LegacyGT.com

Another 3.6r vs 2.5i Struggle

StrangeTamer

Visited the dealer today to test drive a 3.6r. Salesman was pushing the 2.5i over the 3.6r, especially since there weren't any 3.6r's on the lot; said they'd need to be special ordered. Also, he was of the opinion that the 2.5i was more than enough and spending more for 3.6r was unnecessary for lower MPG. No love for the 3.6r even from the salesman! I felt the 2.5i could use more punch on the uphills. Hoping to test drive a 3.6R soon.

"especially since there weren't any 3.6r's on the lot"

He would have sold you on the Chevy Celebrity if that's all they had on the lot.

The power of the 2.5i is plenty sufficient to get around. The only case where you would need a 3.6 might be for towing, or hauling a lot of heavy sh!t in the trunk, in which case, your suspension will probably also be a concern.

Its really just need vs wants which is influenced by money.

I've had two 2.5i Outbacks, a 3.6 Tribeca, an '05 Legacy GT and a 2017 Legacy 3.6. I feel you are way off here. In traffic I had to beat the hell out of the 2.5i's to get up and go and run confidently in traffic. I would get a solid 25mpg from the 2.5is no matter how I drove them.

The 3.6 is a more grown up car. Getting into traffic is easy, it doesn't require much pedal at all. I'm actually getting just under 27mpg lifetime (better than in the 2.5is for me) because it is so effortless to drive in traffic and I don't have to drive it as hard.

The lowend torque and responsiveness is a HUGE difference from the 2.5i. It's also quieter and much smoother. The extra bit of price is more than worth it in my opinion and I'm actually getting better gas mileage in the 3.6.

I’ve driven the 2010 2.5i for 8 years and I loved the car, but as it aged it feel hard getting up to speed on highway and it felt slow, now keep in mind the older Legacy was the first gen of the 5th gen, I’m sure they improved the car as they went on. This time around I went with the 3.6R, and I gotta say I’m impressed, how smooth the car is, and the HP is on point.

It’s a bummer they went away from the 5EAT, but I don’t mind the HCVT.

It’s smooth, there is barely any engine noise when trying to speed up on the highway, and with 4 people in the car the car doesn’t struggle.

I haven’t used the paddle shifters at all, don’t see a point of it, but it’s a cool feature, just for me It’s just an additional thing to drive the price up.

I’ve driven the 2010 2.5i for 8 years and I loved the car, but as it aged it feel hard getting up to speed on highway and it felt slow, now keep in mind the older Legacy was the first gen of the 5th gen, I’m sure they improved the car as they went on. This time around I went with the 3.6R, and I gotta say I’m impressed, how smooth the car is, and the HP is on point.

It’s a bummer they went away from the 5EAT, but I don’t mind the HCVT.

It’s smooth, there is barely any engine noise when trying to speed up on the highway, and with 4 people in the car the car doesn’t struggle.

I haven’t used the paddle shifters at all, don’t see a point of it, but it’s a cool feature, just for me It’s just an additional thing to drive the price up.

This is what I like to hear. Mine should be here in a week or so! I'm a ninny driver that keeps my foot out of it mostly. Nice 20 minute Interstate drive to work with few stops. I'm looking forward to my mileage tests running around south Idaho.

I disagree with whomever said you don't need a 3.6R. You may not NEED one, but passing when you want to pass, covering mountain passes without major downshifting, and highway cruising - it's so nice to have a lower rpm, higher torque, adequately powered vehicle to respond in a timely manner. I've put 307K on my EJ25 and while I still love that car and have driven it daily since buying it new in 01, I can't wait to road trip in the 3.6R. No more running-start passes or fourth gear hill climbs!

That said, I rode in a friends 2.5 Outback with four grown people in the car around town and I was honestly impressed at how well it left the stoplights. Nothing incredible, but darn good for a four banger. I was surprised.

• 1 month later...

Keep looking for a 3.6

I picked up mine this morning from the dealer after only ever test driving a 2.5

Night and day difference as stated above.

I found a 17 new non current for 30k in Canada.

Car had 44kms on it and came with a full tank of fuel.

Car is a 3.6r limited with the technology package.

I laugh when people say the 3.6 is thirsty. I put about 2000 miles on it on long trips over the course of last week. At 85mph for 300 miles straight with no wind the onboard computer said I was getting 28.5mpg. I verified that on a fillup and it was about 1.5mpg optimistic. 27mpg going 85mph doesn't seem bad.

On the next fillup a few days later I dropped to maintaining 80mph and the onboard computer showed 30mpg exactly, also 1.5mpg optimistic. That's damn good mileage for that car that it is. I got close to 550 miles on every tank on the trip.

What year 3.6? I'm getting over 400 miles on my tank, sometimes over 450. I have a 2017 3.6.

2017. i mostly do city driving in LA so i don’t get a lot of mileage per fill up. i’m ecstatic when i go over 300 miles :lol:

Exactly. Ditto your results. At 55-60 on twisty mountain roads, gentle throttle, I was getting almost 32. 28 Over 70. In town dips to around what my old EJ25 would get - 24/25. Image I attached is actual mileage - not computer mileage. Only a couple thousand on the car, but so far so good - exactly as I was expecting.

This app is called Fuelly BTW. Free.

I laugh when people say the 3.6 is thirsty. I put about 2000 miles on it on long trips over the course of last week. At 85mph for 300 miles straight with no wind the onboard computer said I was getting 28.5mpg. I verified that on a fillup and it was about 1.5mpg optimistic. 27mpg going 85mph doesn't seem bad.

On the next fillup a few days later I dropped to maintaining 80mph and the onboard computer showed 30mpg exactly, also 1.5mpg optimistic. That's damn good mileage for that car that it is. I got close to 550 miles on every tank on the trip.

IMG_8158.thumb.jpg.f21fa1a270fe19e10a144b17f53d9412.jpg

We just did a day trip to UF to visit Florida History Museum. The country roads has curves, rolling hills, stop signs and a few lights and not the best quality pavement. Speed running from posted speeds from 35mph to 65 mph, 225 miles round trip 30.5 MPG average. The Legacy H6 is just amazing. The best I get from my V6 Jeep Liberty is 19.6 MPG if I never had to stop the vehicle.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Archived