LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT Shock Sensor

sdgarber

The basic alarm will go off if the doors are opened. The "upgraded" alarm is dual stage, meaning that it will give warning beeps and flashes if there's disturbance but not a full-on alarm. I like this feature because while I hate false alarms, I would want the car to make some noise if someone was thumping on the glass to see whether I have an alarm or not. The perimeter/shock/impact sensor bolts right on to a rear crossbar behind the passenger seat, and the spare connector is sitting right there for you. It's also very easy to change the sensitivity of the unit, just remove the face of the box where the connector is, and slide out the circuit board, and there is a knob right on it to adjust sensitivity. The problem I have is that now I have to go to the dealer to have mine activated - I don't think that will be a problem, but if I could activate it myself that would be much more convenient.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the harness is there already it's plug and play deal? You say it's behind the passenger cross bar, do you mean under the base (vertical) section or the backrest (horizontal) section of the seat?If you get info on activating the perimeter alarm post it up.

The harness is already there, held by some blue tape if unused. Move your passenger seat all the way forward, then simply peek under the back of the seat and you will see the unused connector. There is a flat piece of black sheetmetal across the back under the seat, with a single hole. That single hole is for a nut that attaches the perimeter sensor to the seat. Plug in the sensor and bolt it to that sheetmetal and that's it. - will let you know if I figure out how to activate it.

Per the 2005 Subaru Legacy Service manual: [QUOTE]IMPACT SENSITIVITY ADJUSTMENT 1) Connect the Subaru Select Monitor to data link connector. 2) Turn the ignition switch to ON. 3) Select {Impact Sensor} from the main menu. 4) Make a {Sensitivity Adjustment Mode}. • Sensitivity can be adjusted in 11 levels (0 to 10). • Initial setting is 5. • Smaller number means more sensitive. • Larger number means less sensitive. 5) Turn the ignition switch to OFF, and then remove the Subaru Select Monitor. NOTE: • Set the sensor so as not to let the alarm on normal vibration (reclining to the door, hit the ball and etc.). • Set the sensor to operate the alarm with hitting the door or window glass, etc. continuously like a mayhem by robbery. • Ask the customer about parking situation for setting, because the alarm operate when the vibration not only the burglar but also the construction, etc.[/QUOTE] There are no instructions for adjustment by the end user/customer.

• 2 months later...
[color=black]Thanks for the instructions on where to find and how to set the perimeter alarm sensitivity. I had mine enabled this morning and was told by the dealer that there was no sensitivity setting available. After reading the previous posts, I increased the sensitivity of my alarm by turning the sensitivity knob (found on the circuit card) clockwise and it now works quite well. One thing that should be noted is that it uses an impact / shock sensor and doesn't respond well to just rocking the car. It seems to need a quick jolt to set it off. [/color]

The dealer told me the same thing. Actually at first they told me I must have some after market security system. So I had to show them my window sticker. Then I had to tell them how to adjust it. They finally used the select monitor and adjusted the perimeter alarm. If I remember right it is a setting of 1-12; where 1 is the most sensitive.

• 1 month later...
My car came with the optional perimter alarm. In the manual there is a chart of default settings for various systems. The default setting listed for the perimeter alarm is "disabled" (probably to keep the alarm from being constantly tripped during shipment of the car) so unless the dealer activates it on his own I suspect most are inactive. I had my dealer enable it. I believe the setting is #5. If you leave the window down, arm the alarm and then hit the steering wheel, the alarm goes off. I tried striking the base of the windshield with the side of my fist. Surprisingly, without very much force the alarm activated in its less severe of the two response modes. Supposedly with a stronger shock you get the longer alarm warning as if a secured door was opened. You can also check the perimter alarm by popping the hood, arming the system and then closing the hood. Mine will activate with a drop of only about six inches. It seems the alarm does not respond to motions such as rocking the car but appears to respond only to sharper impacts. Thanks for the info in an earlier post on adjusting the sensitivity yourself! However #5 seems to be a good compormise between sensitivity and not having a lot of false alarms like when in a parking garage where there is floor vibration or if a large truck goes by.

• 1 month later...
Bringing back an old thread since I just got my car,.. Can owners adjust the shock sensor on their own by adjusting the screw,.. OR,.. Do we need to go to the dealer for them to hook up? Since I got my car, I dont trust even the dealers with it,..You know how it is,..:)

I asked my dealer to look into adjusting my shock sensor....and they played dumb. Even though from reading previous posts, it sounds like other people have gotten their dealers to adjust. I was in a hurry at the time, so didn't raise a stink about it.

I tested my shock sensor out this morning, and it took some hard slaps to the passenger seat itself to set it off,..I tried first the steering wheel and got no warning,..only some hits to the pass. seat set it off,.. Thats a little to late as thief would be in the car to set it off,..:) Deer Killer,..let us know when you got something for us DIYers so we can adjust it,..Dont want to waste a day having my car at dealer just to set sensitivity and have them abuse my car too,.. thanks Kevin

See post 58 in this thread, evidentally there is an adjustment on the circuit board istsef within the sensor. My dealer activated mine and adjusted it. I believe it is set on #5. A rather moderate strike to the steering wheel or some other solid point on the car does set it off.

[quote name='rts']See post 58 in this thread, evidentally there is an adjustment on the circuit board istsef within the sensor. My dealer activated mine and adjusted it. I believe it is set on #5. A rather moderate strike to the steering wheel or some other solid point on the car does set it off.[/QUOTE] But is that way the "proper" way to adjust it,.. Even the manual says that you need Subaru (and ecu tool) to make the adjustment,.. Wonder if manually adjusting the knob on the sensor would cause damage to the sensor itself? Otherwise the manual would've said to get to sensor and turn knob to adjust sensitivity,...

I can't answer that from first hand experience. Other post indicate there is an adjustment knob on the circuit board. I guess there wouldn't be any harm in at least looking to see if there was, in fact, an adjustment knob present. If you are apprehensive about using your dealer, this may be your only viable option. My alarm was inactive when the car was delivered. (It does state in the manual the default setting for the parmiter alarm is "inactive") At first my dealer seemingly was not aware of the optional alarm and that it required activation. After I convinced them, the tech did activate it and said he set it on #5 as suggested by Subaru. From what I gather this is about a half way setting and seems to be a good compromise between sensitivity and not having a lot of false alarms such as one might get in a parking garage with vibrations to the floor etc. My alarm takes only a moderate tap to the steering wheel or other part of the car to set off the lower of the two alarm responses. The lesser response mode is a few waring beeps, the stronger is the same as if an armed door were opened. Wish I could give you more help. Good luck.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I think it only goes off if the windows are broken.[/QUOTE] That's what I heard. Kinda weird. I'll have to see because my car will have it I think, and I'll have to get them to adjust it probably. Hopefully my dealer is good about it.

I had a kid run his bicycle into the side of my car (dented the drivers side passenger door and a 3 foot scratch across both doors) and the car permiter alarm didn't go off. I have a service appointment for Thursday and I will ask them to ensure it is enabled and set to 5 for a sensitivity setting. As for the alarm only going off when a window is broken, that appears to not be the case. Here is the quote from the Subaru website for this accessory (no mention that a window has to break, just a shock to the car): [color=blue]2005 OUTBACK 2.5 XT WAGON [/color][color=blue][img]http://www.subaru.com/media/image/configurator/c.gif[/img][/color][color=blue][img]http://www.subaru.com/media/image/configurator/c.gif[/img][/color][color=blue][img]http://www.subaru.com/media/image/configurator/c.gif[/img][/color][color=blue]Security System Upgrade (Perimeter Alarm) [/color][color=blue]$77 [/color][color=blue][img]http://www.subaru.com/media/image/configurator/c.gif[/img][/color][color=blue][img]http://www.subaru.com/media/image/configurator/c.gif[/img][/color][color=blue][img]http://www.subaru.com/media/image/configurator/c.gif[/img][/color] [color=blue]- [/color][color=blue]Activates security system alarm when shock to the vehicle is detected.[/color] It would make sense for the permiter alarm to be disable when the car is being shipped to the dealer (preventing false alarms). Sounds like most dealers don't even activate the option when the car is delievered to the customer. -S

Has anyone successfully gotten the dealer to fix a permiter alarm that didn't appear to work? I had a 7500 miles service last night and I figured I would ask why my permiter alarm didn't appear to work. Well, after about 2 hours, they still didn't have any ideas. They also had issues with getting the regular alarm to work (opening a door after having the alarm set for 30+ seconds - they weren't waiting the 30 secs before testing) They are supposed to call Subaru on Monday and find out exactly how the permiter alarms funtions and how to test to ensure it is working. The tech was able to change the settings via the ECM, but he wasn't able to test it to ensure it was working. When I got home it didn't work and the alarm was in valet mode as well :rolleyes: . I turned on the alarm (as mentioned here in the forums) and it worked as expected. I then tried to get the permiter alarm to work...nothing. Not sure if the tech left the permiter alarm set to off. I wish I could just go to a dealer, grab their little computer programmer thingie, plug it in myself and set/test it. :mad: -S

StringFellow, I've had similar frustrations with my dealer. I had my LGT in for an oil change and asked them to check the settings on the alarm, since it came with my options package. They looked at me like I was crazy, but said they'd look into it. After they handed me the keys, I asked them about it...and they played dumb. I was in a hurry, so I didn't raise hell about it...but was frustrated with them. Hopefully your dealer will figure out how to enable it for you.

[quote name='Blaze']StringFellow, I've had similar frustrations with my dealer. I had my LGT in for an oil change and asked them to check the settings on the alarm, since it came with my options package. They looked at me like I was crazy, but said they'd look into it. After they handed me the keys, I asked them about it...and they played dumb. I was in a hurry, so I didn't raise hell about it...but was frustrated with them. Hopefully your dealer will figure out how to enable it for you.[/QUOTE] Your experience sounds so familar. :rolleyes: I will give my dealer the opportunity to call Subaru and get some details. If they still play dumb or don't have an answer, I will push harder. We paid money for this option and it should work. If it doesn't work, we should be refunded the money. I will update when I have more information monday. -S

[quote name='potenzaus']I just got a 2005 Outback LL Bean. It didn't come with perimeter alarm. Does it has a regular alarm, like when someone opens the door the alarm will go off? Thanks.[/QUOTE] Yes it comes with a basic alarm. Open the trunk, doors or hood and the alarm will sound. You also have the immobilizer key as well for the ignition. The perimeter alarm is an upgrade and is supposed to detect a shock to the car.

[quote name='StringFellow']Your experience sounds so familar. :rolleyes: I will give my dealer the opportunity to call Subaru and get some details. If they still play dumb or don't have an answer, I will push harder. We paid money for this option and it should work. If it doesn't work, we should be refunded the money. I will update when I have more information monday. -S[/QUOTE] Ok, here is the latest update. The dealer contacted Subaru and it is indeed supposed to detect a shock to the car. A hard slap to the windshield, a hard bang on the door/glass or the breaking of glass should set off the alarm. I dropped off the car at the dealer tonight and they are supposed to work with Subaru tomorrow to resolve the issue. I don't know if this is a good sign or not, but the dealer wants to know why my car (and several others on the lot - they tested these as well) don't work as well. I will update tomorrow when/if it is resolved. -S

Archived