LegacyGT.com

Thinking about going stage 2?

So I'm thinking and wanting to go stage downpipe an a full protune

But I'm about to hit 140,000 mile on my LGT, what is recommended to do at this stage of the engine to make it safe to go stage 2 or should I have nothing to worry about an just go ahead and do it.

Thanks in advance

every possible maintenance item due, plus any preventative maintenance you can think of. are you consuming any oil? how much? just a downpipe and a protune is very common and proven quite reliable with a good tuner. Just make sure the car is 100% mechanically sound.

Where in Texas are you ?

I think Cobb is in Austin.

If you can do a etune, www.tuningalliance.com is the best place. Tell them I sent you.

How does the idle and run, if it feels good you should be fine, if you think it's not running smoothly, a compression test make be in order before you add more HP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ive got about that much mileage on mine and its running strong at stage 2. I do have a good tune, which makes all the difference. that and I have done every possible maintenance item you can imagine to keep the car in good working order. all stock engine and turbo. I do not burn more than 1/4 quart over 3k mile OCI. it can be done safely, but you have to do your part to take care of the maintenance over the life of the car.

I would agree with bdfreetuna that a compression/leakdown test would be a good indicator of current engine health

Do all maintenance, have a compression and leakdown test done to establish the health of the engine, and if everything checks out, go for it.

If it's gonna blow up at stage 2 power levels, it's probably gonna blow up at stock power levels.

Have to also agree with coldsoda, it would be a good idea to check for shaft play in the turbo. My vf40 went at 142,000 miles.

When the turbo goes in 95% of the cases it takes the engine with it.

A little money spent now will have great payback in the future.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I 100% advise against this because "140,000 mile"

IMHO

I went stage two at about 140k. 186k now and just got my Blackstone report back, car is running flawlessly with no indication of wear.

IMO, if properly tuned, the car will be more reliable over the long term versus the stock tune. Especially after losing cats, and opening up the restrictive downpipe.

As others have mentioned, check the turbo out. Do a compression test. Make sure you're up to date on maintenance. You might think about a fuel injector service, and maybe a new pump.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Your welcome, Brian.

In case anyone missed this thread,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/going-stage-2-maintenance-needed-254777.html

Archived