LegacyGT.com

well.... Just got a new (to me) 2K14 Legacy 2.5i

Well here goes... my impressions of the car after 1 week of driving it.

1. it is comfortable

2. my mixed fuel consumption is 32.1 mpg. This is a considerable improvement over my other car a 2003 Legacy L special edition that managed 24.9 driving the same commute

3. the CVT in this car is butter smooth and is fairly quiet overall but you do get a little bit of a whine when the engine picks up RPMs to hold speed (when you are increasing cruise control speed or climbing a hill

4. This car is HUGE compared to my other legacy and as such it seems ride much smoother.

5. The base stereo in this car... it's just bad, might have to remedy that with some better speakers....

The only things I have done for this car is

a. all weather floor mats from Subaru

b. leather shift knob from Subaru

c. leather wrap for steering wheel

^^In regards to the stereo, depending on which unit you have, there's a pre-set equalizer that really chokes a lot of the sound. Check out this thread on Tricks & Tweaks to learn how to access the secret menu in the stereo and turn off the equalizer for drastically improved sound.

Sadly, my unit doesn't have the secret menu, but yours might.

I have finished teaching my wife to drive

3. the CVT in this car is butter smooth and is fairly quiet overall but you do get a little bit of a whine when the engine picks up RPMs to hold speed (when you are increasing cruise control speed or climbing a hill

LOL, I assumed when you mentioned that you taught your wife to drive that you were teaching her to drive a manual transmission. [The base 2.5i is also the only model in 2014 that you could get the 6MT.]

Well here goes... my impressions of the car after 1 week of driving it.

1. it is comfortable

2. my mixed fuel consumption is 32.1 mpg. This is a considerable improvement over my other car a 2003 Legacy L special edition that managed 24.9 driving the same commute

4. This car is HUGE compared to my other legacy and as such it seems ride much smoother.

5. The base stereo in this car... it's just bad, might have to remedy that with some better speakers....

The only things I have done for this car is

a. all weather floor mats from Subaru

b. leather shift knob from Subaru

c. leather wrap for steering wheel

a set of speakers and subwoofer will help to make the sound even better. just an fyi :)

LOL, I assumed when you mentioned that you taught your wife to drive that you were teaching her to drive a manual transmission. [The base 2.5i is also the only model in 2014 that you could get the 6MT.]

I gave her the 2003 Legacy L special edition as her first car. It is in good (actually excellent) shape and only has 105K on it. I put 45K on it in the 2 years and 3 months that I had it.

as for the 2014 I hear a lot of people complaining about the gas mileage but I am just not seeing the issue.. I will hand calculate it out this week but when I filled it up it only 8 gallons to go 250 miles so I am more than pleased with the car. I drove a 40/60 split city/hwy.

Speed has a lot to do with it. I can crack into the low 30s if I'm doing a full tank of 65 MPH highway driving (with the occasional spirited on-ramp pull), but I'm looking at more like 24-25 if I average 75-80 on the highway and mix in some city driving. 75 average for the full tank only gets me up into the 26-27 range. Granted, different animal, but pretty similar in a couple regards.

alright fellas I did the fuel economy calculation vs the computer and this is what I got

Car 33.3 MPG

calculated

10.3 gallons for 330.8 miles = 32.4

so the car is .9 MPG too optimistic

for comparison cars that I have owned while working the same job for 11 years

1994 Honda accord 2.2L got 27.6 mpg on the same route

1998 Honda accord got LX V6 got 26.7

2002 Acura CL type S 3.2L got 25.9

2003 Subaru Legacy L 2.5L got 24.9

Archived