LegacyGT.com

Converting Factory Fuel Economy Gauge to Boost Gauge?...

I searched around for a while looking to see if anyone has converted or changed their nice factory installed worthless fuel economy gauge with a boost gauge? I was dreaming about this the other day. It would be nice to have a fun gauge to look at instead of the depressing one you see when you put your foot on the skinny pedal.

About 1 hour install time and I had never messed with an airbag before, and supposedly it's a little trickier with the 2012+ clip design versus the previous 2 bolt design. I didn't have any problems with it and it's been the best mod evar!!!

Back on topic.....

The old school 'fuel economy' gauges were vacuum gauges, but that doesn't help you. The ECM is doing some calculations to create the fuel economy values. If you switch to trip A and B and the average is noticeably different, it the median value will shift if you change the trip odometer.

I was thinking about doing an ETune with my laptop. Would it be better if I used an AP? If so I think I found a place to mount it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know your level of expertise in tuning, but the AP is pretty straightforward. Download maps from cobbtuning.com to AP then install AP in car. OR get AP and get a dynotune/e-tune. It just depends on how mnuch $$ you have budgeted for this.

I was thinking about doing an ETune with my laptop. Would it be better if I used an AP? If so I think I found a place to mount it!

It appears that not very many people on this forum had their 5th Gen LGT's tuned via a laptop (more specifically, tactrix cable & ECUFlash) but I have and believe it or not, it wasn't voodoo. Neither tuner has had any problems (since the 2010 LGT definition was updated).

The really differences, in my opinion isn't reliability; instead they are time v. cost and the additional features of the AP.

Tactrix - $170 (or $50 if you go with sketch knock-offs from Aliexpress) and a few hours setting up the software.

AP - $650 and probably less time to setup than the Tactrix, etc. plus cool display of present values

Or just relabel it "no boost" at the top and "boost" at the bottom...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ROFL! That might be the best option yet!

It appears that not very many people on this forum had their 5th Gen LGT's tuned via a laptop (more specifically, tactrix cable & ECUFlash) but I have and believe it or not, it wasn't voodoo. Neither tuner has had any problems (since the 2010 LGT definition was updated).

The really differences, in my opinion isn't reliability; instead they are time v. cost and the additional features of the AP.

Tactrix - $170 (or $50 if you go with sketch knock-offs from Aliexpress) and a few hours setting up the software.

AP - $650 and probably less time to setup than the Tactrix, etc. plus cool display of present values

Do you know if your tuner had to add any tables or had issues with DAM reseting? Before McDowell disappeared on us I was talking to him about an OS tune, since he did his car thay way at first, and he mentioned those 2 issues when he did his but I think it was before the final DEF revision.

Archived