LegacyGT.com

Transmission Options to Replace 6MT

So I blew my tranny in my 2010 LGT. Looking for options for replacements that will be as strong or stronger than the 6MT that came in the GT's. I've seen mention of the 2.5i 6MT being the same with just a shorter 5th and 6th gear, but nothing that seemed very convincing, proof, or first-hand experience/confirmation. These are much more affordable and easier to come buy with low miles. Also, does anyone know if the transmission for the diesel EE20 the same as the 6MT on the GT's (http://www.boxeer.com/ee20_parts)?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I blew my tranny in my 2010 LGT. Looking for options for replacements that will be as strong or stronger than the 6MT that came in the GT's. I've seen mention of the 2.5i 6MT being the same with just a shorter 5th and 6th gear, but nothing that seemed very convincing, proof, or first-hand experience/confirmation.

The ratio for 5th and 6th gears are different per the factory service manual. The 2.5i 6MT transmission obviously isn't stronger, but if you look at the list price for the 6MT assembly, it is the same list price down the penny (currently $6409.86). I am guessing their aren't very many difference between them.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2748989

Do we know if the transmission mounts on the 2015 WRX are the same as the 5th gen Legacys?

No they are not the same, they are just like all other subarus except the 5th gen. The 2015+ wrx transimission is probably an evolution or an exact copy of ours without the tapped mounts for the 5th gen mounts. Right now the only viable drop in solution is a replacement.

Unless you get to work on a conversion kit for the STI 6spd...;)

Have any aftermarket gearsets popped up for the WRX box yet? That's probably a viable option as well.

I believe not specifically, but there may be a chance the old 5 speed set will fit, the problem, as Acumenhokie (sp) found, was the case distortion hence the blast plates. So a stronger gear set alone will just break something else like the a big stress crack in the side of transmission from flexing.

I think the fix will be some type of bell housing mount for the sti 6speed to bolt into the 5th gen.

I think the fix will be some type of bell housing mount for the sti 6speed to bolt into the 5th gen.

And then you also have to figure out the axle spline different between the STi axles and our axles on the front diff.

And then you also have to figure out the axle spline different between the STi axles and our axles on the front diff.

The BM 6MT axles aren't the same as the BL 5MT ones? The WRX 5MT front axles plugged n played with my STi 6MT trans...

I have heard of one shop that put a TY856 into a BR9. Of course some welding and machining work had to be done on the bellhousing to create pads to place the 'engine' mounts that install there. A plate also had to be made to mate a GRB shifter mech to the body as the aperture for the cable-shifter mech is not common to other Subarus, at least not late-model ones. Aside from that it was pretty straight forward as I know it. 5EAT drive shaft worked, the front axles fitted etc.

The car was converted from 5EAT and the shop involved never could figure out how to get over the CANbus issues and out of limp mode.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Swapping the drive cups from an sti set would probably do it, at either the inner or outer cv joint. Or full sti swap...win win win!

At any rate the cv axles is small potatoes compared to the transmission mounts. ;)

I've never had a tranny fail on me so I don't know how it works but, if it fails. Can't it just be rebuilt instead of getting a new one? I thought that the gears were the same from the WRX 15'? Or is that not how it works?

^^^Yep and the mounts are small potatoes compared to the canbus issues. I am not saying I won't attempt it someday, but it wont be easy.

What would be the CANBUS issue with our cars and an STI tranny? I am sure the newer variant has gear dependent boost just like we have and a display with gear selection in it. So getting two subaru systems to talk hasn't been an insurmountable issue. Fahr Side's example was going form an auto to 6mt. I think we will have an easier trail to blaze...maybe...:spin:

I've never had a tranny fail on me so I don't know how it works but, if it fails. Can't it just be rebuilt instead of getting a new one? I thought that the gears were the same from the WRX 15'? Or is that not how it works?

Yes you can have it rebuilt or replace it with a rebuilt one. Which leaves you with the knowledge that the transmission will fail again at some point. Which doesn't make sense financially.;)

That gear position indicator in the gauge cluster calculated the gear you're in based on wheel speed and engine speed, so if the ratios are much different, that may not be happy. Not sure if that has any bearing on anything else, though.

That gear position indicator in the gauge cluster calculated the gear you're in based on wheel speed and engine speed, so if the ratios are much different, that may not be happy. Not sure if that has any bearing on anything else, though.

Anywhere there are calculations there are tables, and they can be adjusted so IMO this isn't some massive hurdle. Some of our tuners here probably even know how to get at these tables.

What would be the CANBUS issue with our cars and an STI tranny? I am sure the newer variant has gear dependent boost just like we have and a display with gear selection in it. So getting two subaru systems to talk hasn't been an insurmountable issue. Fahr Side's example was going form an auto to 6mt. I think we will have an easier trail to blaze...maybe...:spin:

Besides just getting them to talk I think the biggest hurdle would be the SI drive. That is a whole can of worms in itself. Easier than a auto to manual swap, but still tricky. I am sure one of us will eventually do it.

Besides just getting them to talk I think the biggest hurdle would be the SI drive. That is a whole can of worms in itself. Easier than a auto to manual swap, but still tricky. I am sure one of us will eventually do it.

How do the other STi transmission swaps control the DCCD? Is the DCCD control normally integrated into the STi ECM?

Anywhere there are calculations there are tables, and they can be adjusted so IMO this isn't some massive hurdle. Some of our tuners here probably even know how to get at these tables.

This assume the person who disassembled (reverse engineered) the code in the ECM has identified or bother defining them. I got the impression from reading on ROMraider that our ECM were not 100% defined.

How do the other STi transmission swaps control the DCCD? Is the DCCD control normally integrated into the STi ECM?

This assume the person who disassembled (reverse engineered) the code in the ECM has identified or bother defining them. I got the impression from reading on ROMraider that our ECM were not 100% defined.

Up to this point there has been no need to define the tables. Where there is a will...

We don't need SI drive though, and that is more dependent on the engine than transmission in our cars. The dccd can use an aftermarket stand alone controller also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Up to this point there has been no need to define the tables. Where there is a will...

When there is a production total of only ~1700 units, their needs to be a motivated person with the knowledge or resources to accomplish it.

Archived