LegacyGT.com

Question: 5th Gen + ATS Brembos

Could it be the shimmy issue?

I've read pretty much the entire thread on the shimmy issue and I don't think my troubles line up with it, as any shaking/vibration I've had since owning the car does not come on only at highway speeds, and is primarily braking-related. I think I've got a series of small suspension/brake/steering related issues that add up to being an annoyance.

I will say that maybe it is placebo, but I paid special attention to the way it felt on the way in to work today and I do have some mild shaking in the car that comes and goes at different speeds. I'm still attributing this to a known out-of-round tire, but I am surely hopeful that replacing the inner tie rods will resolve it.

I also worry that maybe I'm just being too picky sometimes. My other car is an s2000 that feels so tight always. But then that car is lowered, stiff, and loud. People hate to ride in it. So as I replace bushings, add lockdown kits, replace parts, etc. I am (I guess) trying to bridge the gap slightly between the two extremes.

All of this aside, as relates to the original thread, I will probably pick up some Ichiba V2 spacers within a few weeks regardless of the impact of the inner tie rod swap. Then, at some point in the future I will be able to upgrade brakes without worry, and the car will look much better for it in the meantime.

The only two things I can think of that were not covered are rack bushings and the steering rag joint. But I think these would give you a looseness or feeling of lack of control when steering. Either way keep us posted. I went through this on my Speed6 and found I had stuck guide pins due to poor lubrication.

The only two things I can think of that were not covered are rack bushings and the steering rag joint. But I think these would give you a looseness or feeling of lack of control when steering. Either way keep us posted. I went through this on my Speed6 and found I had stuck guide pins due to poor lubrication.

In the spirit of enabling, I will definitely be adding a Perrin Steering lockdown at some point in the future. I've got this problem where I justify upgrading the car via the aftermarket rather than taking things apart to get to the root of the problem lol. And I pretty much don't take my cars anywhere other than to do jobs I am incapable of doing. Alignments, tire balancing, state inspections, etc. But I've got a pretty good track record so far I think. My s2000 has just under 200k miles without any major problems which I give equal credit to Honda for the craftsmanship and myself for doing just a ton of upkeep.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just a quick follow up to this. I've done the inner tie rods, which were a terrible pain based on how tight the access is and how insanely tight one of them was, requiring a breaker bar and a pipe. The old inner tie rods were in need of replacing; the boots were fine, but the joints were quite loose. Shaking problem is better, but not fully resolved.

So I picked up these Brembo's from NASIOC. Just gotta get some rotors, pads, brake lines, and a KNS v2 adapter for the rears. They look a bit rough but apparently function perfectly. Was a pretty good deal too yessssss.

1018161635.thumb.jpg.a1bfb820940f45232e6517baf69f482c.jpg

1018161634.thumb.jpg.f1c2cfe4839badeae9cdbc4d6d075aad.jpg

Archived