LegacyGT.com

07 Explorer

It's actually 2800lbs but yea still pretty good. The 7 lug axles etc bump GVWR to 8300lbs and the truck is around 5500lbs as they have limited options in the max payload XLT. I don't have leather, power seats, nav, touch screen, dual climate etc. I have a crew cab, 4wd, a 6.5ft bed and basic options like power windows etc. It's a somewhat bare bones truck... not a full on work truck stripped down interior but def not top end.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Which could be totally doable with the aluminium trucks coming in at under 5,000lbs... even with the added axle weight etc the max payload package would add.

If they kept all the same components and just switched to aluminum, I think the payload would have gone up by like 700# on just about every truck. I don't think that's what the numbers did though. Seems like the switched to aluminum and then undersized some of the other components in response to the reduced weight, I'm sure to partially offset the cost difference for the aluminum.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 3 weeks later...

That's pretty cool!

Most people have no idea what their actual tongue weight is...

I use a weight distributing hitch, so it wouldn't work for me, though. I have a regular tongue weight scale, and experimented with our typical loadouts to determine where to tie down the car to get the proper tongue weight.

Something like that would be a lot quicker! :)

My only question would be if you could lock out the scale, so the load is not 'bouncing' on it as you go down the road. I would think that wouldn't be good for the scale components in the long run...

My only question would be if you could lock out the scale, so the load is not 'bouncing' on it as you go down the road. I would think that wouldn't be good for the scale components in the long run...
Yeah I wonder about that too, but they offer a lifetime warranty.

Can't you weigh tongue weight with a bathroom scale and some cut/measured 2x4 pieces?

Sure assuming your bathroom scale doesn't break when you put 500-700lbs on it.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

He's talking about a leverage trick with the 2x4s:

http://neotrailers.com/images/tonguewt2.jpg

In this example, only 1/3 of the tongue weight is on the scale, so you multiply the reading by 3. PITA... and still not great for heavier trailers.

• Moderators

That's a nice looking little scale, rodan. I think I would prefer to have a separate scale and a good WDH over a drawbar with a scale built in.

We just put a deposit on a used travel trailer, so will be hooking up the WDH that I've had sitting around for the first time. Should be interesting. When we get it loaded up I might invest in a tongue scale to really get the weight dialed in.

The 2x4 method is definitely a PITA, but better than nothing!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

There's a little adjustment required to dial in a WDH, so be sure to follow the instructions, or hit youtube when you hook yours up. It does make a noticeable difference in handling, it's just a PITA sometimes when parking, as you'll need to remove the torsion bars to back the trailer at any kind of angle.

• 3 weeks later...

Did brakes on it yesterday, Raybestos Enhanced Hybrid pads and Advanced Technology Rotors at all 4 corners. Pedal feel is greatly improved and the truck stops better too, and that's without the pads being fully bedded in.

37408863495_fba2214d0f_b.jpg

IMG_20170922_182508_914 by christobal65, on Flickr

2003 Baja 5MT

• 3 weeks later...

The pictures on the left is stock and the right is with a spacer. The spacer pushes the wheels out to where most aftermarket wheels would be. I'm not planning on driving this way, it was a cheap way to see if I'd like how it looks.

36987844724_2e4a9cdc1f_b.jpg

IMG_20171014_135749_993 by christobal65, on Flickr

2003 Baja 5MT

Slightly too far imo

I tend to agree with you, but unfortunately wheels the offset I'd need to put the wheels where I'd want them are few and far between. Additionally, most of them are stance style wheels. The Explorer uses 5x114 17x7.5 et42 wheels stock, it's GVWR is too high for a typical car wheel. The wheels which are available are typically for older Jeeps and have a very low or negative offset. It makes shopping for wheels a pain in the neck.

2003 Baja 5MT

IMHO that looks fine.

And I'm not a fan of "poke" on trucks (although it appears to be all the rage around here).

Some guy just posted this on one of the Ram forums... it's crap like this that makes me want to puke...

It should help you put things in perspective... :p

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/55c64e9ae4f8874e6dcf70869717c3bb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Teaser post....

I finally pulled the trigger on wheels and tires with the deals/rebates Discount Tires Direct was offering. Ordered a 16x8 et+25 wheel with 265/70/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires. Pics coming when they arrive :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

Archived