LegacyGT.com

EJ25 Block Variations

Yes a ej255 and ej257 are currently the same when you order one from Subaru. They are like $1645 from Heuberger a Vendor here. Click on the Vendor in the blue bar up top.

You then order the gasket set for your car. Read the stickys at the top of the Engine Rebuild forum above this one.

Oh see my click here link too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks Max, but I mean a bare block, not a short block. Essentially I'd like to buy a core block, have a local shop machine it, then add a nitride crank and forged rods and pistons. I'd like to know if I can buy a non turbo core and only use the block halves with my heads and stuff.

Yes mine is an lgt. My question is if the blocks are the same. If they are the same, it won't matter if it was turbo or non turbo or what type of subaru it came out of.

I'm wondering it is like a small block Chevy. Yes it came in many different vehicles, but the blocks were mostly the same for 50 years. Just the peripherals change.

Even if you buy that $300 block, your still going to need to have it machined for the crank you put in it. Plus buy the parts then put it all together.

When you look at the bigger picture...that's why my trusted machine shop told me to buy a OEM short block instead of paying them to rebuild mine, stock.

I have over 72,000 miles on that engine at 21psi. knock on wood, the engine and its systems have been reliable. I've replace the front O2 sensor a few times of the years, but all other sensors and stuff on the engine are original.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I understand the cost. I have a local shop that has done my prior work. I would like to use forged rods and pistons. I have also looked at buying an OEM short block and I have decided thats not a route I want to take, even if I end up paying a couple hundred more. I am not looking to make stupid power, but I want an overbuilt motor. I am not willing to spend 4k on a stage 3 short block though. I don't want to say ring lands, but ring lands.

I guess another option would be buy and OEM short block, pull and sell the pistons and replace them with forged. I don't know how the factory rods hold up to power, but the main issues I've read about are piston problems. I would then have about 2300 in it, minus what the stock pistons are worth.

If you search "ej255" or "ej257" a few results pop up for brand new shorblocks with forged pistons already installed from a few raceshops on ebay.

Here is one for $2750 Buy it now w/ free shipping and CP forged pistons already installed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-NEW-OEM-Shortblock-EJ257-2-5L-STi-Block-CP-Forged-Pistons-OEM-Rods-/231370634791?hash=item35dec3b627:m:m5SMfSrLX2HiGz4mBQUWN-w&vxp=mtr

What are your HP goals ?

The stock rods will hold up well until your over 400whp.

Is this going to be your DD ?

These cars don't like to be driven short distances and then shut off all the time, they do much better if you have a long DD.

The life of the pistons, is all in the tune. http://www.tuningalliance.com is who you want to get your e-tune from.

Max,

I would like to be close to 400whp, it is and will still be my daily driver.

Run time isn't an issue as I commute hours a day for work.

I planned on having a conservative tune done at a shop about an hour from me. My line of thought is if I spend the money on good parts and don't push them to limits I would have a more reliable and longer living car. I considered trading it in on an FA WRX, but I like this car to much.

IMO for one of these to be a DD with that kind of WHP is pushing the envelop. Forged pistons don't seem to be the choice for high mileage life.

My wagon will spin the tires on cold pavement in a roll on in 1st gear at times. Do you really need another 100whp in a DD. Just trying to point out, "be careful what you wish for".

You sound like you want a long term reliable DD, 400whp is not the answer.

I told another member here over the weekend. I have over 70,000 miles on my wagon with a stock ej257, dynoed at 21psi. I picked the car from my Tuner yesterday, he replaced the plugs, I hate that job on these cars, he did a log, made a couple small tweaks and the car is still pushing 19.5psi with the vf52.

I have DD'd a 500+ HP car before and it was not pleasant, I would not go back to that. I've also DD'd 350 HP cars and it seemed like a lot was left on the table and I felt myself wanting more. These engines all had 4 more cylinders, I have never pushed a 4 cylinder let alone a boxer, to find out what is comfortable and what isn't. If the only thing about having a 400hp car is that you think would intimidate me on the road, I assure you it won't :)

But the reliability I am concerned about, I would like to make the best choices for the car to run another 100k, but also be much more fun to drive. If shooting for 400hp is to much, it is what it is, I'll make what I can safely. Being the fastest isn't my goal, but it would still be fun to have some more power in my grocery getter.

My dyno #'s are on a true reading heart breaker Mustang Dyno. The car feels like more then 280whp.

I do have a little work done in the valve pockets on the heads. My wagon is a blast in 2nd and 3rd gear.

You should talk with Mike Kinsman of TA. He'll have thought's on a little bigger turbo and can get you a reliable 330-350WHP.

You'll want his tune to get you safely to that mileage.

Unless you're really dead set on having your local shop do this, I'd suggest talking to the folks at Rallispec. One of the east coasts premier Subaru engine builders with tons of experience with high HP motors. They have various tiers you can choose for your build and these can even be tweaked. Good value for the money and well respected in the Subaru community. I'm really happy with their street spec option and it was less than $200 shipped door to door to me here in Portland, OR. I opted to modify my build from the custom Mahle pistons they have spec' for them to Cosworth units for a small upcharge. This was only because the Mahle units were backordered and they didn't want to make me wait.

My dyno #'s are on a true reading heart breaker Mustang Dyno. The car feels like more then 280whp.

I do have a little work done in the valve pockets on the heads. My wagon is a blast in 2nd and 3rd gear.

You should talk with Mike Kinsman of TA. He'll have thought's on a little bigger turbo and can get you a reliable 330-350WHP.

You'll want his tune to get you safely to that mileage.

Thanks, after reading what you had said about TA I checked them out. Focus sounded very much on building SAFE power and thats exactly the kind of tuner I need. Now I have to reinstall RR, wiped my laptop recently :(

Unless you're really dead set on having your local shop do this, I'd suggest talking to the folks at Rallispec. One of the east coasts premier Subaru engine builders with tons of experience with high HP motors. They have various tiers you can choose for your build and these can even be tweaked. Good value for the money and well respected in the Subaru community. I'm really happy with their street spec option and it was less than $200 shipped door to door to me here in Portland, OR. I opted to modify my build from the custom Mahle pistons they have spec' for them to Cosworth units for a small upcharge. This was only because the Mahle units were backordered and they didn't want to make me wait.

I will check out this shop. I definitely see the perks of going with an experienced Subaru builder.

Another question, still on topic, most of these short blocks I am seeing ship standard shipping.

Max I notice in your pictures the box has skid board for a fork lift, can these actually be delivered standard shipping and are they to large/heavy to load myself at the shipping facility? I have loaded a 5.3 iron block into the back of a TC, I assume these blocks are much easier than that,even including internals.

Yup my short block came from Rallispec in the box that Subaru ships from the factory. Its made to handle the weight and form of the EJ series lump and showed up in great shape. Shocking how small the short block is without everything else attached to it :)

Thanks, after reading what you had said about TA I checked them out. Focus sounded very much on building SAFE power and thats exactly the kind of tuner I need. Now I have to reinstall RR, wiped my laptop recently :(

I will check out this shop. I definitely see the perks of going with an experienced Subaru builder.

I'll throw another vouch in for Mike/Tuning Alliance. I'm pushing about 270whp/315tq on the same Mustang dyno with my car. Enough to spin the wheels in 1st and 2nd from a rolling start. Can't say much personally about safety/longevity (reliability and drivability, however... rock solid), but I know Max isn't the only one on here who can vouch for that. I think one of the highest mileage LGTs on the forums (HAMMER DOWN) is also TA-tuned.

That said... can anyone answer the OP's actual original question (whether the EJ255 and 257 cases are the same, regardless of N/A or turbo'd)?

As for the blocks being the same, I'll say yes, a ej255 as the same as a ej257.

I guess it kind of makes sense that a ej253 casting would be the same also.

I'm sure someone at Grimmspeed or www.AZPinstalls.com might know. The guy's at Andrewtech in VA might know too.

Or, just google the question,

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=is+a+ej253+the+same+block+as+a+ej257

Archived