LegacyGT.com

Which Legacy wagon should my wife get?

My wife and I took some test drives tonight, to find a replacement for her '96 Civic. Two of the cars we drove were Legacy wagons, and there is a good chance she will get one of them. The choices are an '05 LGT non-limited wagon, which they have discounted to $24.9K from the MSRP of $29.3K, or an '06 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition, which stickers for $25K, but I figure we could get it for $23K. Both have automatic transmissions, which is what she wants. The LGT would be more fun for me, but this will be her daily driver, and I will only drive it occasionally. It would be our primary car for out-of-town trips, during which we would share the driving. She is also concerned about fuel economy, and the fact that the LGT requires premium gas.

She is not an enthusiast like me, but she wants a nice car she can enjoy for many years. Obviously, the GT has a lot more power, but that's not as important to her as it is to me. I see the extra power as a safety feature for her, in terms of being able to make safe passes and getting up to speed on the highway, for example. Also, I would assume the GT has bigger brakes. However, the non-limited GT does not have power seats, which she would like. Also, the '05 LGT we would get has the black cloth interior, and she would rather get the lighter-color cloth. The '05 LGT has 500 demo miles on it.

The '06 2.5iSE has cloth interior, but also has power seats and a moonroof. She doesn't care about the moonroof at all, but she would really like the power seats. Also, the climate control isn't quite as nice on the 2.5i, and it has a one-disc CD player, as opposed to the 6-disc changer in the LGT. With the 2.5iSE being an '06, she would be able to get the exact color combo (i.e. the light-colored cloth) and options she wants. Of course, the '06 2.5i SE is ~$2,000 cheaper, is an '06, and would have basically no miles on it. Also, we would be in more of a position to negotiate on the '06, because there would be no hurry to buy it before it is gone, and we could shop around at multiple dealers.

Also, should she be considering an Outback? It would probably have to be a normally-aspirated model. I'm just not sure the higher price is worth it for our purposes.

I guess the question is, is it worth paying $2,000 more to get her an '05 LGT without the power seats that she would like and with 500 demo miles, or should we save the $2,000 and get the brand new '06 2.5iSE with the power seats and in the exact color she wants. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions from this community in helping us make this decision. Hopefully, she will be posting soon in the "New Member" forum.

You need to ask? Get a woman what she wants.

Seriously, the 2.5i has plenty of power for merging and passing, so safety isn't an issue. You just won't leave anyone at the light, if that's your thing. It doesn't sound like it's your wife's thing.

bottom line is get her what she wants... If she doesn't mind the lack of power, get the 2.5i...

I'd be willing to bet you can get the price of the GT wagon down even lower... Seeing as how it's an 05, honestly, i'd try and get that for 23,500 or somewhere around there. it hasnt sold for a year now.. it's sitting on the lot losing the dealer money. They want it gone.

You should not be paying that much for a non-limited model this late into the model year.

Without a doubt, get the '06 2.5i. Why?

1) Better gas mileage and it doesn't require premium - things your wife cares about. She'll be complaining about the fuel costs if you get the XT.

2) 500 demo miles on the turbo? No way I'd buy that car! It's been flogged during the most critical part of the break-in period.

3) If she's like my wife, the added performance of the XT will be totally wasted on her.

Agreed about the price....you should be able to get that GT for around 23k. I paid 23,798 for mine back in April of this year, it had 650miles on the ODO.

This LGT is an automatic, though, which adds $1,200 to the sticker price (probably $1,000 to invoice).

rfd425,

you have a GT right? you know the zoom factor but if your wife doesn't need it save the $$ for your upgrades! and there was a $1000 rebates on '06's recently so discuss that w/ the dealer too.

Your wife should create a list of the exact features she would like to have on a car. Then she should prioritize them: how important is, say, power seats to her?

She's already indicated some of this to you: she wants better gas mileage and regular fuel. That steers her towards the non-turbo version of the car, all else equal.

Then you two should review the list, and see which model or models best fit her needs. She may not be able to get exactly what she wants. For example, I don't believe that she can get power seats without a moonroof. (If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.)

Make sure that none of the features she wants conflict directly with what you would want, since you said that you'll drive the car occasionally.

Then start looking for those models, and look for deals on them.

Chances are that you will get a better deal on an '05 than an '06, for at least two reasons:

- there's a bigger rebate on the '05 right now ($2000 for an '05 Legacy vs. $1000 for an '06 where I live, but I think it's $1500 for an '05 where you live);

- dealers want to get rid of '05 models.

Many people have paid below invoice before the rebate for LGT cars (myself included). I don't know if you'll get that good a deal on an '06 right now.

But if an '06 has everything that you want, and you're willing to pay a bit more for it, go for it.

As for the Outback option, do the two of you have any intention of doing any off-road driving, even light duty? Jeep trails? Steep dirt driveways? Or, do you plan on doing a lot of trailering? If so, you might want to choose an Outback instead of a Legacy. Otherwise, go with the Legacy unless you find an Outback that has everything you want at the right price. The Outback is more expensive, taller, and it is reported to handle not quite as well as a Legacy (although still very well in general terms).

Finally, why is she looking at a Legacy to replace the Civic? Not that I'm trying to steer your wife away from the Legacy, but there may be other cars that do what she wants better. For example, if fuel economy is very important to her, there are thriftier choices than a Legacy. If she wants AWD but doesn't need a car the size of a Legacy, there are various options out there, from the Impreza to the Toyota Matrix. OTOH, if AWD in a family sedan or wagon is important--heaven knows that the Twin Cities get lots of snow--then a Legacy is an excellent choice.

My wife and I took some test drives tonight, to find a replacement for her '96 Civic. Two of the cars we drove were Legacy wagons, and there is a good chance she will get one of them. The choices are an '05 LGT non-limited wagon, which they have discounted to $24.9K from the MSRP of $29.3K, or an '06 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition, which stickers for $25K, but I figure we could get it for $23K. Both have automatic transmissions, which is what she wants. The LGT would be more fun for me, but this will be her daily driver, and I will only drive it occasionally. It would be our primary car for out-of-town trips, during which we would share the driving. She is also concerned about fuel economy, and the fact that the LGT requires premium gas.

She is not an enthusiast like me, but she wants a nice car she can enjoy for many years. Obviously, the GT has a lot more power, but that's not as important to her as it is to me. I see the extra power as a safety feature for her, in terms of being able to make safe passes and getting up to speed on the highway, for example. Also, I would assume the GT has bigger brakes. However, the non-limited GT does not have power seats, which she would like. Also, the '05 LGT we would get has the black cloth interior, and she would rather get the lighter-color cloth. The '05 LGT has 500 demo miles on it.

The '06 2.5iSE has cloth interior, but also has power seats and a moonroof. She doesn't care about the moonroof at all, but she would really like the power seats. Also, the climate control isn't quite as nice on the 2.5i, and it has a one-disc CD player, as opposed to the 6-disc changer in the LGT. With the 2.5iSE being an '06, she would be able to get the exact color combo (i.e. the light-colored cloth) and options she wants. Of course, the '06 2.5i SE is ~$2,000 cheaper, is an '06, and would have basically no miles on it. Also, we would be in more of a position to negotiate on the '06, because there would be no hurry to buy it before it is gone, and we could shop around at multiple dealers.

Also, should she be considering an Outback? It would probably have to be a normally-aspirated model. I'm just not sure the higher price is worth it for our purposes.

I guess the question is, is it worth paying $2,000 more to get her an '05 LGT without the power seats that she would like and with 500 demo miles, or should we save the $2,000 and get the brand new '06 2.5iSE with the power seats and in the exact color she wants. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions from this community in helping us make this decision. Hopefully, she will be posting soon in the "New Member" forum.

Why not look for an '05 2.5i LTD. It should be about the same price or less than the non limited GT, have all the extra comfort and convenience features, not require premium gas etc. I have the '05 2.5i LTD and love it. The power is adequate, the handling is above average. I'm coming from a supercharged 3.8L V6. There is certainly a difference in power, but I can't really say I miss it. It certainly isn't a safety issue for me.

Thanks, guys, for all the responses. As for the ltd. package, I don't think she particularly wants leather. The main attraction for her with the Outback would be that it is slightly taller, which would make it marginally easier to put our little girl in and out of her car seat (a daily occurrence), and marginally easier for our elderly parents to get in and out of the car (only a few times a year, since they live in different states).

I'm not worried about any conflict between what she wants and what I want, because it will be her car. She doesn't particularly like the MT in my LGT sedan, or the future stiffer suspension, but she's a good sport about those things when she has to drive it or ride in it.

We want the vehicle that is replacing the Civic to have AWD and considerably more cargo space. The other car we test drove last night was a new Honda CR-V, which is a great vehicle for the money. It just comes down to whether she wants a car or an SUV-type vehicle.

-Gotta roll with the crew here. You already have a GT so the power and fun factor is taken care of. I would get the wife a 2.5i and not worry about the gas, etc.

Of course, my wife drives my manual GT wagon once in a while and stomps on it when she does. She loves the power and CANNOT WAIT until I buy out the lease in 3 years and hand it over to her.

Get her what she wants. I got my wife a LTD. GT wagon 5 speed and she likes it, but the 5 speed is going to be a challenge she claims when our little bundle of joy enters the world in the next several weeks. She would have preferred a SUV like a Pilot last year, but I talked her into the GT basically because I wanted it. My old RX-8 turned out to be a lemon and I got a GT Sedan. The wagon is leased so we are relatively stuck with it.

You need to ask? Get a woman what she wants.

2.5i, from a guy who gave too much input when his wife bought her last car and she ended up getting what I, and not what she wanted:

If she is concerned about fuel economy and premium gas now, she will "remind" you every time she has to fill up if she gets the LGT.

This is getting harder. We went out looking again today, and we just figured out that the non-limited Legacy 2.5i wagon (including the Special Edition) does not come with seat heaters or the electric windshield defroster. These are features my wife would really like to have for Minnesota winters. It hardly seems worth paying $3,000 more for the limited package just to get those items, especially since she would rather have cloth than leather.

Now, suddenly, the Outback 2.5i looks a lot more attractive. It has the power driver's-side seat, and the seat heaters and windshield defogger. Are there any negatives to the Outback, other than possible marginally worse handling due to the higher center of gravity?

The Outback will have a slightly softer, more comfortable ride, due to the more compliant suspension. If you travel roads that are not in great shape, this will be a plus. I think the Outback will be a great car for your wife. And if it's an '06, the 2.5i engine is improved, with more power.

OK, I know I've been milking this thread to death, but now there's another wrinkle. One of our local dealers has several (8-12) 2005 Outback 2.5i's, similarly equipped, all with between 10-15K miles. As it happens, these basic Outbacks have all the features my wife wants.

Apparently, these were Hertz rental vehicles. Now, I know many of us would say we would never buy a previously rented vehicle, but at what point do they become a good deal? They are listed on the dealer's website for $21,995, but a salesman got back to me and said they have been selling them for $20,900. I figure that I could insist on a 5-year/60,000 mile extended warranty for that price.

A new '06, similarly equipped, stickers for $26,700. What do you guys think?

OK, I know I've been milking this thread to death, but now there's another wrinkle. One of our local dealers has several (8-12) 2005 Outback 2.5i's, similarly equipped, all with between 10-15K miles. As it happens, these basic Outbacks have all the features my wife wants.

Apparently, these were Hertz rental vehicles. Now, I know many of us would say we would never buy a previously rented vehicle, but at what point do they become a good deal? They are listed on the dealer's website for $21,995, but a salesman got back to me and said they have been selling them for $20,900. I figure that I could insist on a 5-year/60,000 mile extended warranty for that price.

A new '06, similarly equipped, stickers for $26,700. What do you guys think?

In the past I have bought a number of cars (GM not Subaru) that were factory cars. Executive perks, not rentals. Usually in service between three and six months with full factory warranties. The last one was three months old and had just over 3K on the clock and was 6000 off sticker. Using that as a comparison 21K sounds a little high for a 15K rental.

Archived