LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT Shock Sensor

sdgarber

[quote name='StringFellow']Ok, here is the latest update. The dealer contacted Subaru and it is indeed supposed to detect a shock to the car. A hard slap to the windshield, a hard bang on the door/glass or the breaking of glass should set off the alarm. I dropped off the car at the dealer tonight and they are supposed to work with Subaru tomorrow to resolve the issue. I don't know if this is a good sign or not, but the dealer wants to know why my car (and several others on the lot - they tested these as well) don't work as well. I will update tomorrow when/if it is resolved. -S[/QUOTE] Straight from Subaru, here is the latest and greatest in regards to the infamous shock sensor. The perimeter alarm (if enabled and the sensitivity level set correctly) is supposed to respond to [b]repetitive[/b] "strikes" to the car. A basketball hitting the car won't set it off, nor will breaking the windshield. Repetive stricks (ex. stricking the steering wheel) would set it off. This information is straight from a high level tech at Subaru. Basically, it will work once someone has entered your car (which makes this option completely useless). :mad: If you feel feel like this option isn't what you expected, please call 800-782-2783 (Subaru Customer Service) and complain. Subaru has recieved several complaints about this option, so it IS an issue. I am off to the dealer to complain as well...... -S

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My perimeter alarm will trigger with a single hit to the steering wheel, the windshield or even dropping the hood from a couple of inches. I agree a basket ball won't set it off nor will rocking the car but mine works much better than described by Subaru. So, it is possible for it to function properly. My alarm was activated by my dealer and is set on #5, which I understand is a mid point setting that is suggested by Subaru. Try having your dealer adjust the sensitivity while you are there until you get a level you are happy with. Remember, if it is set too sensitive vibrations like you would find in a parking garage can set it off.

[quote name='rts']My perimeter alarm will trigger with a single hit to the steering wheel, the windshield or even dropping the hood from a couple of inches. I agree a basket ball won't set it off nor will rocking the car but mine works much better than described by Subaru. So, it is possible for it to function properly. My alarm was activated by my dealer and is set on #5, which I understand is a mid point setting that is suggested by Subaru. Try having your dealer adjust the sensitivity while you are there until you get a level you are happy with. Remember, if it is set too sensitive vibrations like you would find in a parking garage can set it off.[/QUOTE] The dealer set the sensor to level 3 and they said hitting the steering wheel will now set off the alarm. However, they were not able to get the alarm to go off by just hitting the windshield. They said a dealer in NJ was trying to get the alarm to go off by hitting the windshield, and after a few failed attempts they broke the windshield.:eek: At this point I will see what Subaru Customer Service and the dealer will do to make it right. It functions as engineered, but doesn't function as advertised (which is my complaint). If I by a car with a list price of 30K, I want all features to work as advertised. -S

[quote name='StringFellow']The dealer set the sensor to level 3 and they said hitting the steering wheel will now set off the alarm. However, they were able to get the alarm to go off by just hitting the windshield. They said a dealer in NJ was trying to get the alarm to go off by hitting the windshield, and after a few failed attempts they broke the windshield.:eek: At this point I will see what Subaru Customer Service and the dealer will do to make it right. It functions as engineered, but doesn't function as advertised (which is my complaint). If I by a car with a list price of 30K, I want all features to work as advertised. -S[/QUOTE] For those having trouble with the dealer properly setting and / or adjusting the Impact Sensor on the 2005 Legacy & Outbacks...I present to you a printable instruction page out of the Service Manual, it also describes the testing procedure... [URL=http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/05/Impact%20Sensor.pdf]Impact Sensor Instructions[/URL]

• 1 month later...
I think it's time that the gov't sets the record straight like they did with making the invoice price public info: if a manufacturer employs proprietary technologies for servicing, it should offer them to other mechanics and/or to general public to prevent monopoly by the manufacturer sponsored mechanics :p It's kind of a sad -- I'm starting to hate modern cars :cool: It was easy before with the old-fashioned technology -- a screwdriver fixed or adjusted 99% of issues and/or settings.

• 4 months later...
For those of you who dont understand why it is in valet mode from the factory, think about a trailer full of cars going down the road with their alarms blaring because of road vibrations, now think about a ship full of cars.....Hope this helped one issue, but they really should activate it as part of dealer prep when making sure all accessories are installed and working properly

[quote name='ineedone']For those of you who dont understand why it is in valet mode from the factory, think about a trailer full of cars going down the road with their alarms blaring because of road vibrations, now think about a ship full of cars.....Hope this helped one issue, but they really should activate it as part of dealer prep when making sure all accessories are installed and working properly[/quote] Well...it is a worthless option that I have given up on addressing. Doesn't do s**t, and according to the dealer and Subaru, works as designed! Keep it in valet mode....works just as well in the mode as well. ;) -S

[quote name='StringFellow']Well...it is a worthless option that I have given up on addressing. Doesn't do s**t, and according to the dealer and Subaru, works as designed! Keep it in valet mode....works just as well in the mode as well. ;) -S[/quote] I disagree that it is a worthless option. Granted a determined or professional thief will get your car no matter what alarm you have installed. But, with that said, if the alarm prevents that crazy eyed kid from borrowing my car for a joy ride and saves me from the potential problem of insurance claims, police reports and being without my car, then I say it certainly may be beneficial. My shock sensor is set so that it is sensitive enough to trip with a fairly minor shock but not so sensitive that I am getting false alarms. It did take the dealer a try or two to hit on the sensitivity that worked the best, but they were willing to keep adjusting until I was satisfied.

• 5 weeks later...
I had the problem of the alarm being set off by the shock sensor parked anywhere. anything from a truck to another car with an exhaust system. In the manual it says that your subaru dealer can adjust the setting. after plugging there computer in they found there was no adjustment option but only an on or off mode.

[quote name='Carlos']I had the problem of the alarm being set off by the shock sensor parked anywhere. anything from a truck to another car with an exhaust system. In the manual it says that your subaru dealer can adjust the setting. after plugging there computer in they found there was no adjustment option but only an on or off mode.[/quote] I believe that this is incorrect. My dealer adjusted mine. When delivered the alarm would not trip at all. I believe there is a one to ten sensitivity range. About four or five seems an appropriate setting for enough sensitivity without false alarms. Mine, I believe is set at four. If I hit the steering wheel with my hand or give a sharp strike to the base of the windshield with the palm of my hand the alarm will go off. If I drop the hood from about six inches the alarm will trip but I have yet to experience a false alarm. Have your dealer call Subaru, there is an adjustment.

I am in new zealand and trying to get things like this sorted out is a nightmare. i am happy with it disconnected but im with you on the point that there is adjustment for the sesnsitivity, its convincing subaru to spend more than 5 minutes on it.

• 3 months later...
:lol: [quote name='Carlos']I had the problem of the alarm being set off by the shock sensor parked anywhere. anything from a truck to another car with an exhaust system. In the manual it says that your subaru dealer can adjust the setting. after plugging there computer in they found there was no adjustment option but only an on or off mode.[/quote] There is an adjustment on the unit/box under the seat. But it probably won't help. I think the shock sensors ate made in Elbonia:lol:
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 5 months later...
[quote name='djsauce']OK I have read this whole thread but I am unclear on one thing. If I buy the Shock Sensor do I have to take it to a dealer or can I hook it up myself? cheers[/QUOTE]There are instructions in your NAV manual about how to turn it on and adjust the sensitivity.

Now i have a question. Is there a difference between the black secruity one and the beige one? I didn't even realize they came in different colors, but is it just to match the interior of the car you have (i'm assuming). Can you even see the sensor when it is hooked up under the seat? If not, why would they even offer it in 2 different colors?

• 2 months later...
In my car I can adjust all the alarm functions from the nav screen. There is a menu screen for sensitivity alarm on/off, shock on off. I turned the sensitivity to max on and I actually armed it while I was inside the car and bounced around to try to set it off. This shock sensor sucks ...I rocked the car as hard as I could and it would not trip the alarm..I am going to inform the dealership when I get my first oil change....

[quote name='Legacy18E']In my car I can adjust all the alarm functions from the nav screen. There is a menu screen for sensitivity alarm on/off, shock on off. I turned the sensitivity to max on and I actually armed it while I was inside the car and bounced around to try to set it off. This shock sensor sucks ...I rocked the car as hard as I could and it would not trip the alarm..I am going to inform the dealership when I get my first oil change....[/quote] I'm not sure the shock sensor is supposed to trip if you rock the car. Rather, I suspect is is designed to sense a sharp shock such as someone trying breaking a window with a baseball bat. If I rock my car it does not trip but if I drop the hood from a few inches or strike the rim of the steering wheel with my fist it sets it off. Even the heavy rumbling sound of a locomotive going by a parking lot even set it off one time.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Yes; sadly i found it out the hard way (after a break-in) that the perimeter alarm is not set up properly from the factory.

- push passenger seat all the way forward

- look under the seat, on the cross bar there is a black box attached to it via a screw

- remove the screw

- disconnect the cable to the shock sensor

- remove the faceplate to the shock sensor connection interface

- extract the board

- turn knob either one way...or the other to the max (trial and error)

- reactivate (or at least make sure your alarm is activated) per user manual

- tap on anywhere on the car body or glass; anything but a gentle touch should activate various alarm chirps and sounds; depending on the intensity of the strike

- reassemble shock sensor; good luck attaching it back to the cross member using the screw

Archived