LegacyGT.com

what kind of rotors??

akaziggy

The issue:

When I touch the brakes at high speeds (freeway) the steering wheel shakes like a belly dancer. Someone correct me if that can possibly be anything other than lousy rotors.

Why I'm pissed:

These rotors only have about 20K miles on them - so what the F? I obviously bought crap parts. I can't have that happen again, so...

...my question is:

What brands/types of rotors should I look for? My car needs better.

Now, I'm a "you-get-what-you-pay-for" kind of guy. I know quality parts aren't free. But I can't get another mortgage to buy rotors.

Thoughts??

It could be brake pad deposits on the rotors, which seems likely given the low amount of miles on the rotors. You can fix it by doing several hard stops in a row from about 60 mph down to 5 mph or so, driving for a minute to let the rotors and pads cool, then repeat 4-5 times.

You can search breaking in pads on this site for a more detailed explanation.

The issue:

When I touch the brakes at high speeds (freeway) the steering wheel shakes like a belly dancer. Someone correct me if that can possibly be anything other than lousy rotors.

Why I'm pissed:

These rotors only have about 20K miles on them - so what the F? I obviously bought crap parts. I can't have that happen again, so...

...my question is:

What brands/types of rotors should I look for? My car needs better.

Now, I'm a "you-get-what-you-pay-for" kind of guy. I know quality parts aren't free. But I can't get another mortgage to buy rotors.

Thoughts??

im partial for the dba 4k. the lighter weight reduces unsprung mass and rotational mass. less unsprung feels good on the suspension. more compliant and active. less rotational mass is like the feeling of reducing heat soak.

i briefly checked stop tech and the weights seem to be about the same but havent tried them yet AND they are cheaper than dba.

As other have stated, the 4th Gen's are know to build up brake dust on the pads.

The normal fix is to re-bed the brakes.

Do 4 or 5 almost stops from 55mph to 5mph, Then drive for a mile without touching the brakes.

A few years back after coming down the Mt Washington Auto Road, my brakes felt great for a while. You need to get really hot to burn the dust out of them.

That is when the wagon had Hawk Ceramic pads. They were for a DD but like most pads, need a good cleaning every now and then. I currently have Brake Performance rotors and ceramic pads on the wagon, they work good too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good info guys. I'm looking at getting my new brakes and the consensus I've gotten is centric premium rotors, but what pads are best? I'm looking at the akebono PRO-ACT or posi-quiet ceramics. I know there is hawk HPS too. This is for a DD GT wagon with about 280awhp.

Good info guys. I'm looking at getting my new brakes and the consensus I've gotten is centric premium rotors, but what pads are best? I'm looking at the akebono PRO-ACT or posi-quiet ceramics. I know there is hawk HPS too. This is for a DD GT wagon with about 280awhp.

I just put Hawk HPS on my 3.0R and I love them.

If it isn't pad dust, the next easiest thing to check is your lug nuts. Make sure they are torqued all the same. I think factory spec is 89 ft lbs. If some are tight and some lose, iirc that can help warp rotors.

its 90 nm or 66.5 ftlbs

Can't tell if you're just trolling, but Nm is the abbreviation for newton-meters. It's how you specify torque in the SI system.

wow.

uh. ok.

the poster typed "nm" LOWER case n. meaning nano meter. capital n "N" would mean newton as in Nm.

its 423am here and it can be a bit rough for some this early but im 100% positive i read the post correctly and then correctly teased him.

if you want we can use the spring constant then compute rebound with mass and apply it to a cars suspension. it would be super nice to have numbers down to get a rough estimate on how a suspension may actually be. with mass we can reduce some weight and call it unsprung weight. should see some cool things after that.

Yep, you were trolling per the usual. You capitalize nothing and then attempt to tease the poster above for not capitalizing.

You can try to sound smart by rambling on about mass and springs, but freshman level physics aren't going to impress anyone.

Yep, you were trolling per the usual. You capitalize nothing and then attempt to tease the poster above for not capitalizing.

You can try to sound smart by rambling on about mass and springs, but freshman level physics aren't going to impress anyone.

sounds like you like to eat a lot of cheese.

try? its easy when im around people like you.

Archived