LegacyGT.com

Ultimate Race Wagon build

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at a racing alternator. Smaller size with a targeted rpm more in line with the race motor's speed. On track, the street car was in 4-6k range most of the time. On the street, it was more of 2500-3500. Vast difference in average rpm range. Having an alternator matched to the average rpm range should gve better performance and lower parasitic drag on motor. Assuming race car will have same working range. One maker of custom alternators gives a how-to choose guide - http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/which_alternator_a.html

The stock car guys mount the alternator on the rear diff, and a pulley on the input flange to drive it. It only turns when the car is rolling, and since race cars don't spend a lot of time idling, the small amount of total loss is negligible.

The stock car guys mount the alternator on the rear diff, and a pulley on the input flange to drive it. It only turns when the car is rolling, and since race cars don't spend a lot of time idling, the small amount of total loss is negligible.

I'd like to do that. Would allow better routing for the fmic, too

A couple of notes for you:

The Silver Eagle already has an underdrive crank pulley.

I'm 90% sure it has the old style water pump, and it's a new one, not the original. I replaced it after the first engine blew up. Unless it's contaminated badly it's should be good to re-use.

I want to be on the Lucky Dog Team when you race it!

Be sure to use Loctite on the DS pump pulley, the little tiny Allen head screws that hold it still on the shaft. Retro Racing just had theirs get loose on the shaft and threw the DS belt off. It may not have those screws, I may have used a Fenner Bushing when I went to a larger pulley, but be sure that's tight when you rebuild.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 5 months later...
How good are you at drawing? :)

Need accurate measure of holes on section that attaches to wagon and same for those that attach to the suspension bits?

Basically a 3d drawing of the whole thing. I can send that to msi and see they can modify a sti subframe s mount points to fit the lgt mount points.

Or 3d scan it?

Well I didn't take any fancy new-age 3D scan or anything, but I did finally confirm that the mounting holes for a STi subframe (2015) will not fit.

Measurements from centre to centre of mounting holes

Legacy, STi

Rear width - 36 1/2", 33 5/8".

Front width - 38 1/8", 41 3/4"

Front to rear mount - 18 1/4", 23"

Corner to corner - 41 5/8", 44"

Archived