LegacyGT.com

Kalien32's 05 White Wagon...

Kalien32

excellent !!! custom parts , the way to be unique!

i like this thread !

Sorry I hacked up your carbon! Don't be mad. :p

I have the other one, just in case I screwed this up completely. But so far it's coming out better than I had hoped.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love what you've done with the car. Exceedingly tasteful mods and very cohesive style.

We'll thank you, sir!

I try to limit the things I do, to keep a solid theme to the car. And I try to keep things OEM. This carbon trim piece is really pushing my OEM+ theme.. but I figured keeping the chrome ring and oem style chrome stars will help it look OEMish...

I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far. And I think the finished product will have a nice blend of OEM and custom, without being too flashy.

kuSMM0y.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sat down and fiddled with it some more.. got one side of the carbon bar all matched up with the chrome..

Only took me a couple hours of very slow sanding... but I'm extremely happy with how smooth the transition is. Hope I can get the other side to work, too..

It was getting very close at this point.

xgiPcPl.jpg

Finally happy with it!!

ZwALUSo.jpg

• 5 months later...

Been real busy with life. Slacking on the finishing the rear of the car. But I was able to finish the rear trim.

Sealed it all up, and got it to a point that I'm happy with. Waiting for some new splashgaurds before I bring the garnish to get painted.

i6XG944.png

D034Fkb.png

qSANKq2.jpg

3AUXkHy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Changing focus...

Been sitting on these parts for a while now.

I've always loved the JDM facelift interior... especially the round cupholder and shift boot. Got the center console, dash, and door cards from Lithuania. Needed to source EDM console because the JDM is right hand drive. And Lithuania is one of the few Euro countries that are Left hand drive.

8k6BV5I.jpg

xPEtoXa.jpg

Many of you already know this. But for those of you who don't, facelift JDM interiors have an option that came with Spec-b, Tuned By STI, and the S402. This option was illuminated cupholder rings.

YTI5hCv.jpg

Well.... I was extremely disappointed when I got my interior and my assumption that they all had this ring was proven to be incorrect. Instead, mine had a solid black mock ring, in its place... =(

So I took the console apart to investigate...

1aMW3MX.jpg

5kn5Nnp.jpg

Not to be outdone by subaru, and their tricky ways, I took measurements and made my own lenses ..

My girlfriends company does custom panels... She used one of their machines to cut me some acrylic rings.

vnXOMIf.jpg

TpF0rPS.jpg

rNWTDwo.jpg

Vg2WlUc.jpg

Next was to get ahold of the LED lights.

I was able to find the Illumination kit on JapanParts website. But I seem to have bought the last set. Because they are sold out everywhere now... lucky me!!

Lights clip right into the cupholder, and shine into the stem coming off the ring.

IBZX2Jg.jpg

Both lights get wired into a single line...

fqD0yEK.jpg

That line then runs under the dash to where you find this plug...

h1WTzeK.jpg

You can either splice right into the wires behind the plug, make your own plug, or get this cool extention that has splices already wired in.

pmeTI86.jpg

gJb17bE.jpg

PfOxFl5.jpg

great to see some update !

you did a very nice job on the rear garnish .i congratulate you !

nice to see you have a edm center console , it make the interior stand up so much .

i didn t know you can buy a illumination kit for it . what the kit include ?

my console didn t have illumination , i bought the jdm cup parts section that came from a tuned sti , the clear ring are the same . it came with the blue led and one part of the wiring . it look from my understanding one led is plug with the ashtray and the other led with the heater seat . i plugged both with the heater seat .

thanks for the wiring pics , also make more clear ring i m sure people will need some . you can buy the led , i bought the red one to replace the blue .

also i see you have already the plug from the heater seat so it s plug and play ! the usdm one will plug in but the wiring are not at the same place .

great to see some update !

you did a very nice job on the rear garnish .i congratulate you !

nice to see you have a edm center console , it make the interior stand up so much .

i didn t know you can buy a illumination kit for it . what the kit include ?

my console didn t have illumination , i bought the jdm cup parts section that came from a tuned sti , the clear ring are the same . it came with the blue led and one part of the wiring . it look from my understanding one led is plug with the ashtray and the other led with the heater seat . i plugged both with the heater seat .

thanks for the wiring pics , also make more clear ring i m sure people will need some . you can buy the led , i bought the red one to replace the blue .

also i see you have already the plug from the heater seat so it s plug and play ! the usdm one will plug in but the wiring are not at the same place .

Hey thanks! I'm glad you like the rear garnish. And thanks for the front badge. I'll be doing the same thing to that one, aswell. I'll update.

I bought the Illumination kit on JapanParts. But they have since sold out. So not sure if you can get them anymore. The kit comes with...

- Blue LED lights.

- Y-harness from both lights, to one plug.

- Extention wire to run under the dash

- and the fancy harness with the splices. It's plugs into the dash, and the extention wire.

My console didn't have the plugs for the LEDs on the header plug and cig lighter... but I know Arnold's did have those plugs... so none of this wiring is needed for people who have that.

I want the red LED. They would work better with the red back lighting of the controls.

I can definitely make more rings, if other people need them. I made a set for Gunnar.

Did the interior install this past week... found a few things that make it a bit more difficult swapping into usdm cars. But for the most part, went pretty smooth.

The seat heaters plugged right in. Both work perfect. No rewiring needed.

I'll post some more updates that make note of complications I ran into. Could help save someone some headaches later.

VwLhrUB.jpg

qxow6uK.jpg

i think it will be a good idea to start a thread for the EDM interior .

i m sure more people would like this conversion , i m sure we can make it more easy to source parts , what is really needed and other trick .

i think it will be a good idea to start a thread for the EDM interior .

i m sure more people would like this conversion , i m sure we can make it more easy to source parts , what is really needed and other trick .

I agree. That's a good idea.

I'll get all the part numbers, and make a list of the bare minimum parts needed.

Along with taking more detailed pictures of the issues I ran into, and how I resolved the problems.

Love this wagon. The interior is mere icing on the cake for this fantastic build. Very impressive in person. My stock exterior SWP wagon looks very much a Camry.

33756700006_3e23905e87_b.jpg

Thanks man!!! Was a pleasure meeting up, and swapping seats. I'm glad that white wagon went to a good home. I'm sure it's happy to be with its blue brother. ;)

• 2 months later...

Now that I got the rear badge done. I need to maintain the theme, on the front of the car..

Madrig was nice enough to make me a blank blue carbon front badge, for me to cut up..

yu7P1nG.jpg

Took apart the stock emblem..

QJ2djnm.jpg

Cleared the background.

dQ64y9u.jpg

Trimmed the carbon, so it would fit inside the stock frame.

BYaPmhO.jpg

Now we match!!

FDoSE9w.jpg

Roommate got stationed in Connecticut. So we took advantage of his last weekend here and did some driving... he drives the silver 05 STI. (Wingless)

Magnuson even showed up for one of the drives...

Hurricane Ridge. Olympic Mountains, WA state.

vWCkxyf.jpg

Deep in the Northern Cascade Mountain Range. WA State.

BQ2PXwK.png

ewt7Y0H.jpg

t15Puil.jpg

Leaving a local car meet, with Magnuson.

IdOPe7G.jpg

You have the best subaru emblem!

what will be blue carbon next !! ??

Couldn't have done it without you!!

I believe gunnar already talked to you about making a certain part in blue carbon... ;)

You've been working on it for a while now. Gunnar is getting one in black carbon. And I wanted one made in blue carbon, so I can paint it, but leave the edge exposed carbon..

Anything you make, you know I'll buy. Your work is top notch.

Archived