LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT Shock Sensor

sdgarber

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='sdgarber']In the Legacy GT you can check the status of the security system settings (activated or inactive) by pressing the trip odometer button repeatedly when ignition is off. After one press, the gas gauge and odometer will activate and light up. A second press will display a readout of the security system settings on the odometer display. The alarm system in my Legacy GT does function correctly when it is activated. A blow to the car will set off the horn and lights. But my car was delivered with the system in the "inactive" or valet mode. I suspect that my car is not the only Legacy GT that was delivered with the security system in the "inactive" mode. Check your system status if you suspect your system is not working. It may just need to be activated. Also once the system is activated, the perimeter security mode still will not engage until at least 30 seconds after you have locked the car with either the power door lock switch or with the remote. I hope this is helpful. 8)[/quote] Pressing the odometer button when my car is off only cycles between the two trip meters and nothing else. Is there something else involved in this?

[quote name='inthedeck']not that I have tried it...but the 'quote' states to 'press repeatedly' and then something might happen. oh, Dr. Z, glad to hear that the remote was only a dead battery syndrome...that's what I originally expected. later, i.[/quote] apparently I have a NEW dead remote because the car is acting funny again. I have no range. Perhaps i can't leave the key's in my pocket at all. I would highly doubt that the battery in the new remote has failed or is weak again. I am starting to get concerned.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil'][quote name='sdgarber']In the Legacy GT you can check the status of the security system settings (activated or inactive) by pressing the trip odometer button repeatedly when ignition is off. After one press, the gas gauge and odometer will activate and light up. A second press will display a readout of the security system settings on the odometer display. The alarm system in my Legacy GT does function correctly when it is activated. A blow to the car will set off the horn and lights. But my car was delivered with the system in the "inactive" or valet mode. I suspect that my car is not the only Legacy GT that was delivered with the security system in the "inactive" mode. Check your system status if you suspect your system is not working. It may just need to be activated. Also once the system is activated, the perimeter security mode still will not engage until at least 30 seconds after you have locked the car with either the power door lock switch or with the remote. I hope this is helpful. 8)[/quote] Pressing the odometer button when my car is off only cycles between the two trip meters and nothing else. Is there something else involved in this?[/quote] Something is different with my car. I followed this method here: 1. Doors closed, go from the first on position (only the clock was on) to the second one (where the gauges light up) ten times, ending in the first on position (where only the clock lights up). 2. Open the door and close it. 3. Hit the trip button once (displays 'A' trip meter and gas gauge goes on), his is a second time (displays the 'B' trip meter), hit it a third time and I was able to toggle between 'S-on' and 'S-off' displayed where the odometer is. I would assume that this is the "security on/off" setting. I tried it as per the instructions above (clicking the door locks) and nothing happened. Just an annoying beep, but no display on the odometer. I have a Limited wagon with the perimeter alarm.. any ideas what's going on?

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Someone please confirm my method above. I think that the information posted on the first page doesn't apply to the new GT's. I know that the way that I described above made "something" happen. Need some confirmation though.[/quote] No you are toggling the needle-sweep on startup, and the long way around too! check out the procedure for it in the manual.

You guys must have missed sdgarber's post, the instructions are below: :P [quote name='sdgarber']Activating and deactivating the alarm. Deactivate is also the valet mode. Activate or Deactivate the alarm. 1. Sit in the driver's seat and shut all doors and rear gate etc 2. Cycle the ignition switch from LOCK to ON three times within 10 seconds, finally placing it in the ON position. 3. Within 10 seconds open the driver's door and then close it. The current setting will be displayed on the odometer/trip meter screen. 4. Within 10 seconds operate the driver's door locking switch as follows: To deactivate, or set 'valet' mode: Move the door panel locking switch to the unlock position (toward the rear) three times. The odometer/trip meter screen will display 'AL OF' To activate: Move the door panel locking switch to the lock position (toward the front) three times. The odometer/trip meter screen will display 'AL ON'. When the setting has been changed, a buzzer will sound and the odometer/trip meter screen will display the new setting. :D[/quote]

[quote name='GranTourer']You guys must have missed sdgarber's post, the instructions are below: :P [quote name='sdgarber']Activating and deactivating the alarm. Deactivate is also the valet mode. Activate or Deactivate the alarm. 1. Sit in the driver's seat and shut all doors and rear gate etc 2. Cycle the ignition switch from LOCK to ON three times within 10 seconds, finally placing it in the ON position. 3. Within 10 seconds open the driver's door and then close it. The current setting will be displayed on the odometer/trip meter screen. 4. Within 10 seconds operate the driver's door locking switch as follows: To deactivate, or set 'valet' mode: Move the door panel locking switch to the unlock position (toward the rear) three times. The odometer/trip meter screen will display 'AL OF' To activate: Move the door panel locking switch to the lock position (toward the front) three times. The odometer/trip meter screen will display 'AL ON'. When the setting has been changed, a buzzer will sound and the odometer/trip meter screen will display the new setting. :D[/quote][/quote] Didn't work for me.

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']Someone please confirm my method above. I think that the information posted on the first page doesn't apply to the new GT's. I know that the way that I described above made "something" happen. Need some confirmation though.[/quote] No you are toggling the needle-sweep on startup, and the long way around too! check out the procedure for it in the manual.[/quote] I knew that. :oops: :lol:

I just received my car, and it too had the valet mode enabled. Followed the steps and activated it, and at least it goes off as it should, but I think I still need to adjust the sensitivity on this thing. I rock the car, kick the tires, etc, and it still doesn't go off. But at least it goes off now when I open the doors while the system is armed..

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='sdgarber']In the Legacy GT you can check the status of the security system settings (activated or inactive) by pressing the trip odometer button repeatedly when ignition is off. After one press, the gas gauge and odometer will activate and light up. A second press will display a readout of the security system settings on the odometer display. [/quote] I just tried this and found more information. With the key out of the ignition and the driver's door opened: Pressing the trip odometer button repeatedly only toggles between the two trip odometer screens. With the key [b]IN[/b] the ignition and turned to ACC (First click), driver's door opened: Pushing first two times shows trip odometer screens. A third push displays [color=blue]S-on[/color] and a fourth push displays [color=blue]1-on[/color]. I'm sure that the information is right in front of me somewhere, but what does "1-on" refer to? For that matter, does "S-on" refer to the sweep of the guages then. I might be mis-understanding this procedure. I'm going to go get my manual and look at it. [size=6] [color=red]CLARIFICATION:[/color][/size] [color=blue]S-on[/color] and [color=blue]1-on[/color] are the settings for the max sweep of the guage needles and sequential lighting of the guages. I knew that a few weeks ago but I forgot. It's not related to the alarm. I have been able to test my shock sensor by locking/arming the car and letting the hood shut from a foot or so above after a few minutes. (as others have mentioned) If there wasn't a shock sensor in place or it was deactivated, I wouldn't expect the alarm to go off. It might be set too low, but on the flip side, it probably won't be going off falsely. I've got an aftermarket doppler radar sensor that I might like to try to hook up! I have one on one of my old cars (came with the Alpine 8040 system) that was pretty cool.

Okay. Here's some information that I hope you all might find useful! I found my shock sensor under the passenger seat and removed it for a few minutes. There are not external adjustment holes, but inside there is a potentiometer. Mine was not turned all the way down or up and I didn't change it at this time. Attached to the circuit board is one of Alpine's little gray shock sensor modules. There is a fair amount of circuitry on the board itself as well. (more than I thought there should be for a shock sensor.) It looks like adjusting the shock sensor is not the easiest thing, but if the potentiometer is indeed for sensitivity, it has to be removed from under the seat to adjust it.

• 2 months later...
Is this shock sensor "upgrade" really worth it? I have the option of getting the security upgrade with the autodimming mirror on a base model Legacy that I want to order. I'm thinking that I should just order the mirror and install it myself and forget about the security upgrade. What do you guys think?

[quote name='Rockinblue']Is this shock sensor "upgrade" really worth it? I have the option of getting the security upgrade with the autodimming mirror on a base model Legacy that I want to order. I'm thinking that I should just order the mirror and install it myself and forget about the security upgrade. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE] I don't think the shock sensor is worth anything. If someone wants to steal your car, or something out of it, they will. A shock sensor ain't gonna stop them. I only got the shock sensor because it was the only car on the lot in the color I wanted. Otherwise I think it's useless. :) My shock sensor also beeps and lights when cars with loud deep exhausts go by! (annoying) tom

tom :)

For those interested in after-market, a professional car-audio shop can install an aftermarket DEI (makers of Viper, Clifford, Avital) shock sensor (model used in their top line) for 1/2 the price of OEM. I have already spoken to shop near here, and they will order part and hook up to factory base alarm in my 05 OB XT.

• 3 weeks later...
The OEM shock sensor mounts easily, but according to the instructions I got with it, it must be activated by the "Subaru Select Monitor" Vehicle Integrated Unit // Unit Customize Impact Sensor equipage = ON Impact Sensor activation = ON I wonder if some of the port and or dealer installed shock sensors were NOT EVEN ACTIVATED. Yes we can activate or deactivate the alarm in general, but the shock/impact sensor seems to require something specific and different. Does anyone know how to activate the shock sensor without the Subaru Select Monitor?

OoOoO boy and here I was planning on getting the shock sensor to install myself. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread. Great info !!! Does the basic alarm that comes with the car go off if the doors are opened?

Archived