LegacyGT.com

Weird noise from front suspension

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I took my 19 legacy in for the steering rack noise TSB fix. They replaced the spring and the noise is gone. They said the steering would be a little tighter. That was an understatement. I've only driven it home so far, 15 to 20 miles and mostly highway, but it's lost almost completely lost its "return to center" tendency like all of a sudden the Caster angle is zero (obviously not the case).

I'll see if it loosens up at all but it's not exactly finger steerable on the highway at the moment...might take some getting used to. It does seem a little more solid in bumps now, so that's a plus.

... I've only driven it home so far, 15 to 20 miles and mostly highway, but it's lost almost completely lost its "return to center" tendency like all of a sudden the Caster angle is zero (obviously not the case).

I'll see if it loosens up at all but it's not exactly finger steerable on the highway at the moment...might take some getting used to.

In addition to replacement of the tension spring, the TSB now requires adjusting the "gear box backlash" (i.e. rack preload). It sounds like the preload in your rack is now set too tight. If it doesn't loosen up soon, it's back to the dealer for readjustment. Lack of self centering can be dangerous.

N.B. The requirement for preload adjustment isn't unique to Subaru. It's common to pretty much all rack-and-pinon steering mechanisms from all manufacturers ... manual or power assisted. I've done it on 1980s GM cars, for example.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 11 months later...
I have experienced the same issue with rattling in the front drivers side, which seems to get worse in the winter. I believe the cause of the noise is the front stabilizer link assembly, because it has to connect two pieces of metal in the suspension and the assembly holds grease within a rubber gasket. If the rubber gasket fails or separates in cold temperatures, you will hear the noise of two components rubbing against each other without sufficient lubrication. See TSB #05-80-20 for a potential fix. I had my car recently repaired (January 2021) and when I have a chance to test drive over a course of a few weeks, I will provide an update to see if this technical service bulletin addressed the problem.

In addition to replacement of the tension spring, the TSB now requires adjusting the "gear box backlash" (i.e. rack preload). It sounds like the preload in your rack is now set too tight. If it doesn't loosen up soon, it's back to the dealer for readjustment. Lack of self centering can be dangerous.

N.B. The requirement for preload adjustment isn't unique to Subaru. It's common to pretty much all rack-and-pinon steering mechanisms from all manufacturers ... manual or power assisted. I've done it on 1980s GM cars, for example.

Also, I took it back in for this and they fixed the backlash a few days after this suggestion. Much better, forgot to thank you.

I have experienced the same issue with rattling in the front drivers side, which seems to get worse in the winter. I believe the cause of the noise is the front stabilizer link assembly, because it has to connect two pieces of metal in the suspension and the assembly holds grease within a rubber gasket. If the rubber gasket fails or separates in cold temperatures, you will hear the noise of two components rubbing against each other without sufficient lubrication. See TSB #05-80-20 for a potential fix. I had my car recently repaired (January 2021) and when I have a chance to test drive over a course of a few weeks, I will provide an update to see if this technical service bulletin addressed the problem.

For those that got this done, and the steering rack, is that something that is covered under the powertrain warranty?

For those that got this done, and the steering rack, is that something that is covered under the powertrain warranty?

My steering rack was replaced back in march2020 due to the rattle noise,and noise went away and just started making the same noise again since this past January.

DougKelly20, unfortunately, as others have indicated and I can attest to, the steering rack and backlash adjustment and/or tension spring replacement is not a solution. Give it a few months and you will once again hear the noise. I strongly encourage everyone to try out TSB #05-80-20 for a potential fix. My dealer supposedly only replaced the right side, even though the noise sounded like it was coming from the left. I do not know if this addressed the issue but once COVID infection rates are down and l start driving more, I will report back.

• 1 month later...
The steering rack replacement is not a solution to the front end noise many Subaru Legacy owners are experiencing. I have had my steering rack replaced twice and the noise returns after a few months. Many of you are mentioning that the sound gets worse in the winter or cold months. This is true and I experienced the same. No response from Subaru, which unfortunately means this issue will likely not be addressed. This is the last Subaru I purchase. Edited by ehansen14051
Updated with new information