LegacyGT.com

Best replacement axles for low cars?

Good morning all,

While changing the 5EAT's fluid on my newer to me 05 LGT i noticed 3 of 4 of my CV's have inner ripped boots :mad: Shes sitting on Tein Basis coilovers and i love the look and it rides amazingly well for being a coil setup (Best ive ever been in tbh.)

Ive had my share of experiences with the crap auto parts store re-manufactured junk axles. I dont have any big power plans for the car. Roughly 300awhp on a VF52 , Perrin TMIC, ect supporting mods. Id like something that will last more than 2k miles like the auto parts store ones.

Any recommendations?

OEM is best. As you know, people have had varying luck with aftermarket ones but they are very hit or miss. some have had to get 3+ different aftermarket replacements before they got one that didint cause vibration.

So unless you get your aftermarket on with a lifetime replacement warranty, stick to subaru OEM for axles.

OEM is best. As you know, people have had varying luck with aftermarket ones but they are very hit or miss. some have had to get 3+ different aftermarket replacements before they got one that didint cause vibration.

So unless you get your aftermarket on with a lifetime replacement warranty, stick to subaru OEM for axles.

:whore:

Concur.

I could suck start a snow blower.

I was told the OEM reman axles from the dealership are the same as GT axles but when you tell them you have GT, Subaru will only sell you a new axle. Seems they only sell/rebuild axles for 2.5i's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've used Raxles almost exclusively on my WRX and LGT. I'm happy to recommend them and so far, the quality has been on par with OE, maybe even better.

I think the axle boots are thicker, but that might just be the difference between new axles and axles with 90k on them.

So what is the cost of the OEM reman's from Subaru ? I know they won't sell you remans' if you have a GT.

But I'm told the front axles on the 4th Gen 2.5i's and GT's are the same, automatic or 5mt.

Here's a 2006 2.5i

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/auto-parts/2006/subaru/legacy/2-5i-trim/2-5l-h4-gas-engine/front-drive-axle-cat/axle-shafts-and-joints-scat

Yep, same part number, here's a 2006 GT,

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/auto-parts/2006/subaru/legacy/gt-trim/2-5l-h4-gas-engine/front-drive-axle-cat/axle-shafts-and-joints-scat

Some dealers stock OEM reman axles. Don't tell them you have a GT, if you do they may not sell you a reman.

Just need to find the price of the reman's now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I paid $190 shipped including core charge for the remanufactured OEM front axle I recently pit in my daughters 2003 Forester X. When I returned the old one, I got $40 back, so overall I paid $150

That sounds like a pretty good deal if you think about all the problems with after market axles for these cars.

I'll have to tell my trusted mechanic he's replaced the left front in my wagon twice on his dime.

Ive had a TERRIBLE Experience with R Axle when i owned my 03 Golf GTI. Probably will never ever buy from them again, And the person who i traded that GTI to for this 05 LGT had more problems with Raxle. Thats just my personal experience. Im leaning towards the OEM route. I shot Marty an email just to see the cost.

**UPDATE**

189.95 per side for the front's and they dont have any rears. Hmmmmmm.

Ive heard good things about the Cardone axles actually. Rockauto (who im not the biggest fan of, BUT) has the upgraded Thermoplastic style boot version for $72 each for the fronts.

I don't know, I've had good luck with the Cardone axles on multiple cars. Even did 140+mph in my old swapped Legacy (GPS verifed :lol:) and I beat on that in rallycross.

My current OBXT has had one on the front driver's side for the past 3 months without issue.

Archived