LegacyGT.com

Oil leaking behind intake manifold

I have a 2007 legacy gt. I noticed oil leaking just behind the intake manifold. Was wondering if this was a common thing and if anyone could answer what would most likely be leaking.

I also keep trying to upload a picture but it keeps failing. So if anyone can help me with that also. Thanks.

I guess you have a different charge pipe there.

There shouldn't be oil that high up from that really black spot next to the turbo cooling tank.

Is some thing spraying oil up there ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yea, that bolt on the turbo outlet flange looks wet as well as the turbo now that I look more.

The PCV is right below that area but I think that look dry in the first picture above

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

That is a really bad case of blow-by + a tear somewhere in the inlet tube. When my inlet ripped I too noticed a fine film on the IM and the around the TB coupler (I actually had a torn inlet tune and a loose TB hose) the oil was atomizing and covering the adjacent areas.

Oil also breaks down the soft rubber part of the inlet that clamps around the cold side of the turbo add to that boost pressure, and the inlet will walk off the turbo. Check in between the ruffle/inlet boot for a rip.

Also check you PCV blow-by on these cars is a given but that is a lot not sure what turbo that is the other source for oil could be the CHRA. Once you find the leak or even while trying to find it I would clean up the area and check if after each drive to see where the oil is coming from.

@Max Capacity Where is the PCV located exactly. I have one ready to be installed. The tmic kit that I bought came with gaskets and it didn't really seem to seal that bolt area too well.

@Gee-otto Where would blow-by be coming from? I bought a new inlet so I will find out this weekend if my current one is torn.

What is a CHRA?

This is off topic but I recently installed a radiator because of my factory one failing. I ended up getting a mishimoto. It looks great only thing I noticed power seemed to drop off and the car is not as snappy as it was before installing it.

I am hoping it is a coincidence that the power feels different after the install and it is the turbo inlet that caused the power loss.

PCV is located a little in front of the turbo inlet and towards the center of the engine about an inch. There are picture of it around here. look in your post 2 see in the center of that picture, down in there is where it is.

Blow-by coming from compression getting by the rings on the pistons and adding pressure to the crank case.

power drop off could be because the intake is leaking.

Oh the CHRA is the center section of the turbo.

I was able to install the turbo inlet and it took way longer than it should have due to the chilly weather. After taking off the factory inlet I inspected and noticed that there were no tears on it anywhere. My power did come back some I also installed a Perrin intake at the same time so not sure which one helped more.

still was not able to figure out where the leak was coming from exactly. I wiped off anywhere that I saw oil and grease to see if I can locate the problem. So far I have not seen any new residue any place after a few hundred miles.

I also installed a Perrin intake at the same time so not sure which one helped more.

still was not able to figure out where the leak was coming from exactly. I wiped off anywhere that I saw oil and grease to see if I can locate the problem. So far I have not seen any new residue any place after a few hundred miles.

I'm just going to ask to be safe, you got your MAF scaling adjusted for that intake right? :)

Also, it's possible there was just a small tear that only opened under boost. That happened to my TB hose. But either way, hopefully the issue is resolved!

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Archived