LegacyGT.com

So my car won't start after a night of rain

It's a 2005 Limited GT, 5MT, 225,000 miles.

Last night/this morning in NJ it rained and when I went out to go to work the car would not start. The battery is good and the dashboard lights up. The starter doesn't even try to turn. As in, there's no clicking whatsoever.

So new contacts in the starter is one place to look (or just get a whole new one), cleaning the battery terminals is another.

Is there anything else someone else has had as a cause/recommendation?

Typically no clicking means a bad starter relay or lack of power to the relay. Unless the starter solenoid is part of the starter I wouldn't suspect the starter at this point. Unlikely the rain was a factor...just coincidence.

I would hope you did the free thing first and clean the battery terminals?

How old is the battery ? They don't last forever. 6 or 7 years is the normal long life.

I've learned to replace them in the Fall of their 5 year. I hate the thought of the battery dyeing in January.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm going to clean the terminals after lunch but the battery itself is about 1 year old.

I didn't mention it in the previous post but this car has been hard to start after it rains for a while. Today it just decided it was time to die.

Unless there is some water leaking into the engine bay I can't think of a reason why it would fail to turn over after a rain storm. But then I'm not a mechanic. Let us know what you find as I'd love to hear what the problem is.

Unless there is some water leaking into the engine bay I can't think of a reason why it would fail to turn over after a rain storm. But then I'm not a mechanic. Let us know what you find as I'd love to hear what the problem is.

Yeah it's strange right? But if you google something like 'car hard to start after rain/humidity' a bunch of stuff comes up.

Yeah it's strange right? But if you google something like 'car hard to start after rain/humidity' a bunch of stuff comes up.

Sounds like corroded battery terminals or grounds... I guess one rainstorm can be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

My Volvo still won't start... wish I could blame the rain :lol:

Do you have a leak, or clogged up vents/drains in the car? Otherwise I'm pretty sure the rain is a coincidence.

Not a coincidence, it's been hard to start after rain/humidity for a while.

I'm suspecting moisture buildup somewhere.

My Volvo still won't start... wish I could blame the rain :lol:

Do you have a leak, or clogged up vents/drains in the car? Otherwise I'm pretty sure the rain is a coincidence.

Not a coincidence, it's been hard to start after rain/humidity for a while.

I'm suspecting moisture buildup somewhere.

Sounds like you're on to something. If moisture is building up somewhere, it means that the drain channels are blocked up. Or, you have a leak. Has the windshield been replaced? Could be getting in there...

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Sounds like you're on to something. If moisture is building up somewhere, it means that the drain channels are blocked up. Or, you have a leak. Has the windshield been replaced? Could be getting in there...

The windshield HAS been replaced and WAS leaking....YOU might be on to something now. :lol:

I have a feeling I may just have to let this dry out then really get into it.

Describe hard to start after a rain.

As in it cranks and cranks and cranks before it fires up ?

Or

when I turn the key nothing happens ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Describe hard to start after a rain.

As in it cranks and cranks and cranks before it fires up ?

Or

when I turn the key nothing happens ?

"Hard to start" meaning it turns over first try but it seems like it's struggling to do so.

I just went out and tried again with no luck BUT....I hear something energizing when I turn the key to try to start it and it stops when I let off the key.

This has me thinking it's the starter itself because it sounds like somethings trying to send the signal to kick in the starter but it's just not responding at all (no clicks or anything).

Thoughts?

If it turns over slow, the 1 year old battery may not be working correctly. Auto parts stores can test that battery. What brand battery ? I use Max Everstart's from Walmart. I had great luck with them in a number of cars for many years.

If its the starter, they are fairly easy to replace. remove the TMIC, disconnect the + battery cable. two bolts and a wire and starter is out.

Most any auto parts store will have a starter or can get one in short time.

Thoughts?

If you think it's a leak, unplug the battery anyway and let the car dry out before trying to start it anymore. Or, tear into it... I'd start at the passenger side. Check the footwell for moisture (if found pull the carpet and hope you're not screwed), then pull open the dash on both sides. If you're not willing go the full monty and remove the entire dash chasing a leak, just leaving the covers off will help dry it out faster.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I'm going to start with a new starter.

The original one is still in there and I'd like a newer one anyway. It's got over 225,000 miles on it so I think it's had its time.

Plus replacing the starter isn't too hard as Max said (I took it once to lube up the gears inside it).

This happened to me a few times a year or two ago. Before you replace the starter, I would pump the clutch a few times while you try to start the car, that worked for me, eventually the car started right up. I think maybe the plunger on my clutch safety switch was stuck or messed up. I bought a new switch and everything with plans to replace it, but it hasn't happened since then. I think it also happened to me when it was raining outside, or had recently rained, can't remember exactly.

clutch.switch.thumb.jpg.2b763080e277a7da58029f4a4c202590.jpg

This happened to me a few times a year or two ago. Before you replace the starter, I would pump the clutch a few times while you try to start the car, that worked for me, eventually the car started right up. I think maybe the plunger on my clutch safety switch was stuck or messed up. I bought a new switch and everything with plans to replace it, but it hasn't happened since then. I think it also happened to me when it was raining outside, or had recently rained, can't remember exactly.

That's got to be a one in a million thing...

That's a binary switch... the engine wouldn't even begin to crank if the clutch safety switch was malfunctioning. If the engine is cranking, you should safely be able to eliminate the clutch switch from your diagnostic.

That's a binary switch... the engine wouldn't even begin to crank if the clutch safety switch was malfunctioning. If the engine is cranking, you should safely be able to eliminate the clutch switch from your diagnostic.

The engine is not cranking at all.

Car's getting towed to AZP, I don't have time to do this in a location where I don't have my tools.

The engine is not cranking at all.

Car's getting towed to AZP, I don't have time to do this in a location where I don't have my tools.

Ah, apologies... this confused me:

"Hard to start" meaning it turns over first try but it seems like it's struggling to do so.

In case it's of any help to you or any future readers, if you hear quiet clicks in the cabin and nothing else, those clicks are probably the relays in the starter circuit... A louder single click (from the engine bay) is probably the starter solenoid itself. Turning the key to very fast, repetitive clicking is generally due to a dead battery or poor connectivity.

If you hear the loud click (starter solenoid engaging) but no cranking, then it's likely that the starter solenoid contacts are worn. Cheap/easy replacement if you can find replacement contacts online (generally about 20 bucks or so). If you only hear the relays, then you could either have a bad starter, or bad wiring (among other, less likely problems).

Archived