LegacyGT.com

$10k track toy ideas?

I'm starting to think pretty seriously about buying a car for track days... Not a dedicated race/track car, as I'd still drive it to and from the track 3-4 hours each way).

Not a convertible. RWD. Good aftermarket for power and handling upgrades - eventually this car should be quicker than my LGT (375whp) but not for the initial $10k.

Suggestions?

WS6 is on the short list. Maybe an E46 but maintenance worries me. Maybe a Mustang.

I like WS6, I owned 2 trans ams one of the being an ls1 car and while they can handle well and have many mods available it will always fell like a bigger, heavy car. Unless of course you do some serious work, strip that bitch down, change out the rack etc. But they are fun, reliable power plants. You could spend 1500 in mods and make 400whp+. Good bang for buck cars.

BMWs never really scared me maintenance wise. They are for the most part well built cars. Some parts are pricey but if you do the work yourself most of them aren't that bad.

Pretty much any mustang you can get for 10k will be similar to the trans am but with a weaker, less mod friend powerplant.

Can you get an E46 around 10K now? I've been thinking about picking one up for the same purpose, or maybe waiting a bit longer and doing the same with an E92, but BMW reliability has always worried me too, I've never owned one. I have friends who have had them and they don't seem that bad really, but I know the maintenance would exponentiate when used hard on the racetrack.

I agree with the above about the mustang. I'm a mustang guy at heart, but for track use I feel only the newest generations of mustangs are up to the task and they will not be had for 10K.

What about something Japanese that could support an LS swap? Seems like that's always a viable option.

Are C5's down in that budget range? At least then you're not dealing with a swap and can get away with basic bolt on stuff.

Biggest problem with 'Vettes as 'budget' track toys is the cost of consumables. Parts and tires (in 'Vette sizes) are expensive. 'Bolt on' mods are expensive as well.

Check out http://www.racingjunk.com/ and see if you can pick up something ready to run...

OP is asking for a car that will ultimately be quicker than his 375whp lgt. I'm sure there are a couple things that wouldn't be terrible, but anything rwd that's that quick will be pretty pricey as far as consumables are concerned, unless you keep the weight under 2800-3000lbs.

I've been thinking very seriously about buying a C5, but that's not something I would want to track a whole lot as it would be to expensive to replace. And just too nice. This $10k car that I'm pondering would eventually get gutted and caged, whereas I'd want to keep a C5 as a nice DD.

And no Miatas. Partly because convertible (it's rainy here, and this'll be parked outside, and I don't want to deal with water leaks, and I'll never drive with the top down anyway), partly because it would need lots of work to give it real power.

Which brings me to no motor swaps. I did lots of work on my LGT and now it's a special snowflake that I'm afraid to lose in a track accident. (So I'll probably just get t-boned by a drunk instead... :) ) I want something that won't be so hard / expensive / time-consuming to replace, and I want it simple and reliable. I wanted to track my LGT at least once this year, instead it's in my garage with more work in progress. It is getting more fun, also but scarier to track.

Thanks for the racingjunk link, I hadn't see that site before. Now I'm drooling over a C5 motor / drivetrain / suspension with zero bodywork attached. For ten grand. Damn you.

For $10k, IMHO, you're hunting unicorns...

Is your goal just a fast HPDE car, or do you eventually want to compete W2W or TT?

You can probably get into an older Mustang/Camaro/FB, or maybe a 350Z and get it prepped to be reliable for HPDE for that money, but it's not going to be a great platform without spending $$.

Any track car is going to be a LOT of work, especially if you're going to get serious about it.

I know you said no Miatas, but there's a reason track people say the "Answer is always Miata".

A track candidate NB with VVT motor (2001-2005) can be had for well under 5K these days, add suspension, wheels/tires, race fiberglass top, refresh the stock brakes and update maintenance, remove some weight and you can be ready to go for well under your budget. 140whp at ~2200 lbs can be pretty fast on track with good tires and a good driver. Down the road with some careful shopping you could add engine management and turbo for <$5k and have ~250whp, which is similar power/weight as your LGT, in a much better chassis.

I'm already well down the Miata road in building a dedicated track car, but if I were starting from scratch today, I would buy an RX8 with a blown motor and do an LFX (Camaro V6 - 320hp) swap. $10k would push the budget, but I think it could be done with careful shopping on forums for used parts. And it would be fast on track....

The alternative is to buy a turnkey car, but I don't think you're going to find 300+hp for $10k in a nicely prepped car.

HPDE / lapping only. I'm in a ChumpCar / Lucky Dog team already and while it is REALLY fun, I'm looking for something different here - no trailer, street legal, mild mods, not competitive, just drive it.

Mustangs and Camaros are the most likely things. I need to look into 350Zs though, that's something I had not thought of, and don't know much about... Just the sort of answer I was hoping for. :)

Got myself a C5Z this year. I am very happy with it so far, on the track and on the street. If you could pick up a C5 FRC or coupe for 10k or less (not sure how much C5's go for in the states), it's a great platform. Plenty of aftermarket parts and GM parts for reasonable prices. All the issues and quirks have been already figured out. Long tube headers, intake, cam, and some heads work will yield some good reliable power.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-corvettes-for-sale/3873054-1999-red-frc.html

C5 is the performance bargain of the decade. There's a thread on the corvette forum about what to buy/do to get a c5 track ready. From what I learnt, I would start off with minimum of pads, lines, fluid, oil cooler, and seat. Stock seats are the worst. These parts can be had for very reasonable prices.

• 3 weeks later...
R32, but its awd. Can never go wrong with the American classics.... Mustang/Camaro. You said no to Miata's but they are pretty much lots of awesome, so I gotta throw that out there. What about classic Japanese muscle Supra/RX7/RX8! Rotary engines are pretty beastly! Pontiac GTO, were pretty cheap and obnoxiously overpowered out the box, but are cheap to get......i think!!

I've been dreaming about F5's 33 Ford ever since it came out. Wife approved, but that's a few years away at best. And probably $40k all in. Not a track car, too much money and waaaaay too much time invested. Beautiful though.

GTO is a great idea though.

Archived