LegacyGT.com

Some Lunatic Did This Today!

Definitely sucks, and I know what you are going through. I was in a hit and run on 29 October. They left their car at the scene, and took off on foot.

Check with your insurance company to see if there is a lower deductible other than the $500. After some fellow forum members informed me of a potential lower deductible rate for hit and runs, and a co-worker of mine I called GEICO and they are working to classify mine as a hit and run with a lower rate and refund me the difference.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely sucks, and I know what you are going through. I was in a hit and run on 29 October. They left their car at the scene, and took off on foot.

I'd just like to know how this person thought this would be a good idea in any way since they left a really large piece of evidence behind. All they did was delay talking to the police for a little while, and added a whole new topic of conversation once the police caught up with them.

Talked to body shop today and they are confirming it is..... not totaled woot woot!!! They did mention extensive damage though so will be 3 weeks to a month before I get her back. Still haven't found the mother f....., but a traffic cam directly in front of the incident picks up an older red F150 that matches exact description from witness but no license plate ughhh!!! Every day I drive to work in my canary yellow Camaro and see a red truck, I triple take every time.

So, now I'm contemplating a dash cam that will also turn on when vehicle is off when sensing movement. Would love thoughts and opinions for a good HD dash cam for not too expensive. Found this so far that doesn't look all that bad?

Rexing V1 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X528FNE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wyilybWPR2HH3

That is the exact one that I run. I love it. I also picked up the optional GPS module. The GPS module is not built into the main unit. It's a separate unit the size of your key fob, and connects to the dashcam via a cable. The camera was a lot smaller than I expected

I have the 2 camera BlackVue DR650GW-2ch but haven't installed it yet. I plan to do the wiring up for both cars and just swap it back and forth depending on which car I drive. These guys usually have a Christmas sale. I only paid about 75% of the price listed.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/blackvue/products/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch-ir

I have the 2 camera BlackVue DR650GW-2ch but haven't installed it yet. I plan to do the wiring up for both cars and just swap it back and forth depending on which car I drive. These guys usually have a Christmas sale. I only paid about 75% of the price listed.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/blackvue/products/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch-ir

I have been eyeing that camera for a while now but can't with the prices I have seen. Definitely bookmarking and checking daily. If they run a sale up to 75% off, I'd jump on it in a second.

The problem with cheap cameras is typically the resolution, frame rate and picture quality, especially in low light.

True in the general sense, but these cameras are well reviewed, and I own one, it works very well in all lights. For what a dash cam would be doing it would serve the purpose.

With dashcams that are two channel (one front and one rear) most (if not all) of them that I've seen reviews of have terrible quality rear cameras. If you want to capture someone rear ending you and get clear video on their face / plate, you are probably better off getting a second camera rather than dealing with a poor quality second channel.

I feel your pain. My 2010 LGT got rear ended Oct 15 while in a bumper to bumper traffic jam. The guy was driving a ford work van, and fortunately was insured. I got out of the car thinking it was a light tap and might show no damage. Instead, he managed to do more than $4000 damage at less than 2 mph.

I just got it back Friday. The only good part is that a lady in a parking lot dinged the bumper 5 years ago, and the repaint never matched. This time, I researched a better body shop, and at least the colors match now.

On the insurance front, when my wife's Outback XT got dinged in the Albuquerque airport parking lot, I only had to pay a $250 deductible. If the guy who hit me was uninsured it would have cost me $500. So good luck with that.

I have the REXing one from amazon. Had it for roughly a year now. It's been running since even when the car is off. I think it's a decent dashcam. At night though, you can't really see the license plate.

DSC_2277.thumb.JPG.eceb17f2b3a1cb742a1995d0da9f7c34.JPG

DSC_2278.thumb.JPG.0eff24c404f90eaff30e2b3ceb6935b7.JPG

Just got the appraisal today and surprisingly not as bad as I thought. Only $3800!! I did mention to the shop I'd like to see pics throughout the process so interested to see it deconstructed then put back together. Keep the dash cam options coming or maybe we can create a thread. The one aftermarket mod my wife actually knows about and agrees with lmao!!!!

That seems really really low, and must be from a terrible body shop that's going to cut all sorts of corners. Go get a second opinion from a respected shop.

I agree... It cost over $1k to replace a front fender, wheel liner, door, turn signal, minor frame work, and respray it all and blend the hood on my old pickup. Even with a friend discount, me doing some of the work, and buying the fender and door from a junk yard, which was a separate expense. Plus it won't hurt to have options. I assumed around $4500 to fix your's but it's been years since I've been in or around a body shop. Knock on wood....

That seems really really low, and must be from a terrible body shop that's going to cut all sorts of corners. Go get a second opinion from a respected shop.

In Mass, the insurance company sets the appraisal price. Most garages will do the work for that price. Make sure you have a good shop that will fight for anything that comes up on your behalf. If you need a good shop, I know of one in Hudson, NH pretty much right on the Mass border.

Just got the appraisal today and surprisingly not as bad as I thought. Only $3800!! I did mention to the shop I'd like to see pics throughout the process so interested to see it deconstructed then put back together. Keep the dash cam options coming or maybe we can create a thread. The one aftermarket mod my wife actually knows about and agrees with lmao!!!!

Is the $3800 appraisal from the insurance appraiser or the body shop?

Archived