numb and does not return readily to center from small deflections. Thus you must watch the road like a hawk. Also, if you use the lane departure monitor, it will set up an amplifying oscillation -- drift right and it will correct left AND THEN STICK with a left deflection so the car careens across the lane to the left, then corrects sharply to the right when it crosses the left lane paint, then the RIGHT correction sticks because the wheel doesn't center, and you'd better intervene or you're headed off the road at a sharp angle. I brought it back and the tech asserts this is just a feature of the revised spring, and that it may ease up a bit with wear. I might have preferred the rattle. It's really not an acceptable tradeoff and I may trade out of the car. This is just poor mechanical design, steering shouldn't be a problem on a modern car.
Anyone have the Part Number handy for the Tension Spring? I think I have the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Anyone have the Part Number handy for the Tension Spring? I think I have the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Service Bulletin #04-17-17R states the Spring Kit P#34130AL010. There was no listing of the part # on my work order; only the reference to the Service Bulletin along with the Lot Number for the Steering Rack - 6420, in case the spring rattle returns.

Spring replacement was done on 2-7-19. So far the rattle has not returned and I've not experienced any steering issues.

I have a 2016 2.5 Premium with just 31K on it. We have had the mystery rattle going over sharp, small bumps. That began about 9 months ago, and I only recently had time to take it in. A local independent shop thought it was the left front suspension strut, but I noticed it only happened going straight ahead, thus suspected the rack. This thread alerted me to the TSB, and the dealer agreed and installed the new tension spring which completely fixed the rattle. BUT, buyer beware, the new tension spring makes the steering stiff on center, so that it feels numb and does not return readily to center from small deflections. Thus you must watch the road like a hawk. Also, if you use the lane departure monitor, it will set up an amplifying oscillation -- drift right and it will correct left AND THEN STICK with a left deflection so the car careens across the lane to the left, then corrects sharply to the right when it crosses the left lane paint, then the RIGHT correction sticks because the wheel doesn't center, and you'd better intervene or you're headed off the road at a sharp angle. I brought it back and the tech asserts this is just a feature of the revised spring, and that it may ease up a bit with wear. I might have preferred the rattle. It's really not an acceptable tradeoff and I may trade out of the car. This is just poor mechanical design, steering shouldn't be a problem on a modern car.

Not my experience. I have a 2018 Legacy 3.6R and the spring fixed my rattle and had no effect on my steering. Sorry about your luck. Maybe it needs an alignment because the techs somehow goofed up your toe-in when taking apart the rack for the spring? No idear. Good luck.

Maybe it needs an alignment because the techs somehow goofed up your toe-in when taking apart the rack for the spring?

No. Replacing that spring does not affect suspension alignment.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

On some steering racks there's an adjustment to ensure that the free play between the steering column gear and the rack cogs is optimal, maybe it was overtensioned. Not sure if this is the case here.
453747.png

No. Replacing that spring does not affect suspension alignment.

I understand the spring doesn't. And I don't know the process of changing it, but if it includes popping inner or outer tie rod ends out of place maybe that part was botched. It seems by your response the spring can be changed without doing that, so go figure.

... if it includes popping inner or outer tie rod ends out of place ...

It does not.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 7 months later...

OK I have a 2019 Subaru Outback Premium and posted on Subaru outback.org the same issue But they have revised the service bullitin to 8/20/19 and I took mine to the dealer a week ago and they just called to say they got a box of springs as this is becoming more common.

Rattling Sound from EPS Gear Box – 2015-2021 Subaru

NHTSA ID Number: 10164192

Manufacturer Communication Number: 04-17-17R

The repair (when applicable) involves installation of a new tension spring for the worm gear to reduce / eliminate the condition. It should be noted the condition is NOT detrimental to the operation of the EPS system.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164192-0001.pdf

17 Affected Products

Vehicles

MAKE MODEL YEAR

SUBARU LEGACY 2015-2019

SUBARU OUTBACK 2015-2019

SUBARU WRX 2015-2021

Just wanted to share - I'm not scheduled until Feb. 7th t0 have it replaced. I will post after.

Thanks for this post. I too am hearing this sound. Sounds like a clunk at cold temperatures when starting the car up in the morning. Seems to go away after the car warms up. I will wait and see how everyone's repair by the dealer holds up. With so many steering replacements this may become a recall or TSB but who knows.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I noticed my '15 making this noise when it has been sitting a day or so without being started or when it is cold. After the car warms up along with the outside temperature it seems to go away.

This is all good info, thank you folks. I think I may have them look at this in my next service appointment. I am experiencing the same sound, thought it was suspension rattle (something loose), and figured the process of installing my springs would make it go away (everything freshly and properly torqued by me)...but it didn't. So I suspect it's either this or the shock bushing someone else spoke of. If I can rule this out then hopefully if it doesn't go away then eventually going to koni yellow inserts will fix it.

I have this same issue on my '16, it's gotten worse this winter and is pretty loud now.

I guess I am SOL since I'm out of warranty?

Take it to your dealer, as this is a known issue and a Tech Notice has been issued. Being out of warranty shouldn't be an issue, so give it a shot.