LegacyGT.com

Another 3.6r vs 2.5i Struggle

StrangeTamer

So I am looking at purchasing a 2015+ Legacy and am having a hard time deciding what to get. The enthusiast inside me wanted a WRX originally but after test driving one and seeing the trunk space the rational side of me took over and now wants a legacy which I think finally look good enough for me to purchase. I was going to test drive a 3.6r but it was bought the next day and there are none in like a 200 mile radius that are under $30,000 as I am looking for a very slighty used (<30,000 miles) car. I have yet to test drive a 2.5 because Ive been holding out for a 3.6 but do you guys think a 2.5 will be plenty for me. I currently drive a 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro which is nice but still not enough get-up for me and Im trying to avoid repair costs and have always wanted a subi. So do I wait longer in hopes of decently priced 3.6r or just go with a 2.5 and enjoy the savings?

Hey man, I was in a similar position last year... I almost got a WRX but it was too much for me and too sporty... I wanted something that looked great and had the space and power...so I wanted to test-drive a 3.6R but it got sold a few days before I went... then finally a local dealer got one in so I rushed there to drive it first, then drove the 2.5i right afterwards. There is no comparison, the 2.5i is much weaker (175hp vs 256hp in the 3.6). I had way more fun driving the 3.6r and ended up buying it brand new at another deal where I scored a great deal, fully loaded for just under $34k including taxes etc.

I think you'll enjoy the 3.6R more coming from an Audi A6... you can test drive a used 3.6 if there are any available... I know some folks are likely going to sell them in the near future as they want the newer models or just a different car. You will love the 3.6r. The 2.5i is just okay, but the 3.6r is fun :) In my opinion, I think it even looks a tad sportier lol...plus love the dual chrome exhaust.

Quite a bit of difference between the 2.5i and the 3.6R. You might be better off ordering the 3.6r car and waiting 2 months with no extras to try to get below the 30k mark. The 3.6R are rare as is. Who cares if you show up to meet in a 2.5i, you ain't gonna drag race any of them. Looks and comfort are more important imo and the ability to go from 0-60 on the highway. WRX/EVO and Legacy are two different cars. How much do you care if the car is AWD. If you can deal without it I say go with a used Chevy SS. You get the size of the legacy, more power than the wrx, stick shift, but will be RWD.

With my friends having evos and wrxs I just cant bring myself to show up to a meet up with a 2.5i.

Buy a car for yourself not your friends opinions at car meets. The 3.6R is not exactly fast either when compared to EVO's and WRX.

I would test drive the 2.5i and 3.6R. At least IMO, I don't buy too many new cars so when I do buy them, I would rather spend the extra money to get what I want even if it means being patient and waiting a little more time. If you like the 3.6R, be patient and look around for a used one or save up for a new one.

I traded in my 2015 WRX for a 2016 Legacy 2.5i. Yea, I know that's going backwards, but saving money was the name of the game for the time being. The 2.5i is slow. Like really slow, but I got the limited with all the bells and whistles. I mean everything. Coming from a base WRX, this thing was luxury. I looked at the 3.6, but wasn't sold on the car considering a cvt transmission and the fuel economy is meh. 0-60 times are meh too. So I just bit the bullet and leased the 2.5i. Couldn't be happier. If you want a sporty car and a suby then stick with a WRX/Sti.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
If you want a subi and your about speed its the WRX/STI hands down 305 hp from the box you can still mod it If you want more speed. if you need more space in the car look into a Legacy GT 265 hp. I have a legacy 2.5 Limited. I don't race anymore so I don't need speed. I am going for looks so I will drop it upgrade the rims throw aftermarket fog kit, mod the Grill throw some graphics maybe. I love driving this car. The fastest I took it was 135 mph I was just testing the suspension and handling in case one day i needed it :) but it was too smooth almost scary I thought i was going under 100 mph. why the 2.5 for me I save a lot on gas.http://legacygt.com/forums/images/smilies/spin.gif

728069305_subarunewrims1.thumb.jpg.58a90b20d6442e960c60c3495f27363f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I currently drive a 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro which is nice but still not enough get-up for me and Im trying to avoid repair costs and have always wanted a subi. So do I wait longer in hopes of decently priced 3.6r or just go with a 2.5 and enjoy the savings?

The 3.6r is the way to go if you want the get-up. The 2.5i is great for savings but I found it needed more gas when going up hills or if you have a carload of people.

The 3.6r is the way to go if you want the get-up. The 2.5i is great for savings but I found it needed more gas when going up hills or if you have a carload of people.

For sure it needs more gas. I just went on a 2500 mile trip with 1 passenger and a fully loaded back seat and trunk. It takes a lot of pedal to get up and go, but she does it well enough. I jumped on my 2.5i purchase pretty quickly due to my circumstances. Given I had more time to do research, and a bit more cash I would have loved to get a 3.6r.

For sure it needs more gas. I just went on a 2500 mile trip with 1 passenger and a fully loaded back seat and trunk. It takes a lot of pedal to get up and go, but she does it well enough. I jumped on my 2.5i purchase pretty quickly due to my circumstances. Given I had more time to do research, and a bit more cash I would have loved to get a 3.6r.

Same with me, if I had the extra cash, wouldve pulled the trigger on the 3.6

either way both are great cars, love the mpg on the 2.5i tho

• 2 weeks later...
I was just in this position. I had a 2011 Legacy with 72,000 miles on it that I used as trade to my new car. I ended up settling with the 2017 Legacy Sport, you get basically a fully loaded 2.5i and save money on gas. I also like the 2 toned interior that you can't get with the 3.6. But they are both very good cars, I just liked saving money on gas.

• 11 months later...
Visited the dealer today to test drive a 3.6r. Salesman was pushing the 2.5i over the 3.6r, especially since there weren't any 3.6r's on the lot; said they'd need to be special ordered. Also, he was of the opinion that the 2.5i was more than enough and spending more for 3.6r was unnecessary for lower MPG. No love for the 3.6r even from the salesman! I felt the 2.5i could use more punch on the uphills. Hoping to test drive a 3.6R soon.

Visited the dealer today to test drive a 3.6r. Salesman was pushing the 2.5i over the 3.6r, especially since there weren't any 3.6r's on the lot; said they'd need to be special ordered. Also, he was of the opinion that the 2.5i was more than enough and spending more for 3.6r was unnecessary for lower MPG. No love for the 3.6r even from the salesman! I felt the 2.5i could use more punch on the uphills. Hoping to test drive a 3.6R soon.

Surprising since Salesmen get paid on commission. I would expect them to push for the more expensive car.

The power of the 2.5i is plenty sufficient to get around. The only case where you would need a 3.6 might be for towing, or hauling a lot of heavy sh!t in the trunk, in which case, your suspension will probably also be a concern.

Its really just need vs wants which is influenced by money.

Surprising since Salesmen get paid on commission. I would expect them to push for the more expensive car.

The power of the 2.5i is plenty sufficient to get around. The only case where you would need a 3.6 might be for towing, or hauling a lot of heavy sh!t in the trunk, in which case, your suspension will probably also be a concern.

Nope!

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

They sell more 2.5is than 3.6rs, plus they always want to sell you the car they have on the lot before you can escape!

Yeah, I can't recall ever seeing a Legacy 3.6r.

Maybe one or two Outback 3.6r but not Legacy 3.6r.

2.5i's everywhere....

Yup, I tend to agree (but have yet to drive a 3.6r).

I am leaning towards the 3.6r though!

• 6 months later...
I had the 2.5i sport. I was able to get 300-320 miles per tank. I traded in for a 3.6r. I only get 240-260 miles per tank. This is mostly city driving though.

What year 3.6? I'm getting over 400 miles on my tank, sometimes over 450. I have a 2017 3.6.

Archived