LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

I was referring to these small passages shown on that picture. Now, this is an LGT bracket (single AVCS), which is obviously different than yours. In any case, I think if RTV would have obstructed these small passages, it would have created even more problems I think.

Not bad to have 108-117F IAT and still maintain 195F. Very nice.

IMG_20200404_154731.thumb.jpg.71c8cb5d4685d7d14df71c556a84c0df.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon

The STI is headed to Pacific Raceways for the Saturday ST and NWMECS Enduro races. We're breaking in a new engine so will be running less than the ST class HP ratio, much less the SST class cars. So we won't be competitive in class but it's all in the plan to have either the STI or the 818R ready for the fall Cascades 8 hour enduro.

Boxkita are you going to be there?

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

The STI is headed to Pacific Raceways for the Saturday ST and NWMECS Enduro races. We're breaking in a new engine so will be running less than the ST class HP ratio, much less the SST class cars. So we won't be competitive in class but it's all in the plan to have either the STI or the 818R ready for the fall Cascades 8 hour enduro.

Boxkita are you going to be there?

free engine parts? heck yeah.

actually i might be able to show up in the morning for a bit.

free engine parts? heck yeah.

I really hope not! Hope to see you and anybody else that wants to hang out.

The races / new engine break in were going well. I'd do a 15 min qualifying, pull the AcceessPort data log, send it to Josh at Arcflash in Bend. He'd make a small change to the map, I go back out for the next session. Both the ST and Enduro qualifying went fine. In the ST race everything was fine then I saw my oil pressure had dropped a bit, then the oil temp alarm went off. Crap, somehow in the grid I had turned off the pdm switch for the oil cooler fan! I got it back on while running a couple 10 second slower laps and the oil dropped back down from 260 to 200.

Then the Enduro, another map edit. 20 minutes into the one hour race I noticed that I was losing front grip which I thought was greasy tires, and my lap times were slower by 3-5 seconds. Then at the end of the front straight Bang!. . CEL and dash lights go crazy, almost no power. I pull off the track behind the turn 2 corner station. I figure I've blown the engine. Crap.

Towed on a flatbed hauler to the paddock.

Boxkita is right there......he's always there at Pacific when I blow engines.....I tell him he's banned from coming to another of my races there ever again. :spin:

We discover the left front tire is shredded. The shredded tire has eaten into the wire harness that runs in the top of the wheel well.

y4mHgnl47sR-YlnXSdIfLtb2li_VpSMAFdSTX0AyWOGK8ka0HbNJ3pu6WL-O-68ZDPraAfP8-IDvwAxf5zMZVV_ONFxysz-BFYRVMN0ghX9Ga67QchdrlxJdwusf663Gtav_klzMRb7XC2E94uBjcZ_VuAlGkzm-C5C3mNQ0PMLdp9FO5xs7LMJY2-qjydoUkoc?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

y4mBZlmM-NovDIDPsciLR9ff6czn8F5YZDOx694bRdz-PC8IoPXb3zajpQF9iWOWcrToCYZU2MCTdP7u7HGwyiCkRkTNY6bESeVh06i6W3PvSqt1yYvGHiFCLNvWpCvYgJqyd5_cJ5uhPo7YeKvjiYxohrFHvQOPJs63KFlO0Tbc2ZyBq3u2P0VV-FRqsAqWLqA?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

y4mQgu_o-MfslwZviHEeAMV8YD3IbwOpWgfdyeWecoHRqcMpgpVtOhTnWCKq_mgSXfQpKL2gSAj127QcE-2lV1gVPPJ5ZOk_3BQqINRNmxyZU5G8Z6TxV--g5krsleEKCKRpXTiLOInM9FF5epa1lE8EqkGcL1GIq-5fEfyCYpwXfpg2k0G0oeduGSuIzBHQFJS?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

This may sound strange, but I was so relieved and even happy! We are going to redo the wiring and ecu anyway. This just moves the timetable up from next winter to much sooner, as soon as the wiring and ecu on the 818R is complete.

There were some warning signs which I failed to recognize in real time, but I see now. More good judgement > experience> bad judgement.

My helmet is just above the rear hoop because I didn't notice when we pulled the driver seat out to work on the fuel tank it didn't get put back in the same tilt bolt hole in the base. The stewards decided not to black flag me, but did meet me at my paddock space after the race about it!

y4mFJ-AoZbDNkD-tmSvyIUDiMyraEhd31JtIIyTt97hzBYQHeKWclk0f7RAIctei02tFT9IqQCjRhcZfbbDt2xQn1oPx91icDlQBIcS-KVFryxCadz71LLG_VnS3vqjVm0y5oJ6Xj5G6CsgF6E6yzUhjD2kWFHrQQvORQwUnWaudqrXxQWTiPn9Xjq1X955wXva?width=1024&height=682&cropmode=none

y4mRKauRGFjdPPeMocWA1QZUb9rjxUoaAnBz_ba74CP2SDirGUcXI3VXMFovyYJul9KyDPOqLpz7rSkL6TxsIK6uqktj44CagSN60PX6pyzavBl29nMSaEdkjvwodf6xq66V8PhBZEl6roGWKrA_T_0VTeipKfcVrcGgabWmKYsitaTp_BzV6vDqvjXq9GtgYnm?width=1024&height=682&cropmode=none

y4mQbUMsP1VIsofjuVV5qIBEySbKw5wLdO5DtQG9H4YpMqdQaCDg7rrg7GUseDV6sHGbNgPu5JO6nPseazhP9Vt95-JITKAXASh6B1vBY6bun2Tt2NbkcMIVZIKTYcbnLgEac3VuZxrZqF8AkypKfsOD4w71QokGjNLWvL1iiQhdhOdrn8nbOiAg9PwaN_N_KQL?width=1024&height=682&cropmode=none

The Radical SR3 is almost always the overall winner in our Enduro race.

The Blue Sake Bomber is back on track. Arcflash did an outstandingly quick job on the wire repair. We have put off the LINK ECU till November.

I'm heading up to ORP on Friday to instruct for Star Projects the day before the 24hours of Lemons race. My intent is to use the BSB for my part of the lead -follow exercise with my students. It should serve well for a test to be sure it's ready for competition.

Aren't there some type of wear indicators on those tires ?

Glad nothing real bad happened.

yep. Bang! yer tire wore out. :)

Race tires have a nebulous set of heat cycles before they are worn out. Heat cycle is basically per session . Tread wear is secondary.

Blowing a tire that went one cycle too many is common story. They are expensive so everyone runs until just before BANG! Having your blown tire shred your electrical...that's a Sgt.Gator special there. I'm sure my being there had nothing to do with that drama

• 3 weeks later...
Next race is this weekend at Portland International Raceway. I'll be racing in the ST class on Saturday and Sunday. I'm forgoing the Mini Enduro. It's forecast to be 109 degrees on Thursday, hopefully a lot cooler by Sat/Sun. It will be another good test of our cooling setup.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my friends has done a video narration of a race at Pacific in the SCCA T4 class. Three cars are 86 platform FRS's (but you can imagine they are BRZs.). I raced against these same three guys years ago in Honda Challenge, now they are trying to convince me to switch to the BRZ. The driver is a multi year class champion so it's worth listening to his narration of what he is thinking, and what he thinks his competitors are thinking, thru the race. I learned a couple of good tips on the track.

Hope you enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

We made one last mod to the dry sump system, an A.R.E. Spintric. It separates the entrained air from the oil before the oil goes thru the cooler, sending the air to the top of the DS tank.

y4mVAbudp6os8CGLUrjpV0zsxhYPNuQ6u92sEDEW8FiSKqsR8atGqA9atEWQnuyrQZDgHL0c5i_zdBbG7ZdEYv8HAIOMVXLxAPb7oYYVqwEh12zJwjrp85ZXd6GoRDNT5xGyXcfwiQChLDzTBNNu3OYkbmRIt0ZPEFfpPdCZlcpdKEV_WP3nJFso_926t8KhomD?width=480&height=191&cropmode=none

To test the new mod I went to ORP for a full day of stress testing the STI for the upcoming Cascade Festival of Endurance on Oct 16. After long periods on the track I would check the DS tank, no signs of air in the oil. And coolant temps were remarkably low, looking at my AP datalogs showed the highest coolant temp was 203 degrees for three seconds, 201 degrees for 35 seconds, and at all other times under 200!

The trans temp stayed under 200.

And to show how hard it was being tested the only problem that came up was the rear diff temp hit 275 degrees during the last session! ORP is especially demanding on the diffs because of all the turns and lack of long straights for a cool down. I don't expect the diff temp to be an issue in October at PIR, but we will be adding a pump and cooler to the rear diff over the winter.

Next up is dyno time for final race tunes, then one more trip to ORP for testing.

Good work Arcflash!

• 4 weeks later...

Our last race of the season is coming up October 16th at Portland International Raceway, the 46th Annual Cascade Festival of Endurance. It includes 2 hour, 4 hour, and 8 hour races all at the same time. We are entered in all three.

We think this is the last LeMans style start in North America.

In prep for the event we spent last weekend at ORP with final testing of the STI and getting wheel time for the drivers. This year we are partnering with 541 Racing to put two cars on the grid and share crews/drivers. We overlook the fact that they are bringing a BMW...

It is expected to be chilly and wet with showers forecast. Perfect Subie weather!

LGT Forum members from the NW have stepped up and are volunteering to crew. Boxkita is Crew Chief. Shralp is fuel, tires and action videographer. I'm still hoping pik1111 can make it too. Thanks to all of you! And anyone else who cares to join us. If you are interested in joining our crew please shoot me a PM.

There's no cost for spectators to attend. The LeMans start is at 12 Noon. We run into the darkness to race end at 8 PM. If you come out please drop by our paddock and say hello.

Brad Briscoe has entered their DP-01 Sports Racer, looking for an overall win. The drivers will be Dominic Dobson (former IndyCar driver), Andrew Evans (winner in class at the 12 Hours of Sebring), and Jim Froula (who owns RaceCraft preparing vintage cars), and John Hill (class winner at the 25 hours of ThunderHill, multiple time Conference Formula Ford Champion, and SCCA National Champion).

We're not competing with the Sports Racer class, but we have to be very aware that closing - overtaking speeds in the dry will be crazy fast. However if it rains hard and long anything can happen. Our team will be doing the Subaru Rain Dance!

• 2 weeks later...

Team Colonel Red Racing pulled out a win at the 8 Hour Cascade Festival of Endurance!

y4mn9LjxzmCm90_6McZyt8bb-3J9ZWiLyv15BAZ_tmQuNwA-GhIuTOIrC_syHWWgyGwOM9-Pp8T3I52m2mEQrtQ8ZIiv8dzakesDfsuueTWAIrGv-CWKb5TQtYJaMmHRO8YWVCs6P2UNggOkIevJxP8VPODrle1_8ZfKup556uhoS9vkRloTjiRKo1Le-nCAyPr?width=457&height=660&cropmode=none

y4mGtlg8VJ78QXoiATJW1nfqs8bIU8AN9n9fQdR9SZJqDsEY0ZTL9TfoB18GpKW-MnCD-SE9mc1uqAQRV4-fG4iMwqY_W6YVFWv6E5POyldNFiTQOVPLCNkZ0zKQdiOwiyg6YcOqSlex3QxUL8IHmetzTMZ2mE3w0lOAbo0PpW4uf10Q6EmsmGVJn0CsExOGNrQ?width=660&height=472&cropmode=none

We were entered in the 2 Hour, 4 Hour, and the 8 Hour. We knew the 2 Hour would be next to impossible with other top level cars in our class including a Superlite SL-C. But some of those cars would be moving up to the EU class for the 4 & 8 hour. Our only shot would be if it rained, hard. We were doing the Subaru pray for rain dance all week but alas, it was dry and 68 degrees. Perfect for the supercars. Not so for us to be racing them.

But in endurance racing it's not who smokes the fastest laps for 4 hours, it's who does the most laps at the end of 8. Sometimes the tortoise really does beat the hare!

First to drop out was our friends at Dragonfly, their Factory Five 818R broke a CV axle. We look forward to pitting our 818R against them next year. And good luck at the Thill25, we'll be cheering for you!

For the 4 & 8 hour the superfast car was a SVT Mustang with ginormous HP. In the curves we could easily stay with him because every time he slightly touched the accelerator the back end would go all over the place. But once the track straightened out he was gone! Then shortly after the 4 hour race his engine went bye-bye.

We continued to soldier on, eventually passing their lead and going into first place. Unfortunately at 6 hours we noticed some strange vibrations. We changed the front tires out. A little better but still there. We changed the rear tires out. That didn't help. At 6.5 hours our right front CV Axle called it quits. I was able to limp around back to the pits where it took a little bit to figure out the outer CV joint had broken completely inside the CV boot. However by then we were cemented in 1st place so rather than trying to swap in a new axle we called it a race.

Huge thanks to our Premier Sponsor, Subaru of Bend. Your support has been key to get us to this point. Thank You!

Also thanks to our tuner/fabricator and friends at Arcflash.

And thanks to our LGT forum crew member, pik1111 you did great job and are welcome to crew anytime!

Video next week courtesy of Frontside Productions.