LegacyGT.com

07 Explorer

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's how they want you to do it? You can't just fill from the check tube?

There's no standard long dipstick tube on a 6R60/6R80 transmission. There's just a fill plug which also houses a stubby dipstick. As a result you have to fill from below :mad:

Glad to see this thread again. 6 months later I'm back and looking at tow vehicles again--a cheap explorer is pretty damn tempting :lol:

Just stay away from the 02-05 Exploder. Lots of massive transmission issues on the 5R55 series. Also stay away from the OHC 4.0 V6 as the timing chain setup is a pile of crap.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Haha yep got a nice burn on my forearm from the exhaust. Fortunately my gloves protected my hands from the cat. Also I followed the instructions from Ford Tech Makuloco. He recommends getting the fluid just to the bottom of the hatch marks when it's cool and running in park. Once it hits full temperature it will show higher on the dipstick because of the way Mecron SP and LV expand.

2003 Baja 5MT

I think the temp is 175-185 iirc. I don't recall knowing if the Trans temp was within range without a scan tool.

Yeah that sounds about right. I'm actually thinking about doing it again and putting on that extended pan to get even more fresh fluid in the transmission.

2003 Baja 5MT

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A while back I had ordered some Rancho Quick Lift Loaded shock/spring assembly. I finally installed them this weekend. My Harbor Freight Earthquake impact paid huge dividends and easily broke loose all the nuts/bolts for the project. Some of the bolts have an install torque of 250 ft lbs :eek: Overall the install went pretty well and its now riding a little higher, but the average person wouldn't really know it was lifted until you park it next to another 4th gen Explorer. Next up is wheels/tires, probably this fall/winter.

Don't freak out too much about the ball joint angle on this picture as it was freshly installed never compressed. Once the truck was back on the ground the angle is much better an it should settle more.

36506479316_9d980d6626_h.jpg

IMG_20170811_105628 by christobal65, on Flickr

35717978994_9e6c89c758_h.jpg

IMG_20170811_152112 by christobal65, on Flickr

This is before

36417325561_92c1cc9c91_h.jpg

IMG_20160802_181748 by christobal65, on Flickr

This is After

36506473006_6c7289406f_h.jpg

IMG_20170811_152209 by christobal65, on Flickr

2003 Baja 5MT

Looks good. I really like that blue.

Some bigger wheels/tires should really bring it together, if you can find decent ones. IMHO aftermarket truck wheels today are mostly pretty hideous.

What are you thinking for wheels tires? Chunky all terrains?

Nothing super crazy given the intended purpose of the truck for me. At the moment it has 245/65/17 on it. The stock 18 wheel setup is actually a half inch taller than the 17s. So even though I'm planning on 265/65/17 it's really only about 2-3% bigger than what the truck was originally designed for.

Looks good. I really like that blue.

Some bigger wheels/tires should really bring it together, if you can find decent ones. IMHO aftermarket truck wheels today are mostly pretty hideous.

Yeah I agree a lot truck wheels are pretty ugly. The Explorer uses 5x114 wheels and a car like 42mm offset which makes finding wheels a bit more of a challenge than I had anticipated. America's Tire/Discount Tire Direct has a decent looking 7 spoke 17x8.5 +18mm wheel I want to grab. It should look decently aggressive without screaming "Bro," and without compromising the gearing and towing capabilities.

2003 Baja 5MT

I've thought about just getting slightly larger tires on the stock wheels, but given that I plan to tow I like the idea of a little more square sidewall to help with stability. If I go with a wider and taller tire on the 7.5" wheel I'll introduce more sidewall flex.

I mostly want larger tires to correct the 3+mph error in the speedo since the 18" wheel/tire option had a larger overall diameter than the 17" my truck has. I don't understand why Ford set the speedometer to be based on an optional wheel and tire package.

2003 Baja 5MT

• Moderators
I bought my F150 with the max payload option. Didn't even realize that means 7 lug axles. Really limits rim options but I never cared too much about rims to begin with.

You'll never regret that option. Payload seems to be the limiting factor on most 1/2-ton pick up trucks out there. Not sure if 3/4- or 1-ton options are the same, but I would suspect so. Modern trucks can PULL an insane amount with the engines available, but the payload simply won't support the tongue weight plus crap in the truck in a lot of real world scenarios.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Not sure if 3/4- or 1-ton options are the same, but I would suspect so. Modern trucks can PULL an insane amount with the engines available, but the payload simply won't support the tongue weight plus crap in the truck in a lot of real world scenarios.

Payload rating on our 2004 Ram 3500 dually was 4415lbs. The 2017 is rated at 5690lbs! Insane for a "one ton" truck.

As far as 'crap in the truck' and tongue weight, we pretty much go for the gold with our camper and car hauler. :p

The payload of modern trucks is pretty damn good. A lot better than it used to be. The real limiting factor these days is tongue weight.

Way back in the day... before I was born haha, when these ratings were invented 1/2 ton meant you could have 1,000lbs payload.... 1 ton meant 2,000lbs etc. Today those really have no meaning... my F150 is considered a half ton... yet it can haul 3,000lbs payload... so technically it should be a 3 ton.. not a half ton. Today half ton just means 150 or 1500, 3/4 is a 250 or 2500 and 1 ton is a 350 or 3500.

Tongue weight though is generally around 800-1,100lbs for "1/2" tons on a back frame ball hitch. Many people ignore tongue weight... which is why you see so many trucks pulling trailers that weigh less than there max tow rating but their rear end is still squatting uncomfortably low.

• Moderators

Yeah, tongue weight and payload are both limits, depends on what you are hauling I guess. All trailer and no cargo, TW is definitely going to be the issue. However, a family of 4 plus gear going camping with a trailer, hello payload issues!

3000# payload on a 150 is awesome, I think mine is 1680 IIRC. Still not too shabby and will do what I need it to do.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived